Having problems adding network printers

Discussion in 'Dell' started by MZB, Aug 8, 2011.

  1. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Ok, downstairs I have a desktop computer with XP Home. There is an old
    (but works GREAT) Epson Color Stylus printer connected to the parallel
    port. I also have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to the USB port.

    Upstairs I have 2 XP Home laptops. They connect fine to my network and
    access share files and the shared printers. All is fine.

    I used to have a W7 laptop and I remember going through some stuff but
    eventually it worked just fine, acessing my shared files and printers.

    Unfortunately, that laptop bit the dust. I bought a Toshiba Satellite
    laptop and so far all works perfectly EXCEPT I cannot get it to work
    with the printers. It accesses my network and shared files fine. I know
    it can be done because I did it before.

    Here’s what I’ve tried. I went to networking and chose Add A Printer. I
    specified network printer. It found both printers. But when I try to add
    the selected printer, it says that it can’t find the driver. Frankly,
    I looked on my desktop computer and I can’t find it either. I can also
    look on my two XP laptops but I am not sure what to look for. I went to
    the manufacturers sites and was unable to locate a driver, but it should
    be on my computers, I would think.

    I wish I could remember what I did about 3 years ago to get my W7 to
    work with both computers.

    Any ideas?

    This is not OT since my other computers are Dells (<g>)

    Mel
    MZB, Aug 8, 2011

  2. MZB

    crkeehn Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, downstairs I have a desktop computer with XP Home. There is an old
    > (but works GREAT) Epson Color Stylus printer connected to the parallel
    > port. I also have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to the USB port.
    >
    > Upstairs I have 2 XP Home laptops. They connect fine to my network and
    > access share files and the shared printers. All is fine.
    >
    > I used to have a W7 laptop and I remember going through some stuff but
    > eventually it worked just fine, acessing my shared files and printers.
    >
    > Unfortunately, that laptop bit the dust. I bought a Toshiba Satellite
    > laptop and so far all works perfectly EXCEPT I cannot get it to work with
    > the printers. It accesses my network and shared files fine. I know it can
    > be done because I did it before.
    >
    > Here’s what I’ve tried. I went to networking and chose Add A Printer. I
    > specified network printer. It found both printers. But when I try to add
    > the selected printer, it says that it can’t find the driver. Frankly, I
    > looked on my desktop computer and I can’t find it either. I can also look
    > on my two XP laptops but I am not sure what to look for. I went to the
    > manufacturers sites and was unable to locate a driver, but it should be on
    > my computers, I would think.
    >
    > I wish I could remember what I did about 3 years ago to get my W7 to work
    > with both computers.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > This is not OT since my other computers are Dells (<g>)
    >
    > Mel

    Good luck on solving the problem. I had run into a similar problem a few
    years back. My problem was with an Epson Stylus printer, networked through
    my office computer. I was running a mix of XP and Vista. All of them but
    one would network with the printer. I contacted Epson for assistance and
    was informed that as the particular printer was not designed as a network
    computer, they would not support that function and I was on my own.

    Ultimately the Epson died and I replaced it with a network printer and now
    every PC, (now a mix of XP, vista and W7) can see and print to the printer.

    Carl
    crkeehn, Aug 9, 2011

  3. MZB

    RnR Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 16:11:33 -0400, MZB <> wrote:

    >Ok, downstairs I have a desktop computer with XP Home. There is an old
    >(but works GREAT) Epson Color Stylus printer connected to the parallel
    >port. I also have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to the USB port.
    >
    >Upstairs I have 2 XP Home laptops. They connect fine to my network and
    >access share files and the shared printers. All is fine.
    >
    >I used to have a W7 laptop and I remember going through some stuff but
    >eventually it worked just fine, acessing my shared files and printers.
    >
    >Unfortunately, that laptop bit the dust. I bought a Toshiba Satellite
    >laptop and so far all works perfectly EXCEPT I cannot get it to work
    >with the printers. It accesses my network and shared files fine. I know
    >it can be done because I did it before.
    >
    >Here’s what I’ve tried. I went to networking and chose Add A Printer. I
    >specified network printer. It found both printers. But when I try to add
    > the selected printer, it says that it can’t find the driver. Frankly,
    >I looked on my desktop computer and I can’t find it either. I can also
    >look on my two XP laptops but I am not sure what to look for. I went to
    >the manufacturers sites and was unable to locate a driver, but it should
    >be on my computers, I would think.
    >
    >I wish I could remember what I did about 3 years ago to get my W7 to
    >work with both computers.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >This is not OT since my other computers are Dells (<g>)
    >
    >Mel

