    Is this the best way to do it...keep the Win98 backup in FAT32 format?

    Thanks!
    Scott
    Scott, Sep 21, 2009

  2. Scott

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:R4Atm.165529$,
    Scott typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:49:36 -0500:
    > I have two Win98 machines and two WinXP machines. I put Acronis images
    > for their hard drives on a 500GB external WD drive. I divided the
    > external drive into two partitions. I thought I had formatted the
    > Win98 backup partition to FAT32, but I just checked and both
    > partitions are NTFS. Apparently, in WinXP, you cannot format a
    > partition larger than 32GB in FAT32 file format.

    Sure XP can format larger than 32GB in FAT32, as I do it all of the
    time.

    > What puzzles me is that I've restored the hard drive on both of my
    > Win98 machines several times from the Acronis image stored in NTSF
    > format, and the computers work fine. Does Acronis compensate for the
    > different file formats when it restores?

    Yes, although you are doing the restoring from XP and not 98, right?

    > I've ordered a larger external WD drive for backup. I'm thinking I
    > should back up the Win98 drive images in FAT32 file format. I've found
    > a program called Swiss Knife that will format a partition for FAT32 in
    > larger than the 32GB size, which sounds like what I need.
    >
    > Is this the best way to do it...keep the Win98 backup in FAT32 format?

    You are running Acronis True Image only under Windows XP, right? If so,
    it shouldn't really matter if it is in NTFS or FAT32. It is really a
    personal preference.

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    BillW50, Sep 21, 2009

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message news:h984mo$894$-september.org...
    > In news:R4Atm.165529$,
    > Scott typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:49:36 -0500:
    >> I have two Win98 machines and two WinXP machines. I put Acronis images
    >> for their hard drives on a 500GB external WD drive. I divided the
    >> external drive into two partitions. I thought I had formatted the
    >> Win98 backup partition to FAT32, but I just checked and both
    >> partitions are NTFS. Apparently, in WinXP, you cannot format a
    >> partition larger than 32GB in FAT32 file format.

    > Sure XP can format larger than 32GB in FAT32, as I do it all of the time.
    >
    >> What puzzles me is that I've restored the hard drive on both of my
    >> Win98 machines several times from the Acronis image stored in NTSF
    >> format, and the computers work fine. Does Acronis compensate for the
    >> different file formats when it restores?

    > Yes, although you are doing the restoring from XP and not 98, right?
    >
    >> I've ordered a larger external WD drive for backup. I'm thinking I
    >> should back up the Win98 drive images in FAT32 file format. I've found
    >> a program called Swiss Knife that will format a partition for FAT32 in
    >> larger than the 32GB size, which sounds like what I need.
    >>
    >> Is this the best way to do it...keep the Win98 backup in FAT32 format?

    > You are running Acronis True Image only under Windows XP, right? If so, it shouldn't really
    > matter if it is in NTFS or FAT32. It is really a personal preference.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    > Windows XP SP2

    Bill,

    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm running Acronis True Image on
    both my Win98 and WinXP machines...so I restore accordingly. I'm trying
    to figure out why the partition with the Win98 Acronis image for the Win98
    machine is in NTFS format. I read online that XP cannot format larger than
    32GB in FAT32, but if you do it all the time, I should then be able to.

    Anyway, I have the SwissKnife program that will format the Win98 backup
    image file in FAT32. I assume that's the format to use when restoring to a
    Win98 machine.

    Thanks!
    Scott
    Scott, Sep 21, 2009
  4. Scott

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:cwTtm.202865$,
    Scott typed on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:55:47 -0500:
    > Bill,
    >
    > Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm running Acronis True Image
    > on both my Win98 and WinXP machines...so I restore accordingly. I'm
    > trying to figure out why the partition with the Win98 Acronis image
    > for the Win98 machine is in NTFS format.

    Oh okay, Scott. I believe the Acronis True Image restore CD can read
    NTFS. So even in NTFS you should be ok. But I don't understand how you
    can be backing up with Acronis True Image under Windows 98 and Acronis
    True Image is saving it to NTFS. If that is true, Acronis True Image
    must be writing NTFS even under Windows 98. If true, I wouldn't worry
    about changing it over to FAT32.

    > I read online that XP cannot format larger than 32GB in FAT32, but if
    > you do it all the time, I should then be able to.

    Well I believe I was anyway. I just Googled it and Google even says you
    can't. Maybe I was mistaken. I'll install an old 60GB hard drive I have
    in the drawer and see if Windows XP will format it in FAT32. As I have
    many large drives in FAT32 format and I don't recall having a problem
    formatting them. I could have used a partition manager I suppose.

