    but I'm trying to get a head start before Sunday. Any help will be most
    grateful.
    John

    John Baiamonte, Feb 6, 2004

  2. John Baiamonte

    Ben Myers Guest

    You need to reformat the hard drive, not necessarily scrub it clean to meet US
    Government high(?) security standards. If the computer will boot from the
    Windows 98 CD, boot it to the A: prompt and run the DOS mode FORMAT command,
    e.g. FORMAT C: . Otherwise, go to www.bootdisk.com , download the image for the
    right version of Windows 98 (first or second edition) to match the Windows CD,
    prepare a bootable Win 98 floppy, boot from it and (you guessed it!) run the DOS
    mode FORMAT command, e.g. FORMAT C:

    If your friend has the HP restore CD for Windows 98, best to create the floppy
    as above, format the drive, then restore... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 6, 2004