    The first thing I'd do is Google for the driver. Often, if the driver
    exists, it can be found elsewhere for free as well as for money. I
    speak from experience on this.
    RnR, Aug 9, 2011
  4. MZB

    Jim Higgins Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 16:11:33 -0400, MZB <> wrote:

    >Ok, downstairs I have a desktop computer with XP Home. There is an old
    >(but works GREAT) Epson Color Stylus printer connected to the parallel
    >port. I also have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to the USB port.
    >
    >Upstairs I have 2 XP Home laptops. They connect fine to my network and
    >access share files and the shared printers. All is fine.
    >
    >I used to have a W7 laptop and I remember going through some stuff but
    >eventually it worked just fine, acessing my shared files and printers.
    >
    >Unfortunately, that laptop bit the dust. I bought a Toshiba Satellite
    >laptop and so far all works perfectly EXCEPT I cannot get it to work
    >with the printers. It accesses my network and shared files fine. I know
    >it can be done because I did it before.
    >
    >Here’s what I’ve tried. I went to networking and chose Add A Printer. I
    >specified network printer. It found both printers. But when I try to add
    > the selected printer, it says that it can’t find the driver. Frankly,
    >I looked on my desktop computer and I can’t find it either. I can also
    >look on my two XP laptops but I am not sure what to look for. I went to
    >the manufacturers sites and was unable to locate a driver, but it should
    >be on my computers, I would think.
    >
    >I wish I could remember what I did about 3 years ago to get my W7 to
    >work with both computers.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    How about the CD that came with the printer as a source for the
    driver?
    Jim Higgins, Aug 9, 2011
  5. MZB

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Aug 8, 4:11 pm, MZB <> wrote:
    > Ok, downstairs I have a desktop computer with XP Home.  There is an old
    > (but works GREAT) Epson Color Stylus printer connected to the parallel
    > port. I also have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to the  USB port.
    >
    > Upstairs I have 2 XP Home laptops. They connect fine to my network and
    > access share files and the shared printers. All is fine.
    >
    > I used to have a W7 laptop and I remember going through some stuff but
    > eventually it worked just fine, acessing my shared files and printers.
    >
    > Unfortunately, that laptop bit the dust. I bought a Toshiba Satellite
    > laptop and so far all works perfectly EXCEPT I cannot get it to work
    > with the printers. It accesses my network and shared files fine. I know
    > it can be done because I did it before.
    >
    > Here’s what I’ve tried. I went to networking and chose Add A Printer.I
    > specified network printer. It found both printers. But when I try to add
    >   the selected printer, it says that it can’t find the driver.  Frankly,
    > I looked on my desktop computer and I can’t find it either. I can also
    > look on my two XP laptops but I am not sure what to look for. I went to
    > the manufacturers sites and was unable to locate a driver, but it should
    > be on my computers, I would think.
    >
    > I wish I could remember what I did about 3 years ago to get my W7 to
    > work with both computers.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > This is not OT since my other computers are Dells (<g>)
    >
    > Mel

    If you can't get any Windows 7 drivers for the Epson or Canon printers
    from the mfrs' web sites, you have become yet another victim of the
    collusion in the computer industry between Microsoft and the name
    brand hardware manufacturers to make the printers obsolete for lack of
    new drivers. It is not for nothing that Microsoft regularly changes
    its so-called "hardware driver model." This forces companies to write
    drivers differently that for the previous version of Windows, and mnay
    companies make the rational choice not to do so because there is no
    revenue in it for them, only the continued good will of their
    customers.

    Personally, I have no problem with moving on to newer hardware for a
    newer operating system, but perfectly good printers, scanners and some
    specialty devices fall victim to the planned obsolescence.

    Possible workarounds. These may all require some trail and error,
    i.e. spending a lot of time fussing around.

    1. Install the Vista drivers for the printers on the Windows 7
    computer. Though not officially supported by anyone, these generally
    do work. Microsoft changed the hardware driver model from XP to
    Vista. From Vista to Win 7, either the driver model did not change at
    all, or maybe it changed just a little bit. I do not know for sure,
    because I have gotten away from developing software. But I recently
    succeeded in getting a video card to work properly with Win 7 by
    installing its Vista drivers.
    2. Printer manufacturers, like every other hardware manufacturer,
    evolve their products, rather than just starting from scratch every
    time. So download and install the drivers for the oldest printer in
    the family of models having Vista or Windows 7 support.
    3. If either of these printers has built-in Postscript, a generic
    PostScript driver (actually a Postscript PPD) would allow a printer to
    work, albeit with reduced capabilities. Doubtful that the Pixma does
    PostScript. Epson has produced some PostScript printers. PostScript
    offers THE BEST protection against printer obsolescence... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Aug 10, 2011