HD prices update

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ron Hardin, Dec 1, 2011.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Newegg went from $129 limit 1 to $149 limit 3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374
    for 500gb 2.5" drive

    that was $49 limit 5 with coupon code before the Thai floods were noticed
    a few weeks ago.

    I'm not sure what the price and limit increase means, perhaps
    that they've found a somewhat reliable wholesale source at a higher price.

    How long until China cranks up, is the question.

  2. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 08:29:08 -0500, Ron Hardin
    <> wrote:

    >Newegg went from $129 limit 1 to $149 limit 3
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374
    >for 500gb 2.5" drive
    >
    >that was $49 limit 5 with coupon code before the Thai floods were noticed
    >a few weeks ago.
    >
    >I'm not sure what the price and limit increase means, perhaps
    >that they've found a somewhat reliable wholesale source at a higher price.
    >
    >How long until China cranks up, is the question.

    Time to write tighter code like in the old days instead of bloated
    programming today ????? I know... wishful thinking.

    1. Advertising

  3. Michael Arm

    Michael Arm Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 17:17:41 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 08:29:08 -0500, Ron Hardin
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Newegg went from $129 limit 1 to $149 limit 3
    >>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374
    >>for 500gb 2.5" drive
    >>
    >>that was $49 limit 5 with coupon code before the Thai floods were noticed
    >>a few weeks ago.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure what the price and limit increase means, perhaps
    >>that they've found a somewhat reliable wholesale source at a higher price.
    >>
    >>How long until China cranks up, is the question.

    >Time to write tighter code like in the old days instead of bloated
    >programming today ????? I know... wishful thinking.

    WD & Thailand
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-5...s-hard-disk-production/?tag=mncol;mlt_related
    MIke

  4. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Newegg drops the price to $140 limit 10
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374

    Apparently letting prices respond to supply and demand
    brings out supply very fast; yet through all the shortage
    you could buy all the hard drives you wanted, you just wanted
    fewer.

    Compare price control and lines.

    Interesting podcast on price gouging

    http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2007/01/munger_on_price_1.html

    There can't be a shortage of anything that has a market set price.

  5. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:

    > Newegg drops the price to $140 limit 10
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374
    > Down to $100 limit 10.

    The normal list was $65, with sales down to $50, before the floods.

    I'd guess early hoarders are beginning to see the price break and
    are unloading them, which is how the market discovers how badly
    how many people want them and who to sell them to.

  6. On 12/8/2011 7:54 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
    > Ron Hardin wrote:
    >>
    >> Newegg drops the price to $140 limit 10
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374
    >> Down to $100 limit 10.

    > The normal list was $65, with sales down to $50, before the floods.
    >
    > I'd guess early hoarders are beginning to see the price break and
    > are unloading them, which is how the market discovers how badly
    > how many people want them and who to sell them to.

    looks like the hoarders have filled their warehouses and lost their
    appetite to buy more. and they paid top dollar to do so.
    baring some other natural catastrophe it sounds like pricing will be
    back to the 9/2011 level by 4/2012 if not sooner.

  7. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > > I'd guess early hoarders are beginning to see the price break and
    > > are unloading them, which is how the market discovers how badly
    > > how many people want them and who to sell them to.
    > >

    > looks like the hoarders have filled their warehouses and lost their
    > appetite to buy more. and they paid top dollar to do so.
    > baring some other natural catastrophe it sounds like pricing will be
    > back to the 9/2011 level by 4/2012 if not sooner.

    I doubt there are any hoarders who bought at a high price, just people
    who happened to have a good stock and are trying to guess when to sell.

    Guessing wrong happens most of the time, guessing right rarely.

    The service they provide in their greed is allocating the available
    supply to people who have the greatest current need of HDs.

    No lines! You can get all the HDs you want, if you want them at the price.

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=+hoarding hard drives