    > Anyway, I have the SwissKnife program that will format the Win98
    > backup image file in FAT32. I assume that's the format to use when
    > restoring to a Win98 machine.

    Before you do, did you read stuff like this about the program?

    http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...89-fat32-127-gb-limit-formatting-utitlty.html

    BillW50, Sep 22, 2009
  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message news:h9amio$25u$-september.org...
    > In news:cwTtm.202865$,
    > Scott typed on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:55:47 -0500:
    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm running Acronis True Image on both my Win98 and
    >> WinXP machines...so I restore accordingly. I'm trying to figure out why the partition with
    >> the Win98 Acronis image for the Win98 machine is in NTFS format.

    > Oh okay, Scott. I believe the Acronis True Image restore CD can read NTFS. So even in NTFS
    > you should be ok. But I don't understand how you can be backing up with Acronis True Image
    > under Windows 98 and Acronis True Image is saving it to NTFS. If that is true, Acronis True
    > Image must be writing NTFS even under Windows 98. If true, I wouldn't worry about changing
    > it over to FAT32.

    I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it wouldn't
    accept a larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I put it in NTFS
    format. I've restored to Win98 in this format several times with no problem.

    I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a FAT32
    partition.

    >> I read online that XP cannot format larger than 32GB in FAT32, but if you do it all the
    >> time, I should then be able to.

    > Well I believe I was anyway. I just Googled it and Google even says you can't. Maybe I was
    > mistaken. I'll install an old 60GB hard drive I have in the drawer and see if Windows XP
    > will format it in FAT32. As I have many large drives in FAT32 format and I don't recall
    > having a problem formatting them. I could have used a partition manager I suppose.

    When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a larger
    partition in FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your test.

    >> Anyway, I have the SwissKnife program that will format the Win98 backup image file in
    >> FAT32. I assume that's the format to use when restoring to a Win98 machine.

    > Before you do, did you read stuff like this about the program?
    >
    > http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...89-fat32-127-gb-limit-formatting-utitlty.html

    I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow the FAT32
    partition to work with the P+". What is P+ ?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scott, Sep 22, 2009
  6. Scott

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:s%5um.179015$,
    Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
    > I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it
    > wouldn't accept a larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I
    > put it in NTFS format. I've restored to Win98 in this format several
    > times with no problem.
    > I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a
    > FAT32 partition.

    Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>

    > When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a
    > larger partition in FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on
    > your test.

    I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice
    was NTFS and that is all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a
    partition manager (some are free too). But I checked under Acronis True
    Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and format it
    in FAT32 too.

    > I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow
    > the FAT32 partition to work with the P+". What is P+ ?

    Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite DVR I
    think.

    BillW50, Sep 22, 2009
  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message news:h9asfe$j06$-september.org...
    > In news:s%5um.179015$,
    > Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
    >> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it wouldn't accept a
    >> larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I put it in NTFS format. I've restored to
    >> Win98 in this format several times with no problem.
    >> I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a FAT32 partition.

    > Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>
    >
    >> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a larger partition in
    >> FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your test.

    > I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice was NTFS and that is
    > all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a partition manager (some are free too). But I
    > checked under Acronis True Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and
    > format it in FAT32 too.

    Yes, I now see the Add Drive feature on Acronis. That will make it easy
    to set up FAT32 and NTFS partitions on the new external drive, which is
    exactly what I was trying to do.

    When I get the drive on Thursday, I'll let you know it worked.

    Thanks again, Bill!
    Scott

    Scott, Sep 22, 2009
  8. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message news:h9asfe$j06$-september.org...
    > In news:s%5um.179015$,
    > Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
    >> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it wouldn't accept a
    >> larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I put it in NTFS format. I've restored to
    >> Win98 in this format several times with no problem.
    >> I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a FAT32 partition.

    > Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>
    >
    >> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a larger partition in
    >> FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your test.

    > I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice was NTFS and that is
    > all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a partition manager (some are free too). But I
    > checked under Acronis True Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and
    > format it in FAT32 too.
    >
    >> I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow the FAT32 partition to
    >> work with the P+". What is P+ ?

    > Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite DVR I think.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    > Windows XP SP2

    Bill,

    I see you have a netbook. My wife and I are thinking of getting an ASUS
    netbook (for traveling). What's your opinion of the glossy screen vs. matte
    screen? We have a GW notebook with the glossy screen, and we like it.
    I've seen comments by people who say a glossy screen on a netbook is annoying.
    What do you think?

