Have tried 100 different ways...can't boot from CD-ROM nor DVD

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by David Ruggiero, Sep 6, 2006.

  1. I have a Soyo Dragon KT333 Platinum Ultra, which I cannot for the life
    of me get to boot from the CDROM or DVD drives. The drives spin up on
    boot, the bios (Award 6.00PG) autodetects the drives are there, XP is
    happy to see, assign a drive letter to, and read them - but the boot
    sequence just skips past them as if they're not there at all. The CD
    doesn't spin again after the initial power-on reset.

    I'm a pretty damn experienced PC tech - this isn't anything obvious.
    Just in case, though, here are all the things I've tried in the past 24
    hours - none of which have worked:

    - flashed the mobo to the latest (2aa9) bios, even though it was
    already there;
    - verified that it boots fine from both the floppy and hard drive,
    every time;
    - changed the boot device order about 100 times (CDROM first, CD in the
    middle, CD last, CD in all three available boot slots, "boot other
    devices" on and off, etc)
    - tried three different optical drives (CD, CD-RW, and DVD-RW)
    - tried all the optical drives on both primary and secondary IDE
    connectors, as both master and slave on each one (even tried slaving
    off the hard drive), in various combinations of one or two drives on
    the same cable
    - tried three different ATA cables (both 80 and 40-pin varieties)
    - slowed the system way, way down (to 600mhz from 1.8ghz) and used the
    fail-safe memory timings
    - tried to boot innumerable times from the secondary boot menu (ie,
    hitting ESC after POST but before the actual boot to get the menu of
    devices)
    - pulled all other components out of the machine except the boot CD
    drive
    - tried three different bootable CD/DVDs that are known good

    Soyo doesn't make motherboards anymore and their tech support wasn't
    able to give me any other ideas. Anyone out there, after reading the
    above list, have anything to offer? I'm about to go out and buy the
    dead chicken and wave it over the case - otherwise I'm out of ideas.

    thanks....d

    PS: Failing this, is there a way to make a "bootstrap-boot" floppy that
    I can then get the system to boot the CD from?

    1. Advertising

  2. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:55:40 -0700, David Ruggiero wrote:

    > I have a Soyo Dragon KT333 Platinum Ultra, which I cannot for the life

    I'd try a search for cd booting on that MB. Might come up with something.

    > PS: Failing this, is there a way to make a "bootstrap-boot" floppy that
    > I can then get the system to boot the CD from?

    It's possible using lilo as a boot manager on the floppy. How well do you
    know linux?:)
    man lilo
    man lilo.conf

    I've had problems with some boards booting from CD's, but usually get them
    to work by setting all boot devices to the cd, and disabling other
    devices. You may also want to put a boot delay in the bios if it supports
    that, giving the cd/dvd time to spinup and read the media and initialize.
    good luck. Sounds like you need it. Please let us know what happens.

  3. Wes:

    Thanks. I took it in today to a guy who's forgotten more about
    troubleshooting PCs than I'll ever know....and after playing with it
    for an hour, and replacing every component except the mobo and CPU, he
    was stumped as well. ("Never seen anything like that..."). So more
    confirmation it's nothing obvious, and the likelihood it's a weird Soyo
    BIOS bug - or bizzare hardware problem affecting this board at boot
    time but not at any other - is even higher.

    Tonight I'm going to stick an old 600mhz Duron in it instead of the
    fast Barton and see if that changes anything... I thought of the boot
    delay idea, but it's not an option on this board. (If that was all that
    was needed, though, I would have expected the bios not to even
    recognize the CDs were there...) I *did* try much the same thing,
    thouhg, by turning off the CPU L2 and L3 caches, which made the system
    take 20x as long to boot into windows - but didn't change anything as
    far as the boot.

    Thanks for the lilo idea - I'm well acquainted with Linux - might try
    that.

    I'll post if anything of interest comes up.

    thanks,
    David

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:55:40 -0700, David Ruggiero wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Soyo Dragon KT333 Platinum Ultra, which I cannot for the life

    > I'd try a search for cd booting on that MB. Might come up with something.
    >
    > > PS: Failing this, is there a way to make a "bootstrap-boot" floppy that
    > > I can then get the system to boot the CD from?

