Hard drive seeks new computer

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by wooks, Jul 11, 2007.

  1. wooks

    wooks Guest

    My R50 Thinkpad has basically fallen to bits.

    My plan is to obtain a used machine on ebay and slot the hard drive
    from my old machine into it and sell the R50 for scrap.

    My hard drive has an ASM P/N of 13N6702, FRU of P/N 13N6703.

    How can I find out what model thinkpad it is compatible with.

    thanks.

    1. Advertising

  2. Cramden

    Cramden Guest

    Buy a new case and keep it for a spare

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:21:26 -0700, wooks <> wrote:

    >My R50 Thinkpad has basically fallen to bits.
    >
    >My plan is to obtain a used machine on ebay and slot the hard drive
    >from my old machine into it and sell the R50 for scrap.
    >
    >My hard drive has an ASM P/N of 13N6702, FRU of P/N 13N6703.
    >
    >How can I find out what model thinkpad it is compatible with.
    >
    >thanks.

    1. Advertising

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    That's a 30GB IDE drive, compatible with any Thinkpad that uses IDE drives, not
    the newer serial ATA (SATA) ones. Compatible with other brands, too. These
    drives are commodity items.

    If you put the drive in a different model, Windows will no longer run properly.
    If you were running Linux in the R50, you are in luck.

    As others have suggested, you could buy yourself an external USB drive case and
    put the drive in the case... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:21:26 -0700, wooks <> wrote:

    >My R50 Thinkpad has basically fallen to bits.
    >
    >My plan is to obtain a used machine on ebay and slot the hard drive
    >from my old machine into it and sell the R50 for scrap.
    >
    >My hard drive has an ASM P/N of 13N6702, FRU of P/N 13N6703.
    >
    >How can I find out what model thinkpad it is compatible with.
    >
    >thanks.

  4. Sam Sloan

    Sam Sloan Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:05:33 -0400, Ben Myers
    <> wrote:

    >If you put the drive in a different model, Windows will no longer run properly.
    >If you were running Linux in the R50, you are in luck.

    Why not? I keep a spare HD loaded with XP and it has adapted to every IDE laptop
    I've dropped it into.

  5. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the motherboard chipsets are different between the old and new laptops,
    Windows 2000 or XP on the hard drive will halt with a BSOD. This is because the
    Windows install uses some chipset-specific modules during the early part of the
    system boot process. The chipset-specific modules assume simply that their
    chipset is present, and when a test for the chipset fails, a vaguely worded BSOD
    is the error indication.

    If the chipsets are the same, this will not likely happen. If the drive boots
    in the new laptop, then the drivers for the other chipsets (video, audio,
    Ethernet) different between the two need to be installed. Next hurdle is if
    you then attempt to update Windows through the Microsoft update web site is a
    message that tells you the hardware configuration has changed, and sometimes
    Windows itself tells you that the hardware has changed when the system boots.

    If your spare HD has adapted to every IDE laptop, then I can only surmise that
    the motherboard chipsets of all the laptops you've tried are the same. This is
    probably a reasonable assumption, because there is far more consistency among
    laptop chipsets (mostly Intel) than desktops (Intel, VIA, AMD, others).

    When moving a hard drive from my older laptop to the newer one I now use, I had
    to take extra precautions to make it all work... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:07:50 -0400, Sam Sloan <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:05:33 -0400, Ben Myers
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>If you put the drive in a different model, Windows will no longer run properly.
    >>If you were running Linux in the R50, you are in luck.

    >Why not? I keep a spare HD loaded with XP and it has adapted to every IDE laptop
    >I've dropped it into.

  6. wooks

    wooks Guest

    To break up or not to break up (was Hard drive seeks new computer)

    >My R50 Thinkpad has basically fallen to bits.

    The machine is destined for ebay.

    It has good and working hard disk, power supply, battery, CD-RW. Both
    hingse are broke and it's held together by ribbon.

    Am I likely to achieve a better price selling off the bits
    individually or should I keep it together?