    Scott
    Scott, Sep 26, 2009
  9. Scott

    SC Tom Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message

    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:s%5um.179015$,
    >> Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
    >>> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it
    >>> wouldn't accept a larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I
    >>> put it in NTFS format. I've restored to Win98 in this format several
    >>> times with no problem.
    >>> I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a
    >>> FAT32 partition.

    >> Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>
    >>
    >>> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a
    >>> larger partition in FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your
    >>> test.

    >> I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice
    >> was NTFS and that is all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a
    >> partition manager (some are free too). But I checked under Acronis True
    >> Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and format it
    >> in FAT32 too.
    >>
    >>> I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow the
    >>> FAT32 partition to work with the P+". What is P+ ?

    >> Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite DVR I
    >> think.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill
    >> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    >> Windows XP SP2
    >>

    > Bill,
    >
    > I see you have a netbook. My wife and I are thinking of getting an ASUS
    > netbook (for traveling). What's your opinion of the glossy screen vs.
    > matte
    > screen? We have a GW notebook with the glossy screen, and we like it.
    > I've seen comments by people who say a glossy screen on a netbook is
    > annoying.
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Scott

    My M6850-FX has the glossy screen, and I find it annoying as hell if there's
    any side or "behind me" lighting in the room. If I set my wallpaper or
    background to a light-colored image, it's not so bad. But if I'm in a public
    place like Starbuck's, I have to find a seat next to the wall and tilt the
    screen down to where the lights don't reflect on it, but that makes it
    harder to read.
    My last HP also had the glossy screen- same problem. But the HP/Compaq
    before that had the matte screen and I loved it. Too bad it didn't have the
    horsepower to upgrade or I'd still be using it.
    I would imagine that a netbook with the glossy screen would be even more
    annoying since it's so much smaller than a full-size, therefore less light
    would give more of an overall reflection, if you know what I mean.

    SC Tom
    SC Tom, Sep 27, 2009
  10. Scott

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:Uitvm.54$,
    Scott typed on Sat, 26 Sep 2009 13:44:58 -0500:
    > Bill,
    >
    > I see you have a netbook. My wife and I are thinking of getting an
    > ASUS netbook (for traveling). What's your opinion of the glossy
    > screen vs. matte screen? We have a GW notebook with the glossy
    > screen, and we like it. I've seen comments by people who say a glossy
    > screen on a netbook is annoying.
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Scott

    Well some people dislike them and some people love them. I generally
    find glossy screens usually has better contrast (blacker blacks). But
    the refection from the glossy I don't like so much. So I have mixed
    feelings about them.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2
    BillW50, Sep 27, 2009
  11. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message news:h9asfe$j06$-september.org...
    > In news:s%5um.179015$,
    > Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
    >> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it wouldn't accept a
    >> larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I put it in NTFS format. I've restored to
    >> Win98 in this format several times with no problem.
    >> I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a FAT32 partition.

    > Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>
    >
    >> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a larger partition in
    >> FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your test.

    > I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice was NTFS and that is
    > all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a partition manager (some are free too). But I
    > checked under Acronis True Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and
    > format it in FAT32 too.
    >
    >> I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow the FAT32 partition to
    >> work with the P+". What is P+ ?

    > Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite DVR I think.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    > Windows XP SP2

    Bill,

    I received the 750GB WD external drive. I used that free program, Swiss
    Knife", to format a 173GB partition in FAT32. Then I used WinXP - Control
    Panel/Computer Management to format the second partition in NTFS.
    Everything is working well.

    It looks like the 750GB drive has only 698GB of usable drive space, but I
    guess that's the way it is. I deleted the software that came pre-installed on
    the WD drive.

    Thanks again!
    Scott
    Scott, Sep 28, 2009
  12. Scott

    Ben Myers Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message news:h9asfe$j06$-september.org...
    >> In news:s%5um.179015$,
    >> Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
    >>> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally, it wouldn't accept a
    >>> larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is why I put it in NTFS format. I've restored to
    >>> Win98 in this format several times with no problem.
    >>> I'm still thinking it makes more sense to put the Win98 images on a FAT32 partition.

    >> Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>
    >>
    >>> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting a larger partition in
    >>> FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted on your test.

    >> I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only choice was NTFS and that is
    >> all for this 60GB drive. So I must have used a partition manager (some are free too). But I
    >> checked under Acronis True Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition it and
    >> format it in FAT32 too.
    >>
    >>> I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow the FAT32 partition to
    >>> work with the P+". What is P+ ?