    > It's possible using lilo as a boot manager on the floppy. How well do you
    > know linux?:)
    > man lilo
    > man lilo.conf
    >
    > I've had problems with some boards booting from CD's, but usually get them
    > to work by setting all boot devices to the cd, and disabling other
    > devices. You may also want to put a boot delay in the bios if it supports
    > that, giving the cd/dvd time to spinup and read the media and initialize.
    > good luck. Sounds like you need it. Please let us know what happens.
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

  4. Rick Hallman

    Rick Hallman Guest

    Tap the Escape Key after the POST beep. It will give you a boot menu. This
    is documented in the motherboard manual on Page 82. You can download it at
    http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=1769

    "David Ruggiero" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Soyo Dragon KT333 Platinum Ultra, which I cannot for the life
    > of me get to boot from the CDROM or DVD drives. The drives spin up on
    > boot, the bios (Award 6.00PG) autodetects the drives are there, XP is
    > happy to see, assign a drive letter to, and read them - but the boot
    > sequence just skips past them as if they're not there at all. The CD
    > doesn't spin again after the initial power-on reset.
    >
    > I'm a pretty damn experienced PC tech - this isn't anything obvious.
    > Just in case, though, here are all the things I've tried in the past 24
    > hours - none of which have worked:
    >
    > - flashed the mobo to the latest (2aa9) bios, even though it was
    > already there;
    > - verified that it boots fine from both the floppy and hard drive,
    > every time;
    > - changed the boot device order about 100 times (CDROM first, CD in the
    > middle, CD last, CD in all three available boot slots, "boot other
    > devices" on and off, etc)
    > - tried three different optical drives (CD, CD-RW, and DVD-RW)
    > - tried all the optical drives on both primary and secondary IDE
    > connectors, as both master and slave on each one (even tried slaving
    > off the hard drive), in various combinations of one or two drives on
    > the same cable
    > - tried three different ATA cables (both 80 and 40-pin varieties)
    > - slowed the system way, way down (to 600mhz from 1.8ghz) and used the
    > fail-safe memory timings
    > - tried to boot innumerable times from the secondary boot menu (ie,
    > hitting ESC after POST but before the actual boot to get the menu of
    > devices)
    > - pulled all other components out of the machine except the boot CD
    > drive
    > - tried three different bootable CD/DVDs that are known good
    >
    > Soyo doesn't make motherboards anymore and their tech support wasn't
    > able to give me any other ideas. Anyone out there, after reading the
    > above list, have anything to offer? I'm about to go out and buy the
    > dead chicken and wave it over the case - otherwise I'm out of ideas.
    >
    > thanks....d
    >
    > PS: Failing this, is there a way to make a "bootstrap-boot" floppy that
    > I can then get the system to boot the CD from?

  5. Rick:

    I did that - perhaps you missed this section of my original posting:

    " tried to boot innumerable times from the secondary boot menu (ie,
    hitting ESC after POST but before the actual boot to get the menu of
    devices)"

    Interestingly, using that "boot menu" I can't even get the floppy to
    boot - even though the floppy boots just fine during the normal boot
    sequence. I suspect Soyo has problems with their boot logic in
    general...a moot point since they're out of the motherboard biz.

  6. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Well I find all of that as odd since I use a Soyo KT-333 DUP and the Boot
    Menu works as it shows in the Owners Manual. The BIOS ID is K7VXBP-2AA9.
    This all occurs before the OS loads so it must involve your BIOS or it's
    setup. My normal boot is a HD attached to the IDE3 channel but I do not use
    a HPT raid array. I have 2 DVD drives (Master/Single drives on IDE 1&2) and
    which ever one contains a bootable disc will boot the system. Sorry I can't
    help you.

    "Jonathan Rogers" <> wrote in message
    > Rick:
    >
    > I did that - perhaps you missed this section of my original posting:
    >
    > " tried to boot innumerable times from the secondary boot menu (ie,
    > hitting ESC after POST but before the actual boot to get the menu of
    > devices)"
    >
    > Interestingly, using that "boot menu" I can't even get the floppy to
    > boot - even though the floppy boots just fine during the normal boot
    > sequence. I suspect Soyo has problems with their boot logic in
    > general...a moot point since they're out of the motherboard biz.

  7. jimmyp

    jimmyp

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    indiana
    not booting from cd

    I came across this problem a few times on my sy-7vem, i finally just puit in a 98 boot disk and formated the harddrive, then stuck in the xp. if you dont want that then go to microsoft and download the xp bootdisk you'll need six floopys. then you can use the cd, as i have done this before also.

  8. schmooxx1x

    schmooxx1x Guest

    Frustrating problem. The only other suggestion I can think of is to
    flash to an older bios for that board. See if cd booting works. If
    not, flash back to the most current bios. You may be correct in
    thinking that the bios programming is buggy.

