Has anyone had expetience with the XPS 9100? Is it worth buying for average (non gaming) use?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Cooper, Feb 16, 2011.

  1. Cooper

    Cooper Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. BluntChisel

    BluntChisel Guest

    "Cooper" <> wrote in message

    I don't have experience of this model, but it looks like a fairly high
    performance model, and I suspect has higher than average power consumption.

    When choosing a PC, like most people, I ask "Does it have enough processing
    power to still be useful in 5 years time?". But recently, because
    electricity prices in the UK are rising steeply, I've also been asking "Is
    the power consumption low enough that it will be worthwhile switching it on
    in 5 years time?". So these days I'm less likely to buy a PC that has lots
    more processing power than I currently need. On the other hand, if the PC
    won't be left on for long periods, or you live somewhere where electricity
    prices are likely to remain affordable, that's not such an issue.

    1. Advertising

  3. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    Re: Has anyone had expetience with the XPS 9100? Is it worth buyingfor average (non gaming) use?

    > On Feb 16, 12:42 pm, "BluntChisel" <> wrote:
    > But recently, because
    > electricity prices in the UK are rising steeply, I've also been asking "Is
    > the power consumption low enough that it will be worthwhile switching it on
    > in 5 years time?". So these days I'm less likely to buy a PC that has lots
    > more processing power than I currently need. On the other hand, if the PC
    > won't be left on for long periods, or you live somewhere where electricity
    > prices are likely to remain affordable, that's not such an issue.

    Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
    hour?

  4. BluntChisel

    BluntChisel Guest

    "powrwrap" <> wrote in message
    >> On Feb 16, 12:42 pm, "BluntChisel" <> wrote:
    >> But recently, because
    >> electricity prices in the UK are rising steeply, I've also been asking

    "Is
    >> the power consumption low enough that it will be worthwhile switching it

    on
    >> in 5 years time?". So these days I'm less likely to buy a PC that has

    lots
    >> more processing power than I currently need. On the other hand, if the PC
    >> won't be left on for long periods, or you live somewhere where

    electricity
    >> prices are likely to remain affordable, that's not such an issue.

    >Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
    >hour?

    I pay between 13 and 18 pence per kWh, including taxes. I expect the price
    to continue rising faster than average wage increases. At that price, a
    5-year-old Poweredge 830 (3GHz Pentium D) server costs around 200 pounds per
    year in electricity, which is about 50% of the cost of a brand-new, more
    efficient and usefully faster small server. For most of the year, the heat
    generated by the server is unwanted.

  5. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    BluntChisel wrote:
    > "powrwrap" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Feb 16, 12:42 pm, "BluntChisel" <> wrote:
    >>> But recently, because
    >>> electricity prices in the UK are rising steeply, I've also been asking

    > "Is
    >>> the power consumption low enough that it will be worthwhile switching it

    > on
    >>> in 5 years time?". So these days I'm less likely to buy a PC that has

    > lots
    >>> more processing power than I currently need. On the other hand, if the PC
    >>> won't be left on for long periods, or you live somewhere where

    > electricity
    >>> prices are likely to remain affordable, that's not such an issue.

    >> Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
    >> hour?

    > I pay between 13 and 18 pence per kWh, including taxes. I expect the price
    > to continue rising faster than average wage increases. At that price, a
    > 5-year-old Poweredge 830 (3GHz Pentium D) server costs around 200 pounds per
    > year in electricity, which is about 50% of the cost of a brand-new, more
    > efficient and usefully faster small server. For most of the year, the heat
    > generated by the server is unwanted.

    Is this like a home server that you use basically to allow other
    computers in the home to access a hard drive or something?

    I don't know what you need, but if you are looking for a computer that
    uses very little power... well this one only uses 10 watts of power.
    Which is about 88 kwh for a whole year.

    My 9 Gateway laptops (some MX6124 and some M465) uses about 22 watts of
    power. And laptops and netbooks are far more efficient for power than
    desktops are generally.

    So around this range is about as low power as you can get. But I don't
    know what you need to use them for?

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

  6. "BluntChisel" replied:
    > "powrwrap" asked:
    >>
    >>Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
    >>hour?

    > I pay between 13 and 18 pence per kWh, including taxes. I expect
    > the price to continue rising faster than average wage increases. At
    > that price, a 5-year-old Poweredge 830 (3GHz Pentium D) server
    > costs around 200 pounds per year in electricity, which is about 50%
    > of the cost of a brand-new, more efficient and usefully faster small
    > server. For most of the year, the heat generated by the server is
    > unwanted.

    At 1.61 USdollars/Britpound, that's between 21cents and 29cents
    per KWh, roughly twice the price of electrical power in Los Angeles.

    *TimDaniels*

  7. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "BluntChisel" replied:
    >> "powrwrap" asked:
    >>> Curious. What is the price of electricity in the UK, per kilowatt-
    >>> hour?

    >> I pay between 13 and 18 pence per kWh, including taxes. I expect
    >> the price to continue rising faster than average wage increases. At
    >> that price, a 5-year-old Poweredge 830 (3GHz Pentium D) server
    >> costs around 200 pounds per year in electricity, which is about 50%
    >> of the cost of a brand-new, more efficient and usefully faster small
    >> server. For most of the year, the heat generated by the server is
    >> unwanted.

    > At 1.61 USdollars/Britpound, that's between 21cents and 29cents
    > per KWh, roughly twice the price of electrical power in Los Angeles.

    When I lived in Europe (mostly in Holland for schooling), it was a bit
    shocking that almost everything cost twice as much as being in America
    (gasoline, food, housing, etc). This might sound very bad. But in
    Europe, they also make roughly twice as much as their American
    counterparts. So things costing roughly twice as much doesn't sound so
    bad, now does it?