    announcing the end of Usenet service.
    Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jun 20, 2009

  2. Phil Weldon

    ShadowTek Guest

    Phil Weldon wrote:

    > I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
    > Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
    > discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
    > announcing the end of Usenet service.

    Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
    though I never used it.

    > Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

    I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
    it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.

    ShadowTek, Jun 20, 2009

  3. Phil Weldon

    Guest Guest

    "ShadowTek" <> wrote in message news:h1irbp$26i$-september.org...
    > Phil Weldon wrote:
    >
    > > I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
    > > Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
    > > discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
    > > announcing the end of Usenet service.

    > Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
    > though I never used it.
    >
    > > Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

    > I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
    > it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.

    There's also albasani.net and solani.org, both of which are text-only
    but free with registration (and no added advertising to your posts).

    Guest, Jun 20, 2009
  4. Phil Weldon

    Paul Guest

    d wrote:
    > "ShadowTek" <> wrote in message news:h1irbp$26i$-september.org...
    >> Phil Weldon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
    >>> Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
    >>> discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
    >>> announcing the end of Usenet service.

    >> Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
    >> though I never used it.
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

    >> I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
    >> it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.

    > There's also albasani.net and solani.org, both of which are text-only
    > but free with registration (and no added advertising to your posts).

    And nntp.aioe.org is available without registration. So can be
    used as a fallback server, if the others fail. There is a limit
    of 25 text posts per day, and no binaries.

    http://www.aioe.org

    To support the fact there is no authentication, that server
    has filters. For example, attempts to send the same message
    text twice, will be rejected (as that looks like a spam
    bombing run). Attempts to post too quickly, might also
    result in rejection. But in "normal" usage patterns (i.e.
    not "chat room" style), you'll never run into a problem.

    Some day, we'll be reduced to using BBSes again...

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 20, 2009
  5. On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:02:18 -0400, Phil Weldon wrote:

    > I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15
    > years. Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that
    > ATT has discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly
    > from ATT, announcing the end of Usenet service. Any recommendations for
    > a replacement Usenet service service?
    >
    > Phil Weldon

    There were new articles about them dropping Usenet. When Cocast dropped
    Usenet I switched back to

    https://news.individual.net/

    It costs 10 Euros a year. They have much better SPAM filtering then
    Comcast had so the 10 Euros is worth every cent.

    General Schvantzkoph, Jun 20, 2009
  6. Phil Weldon

    Guest Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:h1j8dd$7mv$-september.org...
    > And nntp.aioe.org is available without registration. So can be
    > used as a fallback server, if the others fail. There is a limit
    > of 25 text posts per day, and no binaries.

    Just FYI, aioe.org is a widely banned and filtered domain. Huge
    problem with spammers, lamers and flamers, almost as bad as
    googlegroups.

    Guest, Jun 21, 2009
  7. On 20 Jun 2009 18:50:24 GMT, General Schvantzkoph <> wrote:
    : There were new articles about them dropping Usenet. When Cocast dropped
    : Usenet I switched back to
    :
    : https://news.individual.net/
    :
    : It costs 10 Euros a year. They have much better SPAM filtering then
    : Comcast had so the 10 Euros is worth every cent.

    This. Victim of Verizon. individual.net is a winner for me too.

    Howard Goldstein, Jun 22, 2009