    I know first hand that a "newer" bios from Soyo doesn't necessarily
    mean better. I have a Soyo board, and upgraded the processor. In
    order to correctly recognize the processor (P4 3.2ghz prescott), I had
    to flash to the latest bios. After flashing to the newer bios, several
    problems appeared. First, my pc would no longer enter standby -
    whenever it tried to, I would just get a acpi error message. Second,
    the bios would not recognize the 2 dvd drives. This is intermittent -
    sometimes they are recognized, other times they aren't.

    When I flashed back to the older bios, the two problems I mentioned no
    longer occur. So the latest bios is definitely buggy. Unfortunately,
    the older bios only recognizes the 3.2ghz processor as a 2.8ghz.

    Good luck.

  9. "David Ruggiero" <> wrote in

    > I have a Soyo Dragon KT333 Platinum Ultra, which I cannot for the life
    > of me get to boot from the CDROM or DVD drives.
    > thanks....d
    >
    > PS: Failing this, is there a way to make a "bootstrap-boot" floppy that
    > I can then get the system to boot the CD from?

    I'm using the Soyo Dragon P4i865PE Dragon thing that was free after rebate
    from NewEgg.

    I've had troubles booting from CD's and DVD's in the past. I think there
    are two different kinds of boot images in the 16-bit world: emulation and
    non-emulation. I think that "emulation" refers to an image that resembles
    (or emulates) a boot floppy image. This P4I865PE can't boot to some discs
    that are non-emulation 16-bit types. Maybe the same is true for you?

    I now use Bart's PE Builder to make bootable discs:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    It takes some time to learn how to configure it. You use a Windows XP
    installer disc to create a boot setup so that optical media can boot your
    computer to a 32-bit Windows XP environment. I think it mimics the
    Microsoft Pre-Installation Environment software that is normally released
    only to OEM's and such.

    Nice thing about Bart's PE Builder is that powerful 32-bit environment.
    I've created 1 CD that has hard drive imaging software, web browsers, Nero,
    and on and on. Bart's PE builder includes an "explorer" so you can view
    and copy data from the drive. It also includes other utilities. Many
    software companies provide plugins so that they're software works in Bart's
    PE. On top of that, there's many different 3rd party contributors who help
    making plugins.

    (For me, Nero only burns at 1X when booted to that environment. Maybe I'm
    doing something wrong and maybe it should burn faster. I don't know. I
    don't burn many discs that way. It's nice to know, however, that I could
    gather data from a non-bootable hard drive and burn the recovered data to a
    DVD.)

    Bootable CD's and DVD's made with Bart's PE builder work even on this goofy
    Soyo P4I865PE-Dragon II Plus motherboard. If your computer can boot to
    optical media, I'm guessing it should boot to a disc constructed using Bart
    PE.

    //rus\\

  10. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "David Ruggiero" <> wrote in

    > I have a Soyo Dragon KT333 Platinum Ultra, which I cannot for the life
    > of me get to boot from the CDROM or DVD drives.
    > thanks....d
    >
    > PS: Failing this, is there a way to make a "bootstrap-boot" floppy that
    > I can then get the system to boot the CD from?

    http://bootcd.narod.ru/bcdl150z.zip

    This is a bootable floppy that loads appropriate drivers and then
    transfers boot to a CD/DVD.

  11. AFAIK you will need these conditions at least:
    1. BIOS set so that the computer will boot from the CD/DVD drive first!
    2. Bootable CD/DVD (I have seen some WIN98SE CDs that I could not boot from)
    3. CD/DVD drive on IDE 1 (may not be necessary but I have had to do this
    with some computers)

    Try it with the Hard Drive disconnected.

    Is this the first time you are trying to boot this computer? Are the
    settings correct for Master and Slave, or Cable Select?

  12. (Mike S.) wrote in news:ekn6l9$2mh$:

    > "David Ruggiero" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a Soyo Dragon KT333 Platinum Ultra, which I cannot for the life
    >> of me get to boot from the CDROM or DVD drives.
    >> thanks....d
    >>
    >> PS: Failing this, is there a way to make a "bootstrap-boot" floppy that
    >> I can then get the system to boot the CD from?
    >>

    > http://bootcd.narod.ru/bcdl150z.zip
    >
    > This is a bootable floppy that loads appropriate drivers and then
    > transfers boot to a CD/DVD.

    Wow. Thank you very much. It even has a BartPE plugin I've never seen
    before.

    //rus\\