    harddisk was broken so the harddisk recovery tool was gone too. I now only
    have a retail disc of XP tablet PC 2005 retail SP2 disc. But it didn't accept
    my product key. What should I do?

    patz, Oct 17, 2008

  2. On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:17:04 -0700, patz
    <> wrote:

    >I tried to do the fresh install on my Toshiba M400, but it kept saying my
    >product key was invalid. How could that be? I was using the product ket on
    >the sticker at the buttom of my notebook.
    >
    >I don't have the recovery disc because Toshiba never send me one. My
    >harddisk was broken so the harddisk recovery tool was gone too. I now only
    >have a retail disc of XP tablet PC 2005 retail SP2 disc. But it didn't accept
    >my product key. What should I do?

    Toshiba didn't send out recovery disks with the M400, but there was an
    option for making them from the HD. I made about 3 sets to make sure
    I had a working copy just in case.

    There are no retail versions of XP Tablet, it is only available via
    OEM. The serial number on the bottom of your computer is for an OEM
    version of XP Tablet. The only other place I know of you can get
    Tablet XP is via TechNet or MSDN and an OEM key will not work with
    those versions.

    You should contact Toshiba and see if you can get or purchase a
    recovery disk.

    --
    Cheers,
    Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

    Steve Jain [MVP], Oct 17, 2008

  3. patz wrote:

    > I tried to do the fresh install on my Toshiba M400, but it kept
    > saying my product key was invalid. How could that be? I was using
    > the product ket on the sticker at the buttom of my notebook.
    >
    > I don't have the recovery disc because Toshiba never send me one. My
    > harddisk was broken so the harddisk recovery tool was gone too. I
    > now only have a retail disc of XP tablet PC 2005 retail SP2 disc.
    > But it didn't accept my product key.

    It may have to do with the key used by Toshiba.
    We have had quite some reports in the HP notebook/TabletPC forum, in the
    German newsgroups and even in here where it was proved that using a
    retail XP *SP2* would work.
    The keys on the stickers of TabletPCs definitely will not work with OEM
    CDs an Volume Licence CDs. But it has has been reported that the key
    (especially from HP) would work on retail CDs.

    I did never try that out myself, because I still have the original set
    of CDs which came from HP.

    > What should I do?

    Contact Toshiba and ask them for replacement CDs.

    An alternative would be to buy the OEM version from Newegg.
    We had some discussions in here on whether what Newegg does is legally
    OK. But you shouldn't really care.
    Look here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16837102094

    HTH