HDTV out from a 4870?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by DerekBaker, Dec 7, 2008.

  1. DerekBaker

    DerekBaker Guest

    ChrisR wrote:
    > So I'm the proud new owner of a 4870 (Samsung 1080p). Using just HDMI
    > from the DVI out doesn't looks very good at all. What about the
    > connector that looks like an S-video output between the two DVI outputs?
    > Does one need a special cable or something?

    What exactly is the problem with the image? My Samsung 1080p panel looks
    great driven by the HDMI on my 4870.

    --
    Derek

    DerekBaker, Dec 7, 2008

  2. DerekBaker

    DerekBaker Guest

    ChrisR wrote:
    > Ant wrote:

    >>> It has that look when an lcd display is not running at its native
    >>> resolution - not sure what the technical term is. Yucky? I can use
    >>> the PC input on the Samsung but this requires using VGA and this
    >>> means the TV drops a bunch of functions from the signal. And its
    >>> analogue etc.

    >> Stretched? Blurry?

    > Just not scaled correctly resulting in semi distorted text etc. Just
    > doesn't look as good as using the VGA PC input. But it was my
    > understanding that ATI had good HDTV support. But is it via HDMI or
    > that center connector between the two DVI out?

    HDMI gives the best picture.

    Have you got the PC and TV set to the same res and refresh rate?

    My HTPC is outputting at 1920x1080@50Hz.

    Don't know what panel you've got, but if it's like mine pressing Info
    when displaying the HDMI output brings up a display of the panel's settings.

    --
    Derek

    DerekBaker, Dec 8, 2008

  3. DerekBaker

    DerekBaker Guest

    DerekBaker wrote:
    > ChrisR wrote:
    >> Ant wrote:
    >>> On 12/8/2008 9:23 AM PT, ChrisR typed:

    >>> Stretched? Blurry?

    >> Just not scaled correctly resulting in semi distorted text etc. Just
    >> doesn't look as good as using the VGA PC input. But it was my
    >> understanding that ATI had good HDTV support. But is it via HDMI or
    >> that center connector between the two DVI out?

    > HDMI gives the best picture.
    >
    > Have you got the PC and TV set to the same res and refresh rate?
    >
    > My HTPC is outputting at 1920x1080@50Hz.
    >
    > Don't know what panel you've got, but if it's like mine pressing Info
    > when displaying the HDMI output brings up a display of the panel's
    > settings.

    Also, I set Sharpening to 0 for the HDMI output.

    --
    Derek

    ChrisR, Dec 8, 2008
  5. DerekBaker

    DerekBaker Guest

    ChrisR wrote:
    > DerekBaker wrote:
    >> DerekBaker wrote:

    >>> HDMI gives the best picture.
    >>>
    >>> Have you got the PC and TV set to the same res and refresh rate?
    >>>
    >>> My HTPC is outputting at 1920x1080@50Hz.
    >>>
    >>> Don't know what panel you've got, but if it's like mine pressing Info
    >>> when displaying the HDMI output brings up a display of the panel's
    >>> settings.
    >>>

    >> Also, I set Sharpening to 0 for the HDMI output.
    >>

    > Ok thanks. Yes the image looks better with sharpness set to zero, but
    > its still not as nice to view as the PC input via the VGA input. I'd
    > still really like to use the HDMI......I'll play some more.
    > TV is a Samsung LA40A650A btw, 40", 100Hz top of the line TV so the
    > issue is not there.

    You didn't say what settings your desktop's at.

    --
    Derek

    DerekBaker, Dec 8, 2008
  6. DerekBaker

    ChrisR Guest

    DerekBaker wrote:
    > ChrisR wrote:
    >> DerekBaker wrote:

    >>> Also, I set Sharpening to 0 for the HDMI output.
    >>>

    >> Ok thanks. Yes the image looks better with sharpness set to zero, but
    >> its still not as nice to view as the PC input via the VGA input. I'd
    >> still really like to use the HDMI......I'll play some more.
    >> TV is a Samsung LA40A650A btw, 40", 100Hz top of the line TV so the
    >> issue is not there.

    > You didn't say what settings your desktop's at.

    Well its the native resolution of the TV, i.e. 1920x1080p.

    ChrisR, Dec 8, 2008
  7. DerekBaker

    ChrisR Guest

    ChrisR, Dec 8, 2008
  8. DerekBaker

    ChrisR Guest

    ChrisR, Dec 9, 2008
  9. DerekBaker

    ChrisR Guest

    ChrisR, Dec 9, 2008
  10. DerekBaker

    ChrisR Guest

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article <ghic2s$8i9$>, ChrisR <> wrote:
    >> Ant wrote:
    >>> On 12/8/2008 9:23 AM PT, ChrisR typed:

    >>> Stretched? Blurry?

    >> Just not scaled correctly resulting in semi distorted text etc. Just
    >> doesn't look as good as using the VGA PC input. But it was my
    >> understanding that ATI had good HDTV support. But is it via HDMI or
    >> that center connector between the two DVI out?

    > You need to go into catalyst control center, click on display manager, and
    > select FORCE , HDTV mode, "1920x1080"

    Did this, still looks like rubbish compared to using the analogue vga pc
    input...

    ChrisR, Dec 11, 2008
  11. DerekBaker

    pokey man Guest

    HDMI or
    > >> that center connector between the two DVI out?

    > > You need to go into catalyst control center, click on display manager,

    and
    > > select FORCE , HDTV mode, "1920x1080"

    > Did this, still looks like rubbish compared to using the analogue vga pc
    > input..

    bad cable?.

    pokey man, Dec 13, 2008