    >> Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite DVR I think.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill
    >> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    >> Windows XP SP2
    >>

    > Bill,
    >
    > I received the 750GB WD external drive. I used that free program, Swiss
    > Knife", to format a 173GB partition in FAT32. Then I used WinXP - Control
    > Panel/Computer Management to format the second partition in NTFS.
    > Everything is working well.
    >
    > It looks like the 750GB drive has only 698GB of usable drive space, but I
    > guess that's the way it is. I deleted the software that came pre-installed on
    > the WD drive.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    > Scott

    The difference between 750GB and 698GB depends on who does the math,
    Microsoft or the drive manufacturer (and us in the real world).

    Windows computes drive capacity the lazy programmer's way, using 1024
    instead of 1000. 1024 saves CPU cycles, very important when one is
    programming an 8088 from 25 years ago, because to divide by 1024 is
    simply a shift of the value in the computer's register(s) right 10 bits.
    Typically, a shift instruction takes fewer clock cycles than a divide
    instruction. With today's computing power, who cares that a divide is
    slower than a shift? Microsoft should do right and simply use divides
    by 1000 all the way throughout Windows, but if they do, something in
    their fragile Windows mess would break... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Sep 28, 2009
  13. Scott

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:VIWvm.19044$,
    Scott typed on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 23:12:24 -0500:
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:s%5um.179015$,
    >> Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
    >>> I'm thinking that when I formatted the external drive originally,
    >>> it wouldn't accept a larger than 32GB partition in FAT32, which is
    >>> why I put it in NTFS format. I've restored to Win98 in this format
    >>> several times with no problem. I'm still thinking it makes more
    >>> sense to put the Win98 images on a
    >>> FAT32 partition.

    >> Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>
    >>
    >>> When I get the new external drive in two days, I'll try formatting
    >>> a larger partition in FAT32, and I'll let you know. Keep me posted
    >>> on your test.

    >> I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only
    >> choice was NTFS and that is all for this 60GB drive. So I must have
    >> used a partition manager (some are free too). But I checked under
    >> Acronis True Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition
    >> it and format it in FAT32 too.
    >>> I checked this site, and I'm wondering what they mean about: "allow
    >>> the FAT32 partition to work with the P+". What is P+ ?

    >> Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite
    >> DVR I think. --
    >> Bill
    >> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    >> Windows XP SP2
    >>

    > Bill,
    >
    > I received the 750GB WD external drive. I used that free program,
    > Swiss Knife", to format a 173GB partition in FAT32. Then I used
    > WinXP - Control Panel/Computer Management to format the second
    > partition in NTFS. Everything is working well.
    >
    > It looks like the 750GB drive has only 698GB of usable drive space,
    > but I guess that's the way it is. I deleted the software that came
    > pre-installed on the WD drive.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    > Scott

    Thanks for the update Scott. And yes that is normal. <grin>

    --
    Bill
    Windows XP SP2 (5.1.2600)
    BillW50, Sep 29, 2009
  14. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message news:h9tlak$cov$-september.org...
    > In news:VIWvm.19044$,
    > Scott typed on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 23:12:24 -0500:
    >> "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:s%5um.179015$,
    >>> Scott typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:24:54 -0500:
    >>>
    >>> Hi Scott. Yes I can see the point of that. <vbg>

    >>> I just tried it with this netbook under Windows XP SP2. The only
    >>> choice was NTFS and that is all for this 60GB drive. So I must have
    >>> used a partition manager (some are free too). But I checked under
    >>> Acronis True Image and on the top Tools -> Add Drive, will partition
    >>> it and format it in FAT32 too.
    >>>
    >>> Fortecstar Passion+ is my guess. And I guess it is an UK satellite
    >>> DVR I think. --
    >>> Bill
    >>> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    >>> Windows XP SP2
    >>>

    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> I received the 750GB WD external drive. I used that free program, Swiss Knife", to format a
    >> 173GB partition in FAT32. Then I used WinXP - Control Panel/Computer Management to format
    >> the second partition in NTFS. Everything is working well.
    >>
    >> It looks like the 750GB drive has only 698GB of usable drive space, but I guess that's the
    >> way it is. I deleted the software that came pre-installed on the WD drive.
    >>
    >> Thanks again!
    >> Scott

    > Thanks for the update Scott. And yes that is normal. <grin>
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Windows XP SP2 (5.1.2600)
    > Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    Bill,

    I've been backing up Acronis images from Win98 and WinXP, and the
    newly formatted external WD drive works perfectly.

    Thanks again for the excellent advice!

    Scott
    Scott, Oct 1, 2009