    like a small Windows OS on there. Is there any good reason for that to
    be there? If not what would be your best guess.
    The General
    The General, Apr 29, 2009

  2. The General

    joe Guest

    The General wrote:

    > I am pretty good with tech support for most computer problems. But, I
    > found a problem I have never seen before so here goes.
    > My daughter gave me an HP Pavilion dv5115nr Notebook. I started doing
    > basic clean up when I got to the hard drive I wanted to add a partition
    > and that went fine. The partition program showed something strange. Not
    > only the normal C:, D:HP_Recovery E:there was a 1gig partition with no
    > letter and 587.04 MB used. I started digging around in it and it looked
    > like a small Windows OS on there. Is there any good reason for that to
    > be there? If not what would be your best guess.
    > The General

    That maybe the software for the quick play feature that allows you to play a
    DVD without booting a full blown OS.
    joe, Apr 29, 2009

  3. The General

    The General Guest

    joe wrote:
    > The General wrote:
    >
    >> I am pretty good with tech support for most computer problems. But, I
    >> found a problem I have never seen before so here goes.
    >> My daughter gave me an HP Pavilion dv5115nr Notebook. I started doing
    >> basic clean up when I got to the hard drive I wanted to add a partition
    >> and that went fine. The partition program showed something strange. Not
    >> only the normal C:, D:HP_Recovery E:there was a 1gig partition with no
    >> letter and 587.04 MB used. I started digging around in it and it looked
    >> like a small Windows OS on there. Is there any good reason for that to
    >> be there? If not what would be your best guess.
    >> The General

    > That maybe the software for the quick play feature that allows you to play a
    > DVD without booting a full blown OS.

    Can it be removed?
    The General, Apr 29, 2009
  4. The General

    Ben Myers Guest

    The General wrote:
    > I am pretty good with tech support for most computer problems. But, I
    > found a problem I have never seen before so here goes.
    > My daughter gave me an HP Pavilion dv5115nr Notebook. I started doing
    > basic clean up when I got to the hard drive I wanted to add a partition
    > and that went fine. The partition program showed something strange. Not
    > only the normal C:, D:HP_Recovery E:there was a 1gig partition with no
    > letter and 587.04 MB used. I started digging around in it and it looked
    > like a small Windows OS on there. Is there any good reason for that to
    > be there? If not what would be your best guess.
    > The General

    The partition with no letter is a hidden partition with a partition code
    not recognized by Windows, hence no drive letter. It is either an
    adjunct to the recover partition, or a diagnostic, or something
    completely different.

    You could use the Ranish partition manager (or another similar bit of
    software) to determine the partition code, and to even change it to a
    known type, either FAT32 (my guess) or NTFS. Thereafter, you could
    examine it and see what is in it. Finally, you could change it back to
    its original partition code... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Apr 29, 2009
  5. The General

    Ben Myers Guest

    The General wrote:
    > joe wrote:
    >> The General wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am pretty good with tech support for most computer problems. But, I
    >>> found a problem I have never seen before so here goes.
    >>> My daughter gave me an HP Pavilion dv5115nr Notebook. I started doing
    >>> basic clean up when I got to the hard drive I wanted to add a partition
    >>> and that went fine. The partition program showed something strange. Not
    >>> only the normal C:, D:HP_Recovery E:there was a 1gig partition with no
    >>> letter and 587.04 MB used. I started digging around in it and it looked
    >>> like a small Windows OS on there. Is there any good reason for that to
    >>> be there? If not what would be your best guess.
    >>> The General

    >> That maybe the software for the quick play feature that allows you to
    >> play a
    >> DVD without booting a full blown OS.
    >>

    > Can it be removed?

    See my earlier reply. First, figure out what it is and how useful it
    may be. If you feel it is useless, remove it. But if it is not
    contiguous to the C: partition, it'll simply be another 1GB partition
    used to store data. Not too useful to me in this era of drives with
    hundreds of GB of capacity... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Apr 29, 2009