    Can anyone suggest a good cooler for a Socket 775 CPU that will fit OK in my
    Gateway motherboard and case? Thanks.

    Eddie

    Eddie E, Jan 22, 2008

  2. Eddie E

    Ben Myers Guest

    FWIW, I built a custom system with Intel quad core CPU and stock Intel heat
    sink/cooling fan for a client a few months ago, and I have not heard one
    complaint.

    If you are going to use another brand, you will need to measure the EXACT
    dimensions available inside the Gateway chassis and match them with the specs of
    various aftermarket fans... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 22, 2008

  3. Eddie E

    Eddie E Guest

    Wow! now that's a fast reply. Since you feel the stock cooler works fine on
    a quad core, maybe I'll give the stock cooler for the Core-2 Duo a shot. I
    can always replace the cooler if it is not sufficient. Thanks Ben.

    Eddie

    Eddie E, Jan 22, 2008
  4. Eddie E

    Ben Myers Guest

    According to info on the Gateway web site, the GM5424 uses a standard Intel
    965-chipset motherboard with slightly customized Gateway BIOS. Because
    different versions of BIOS recognize different CPUs, it would be best to update
    the BIOS to the latest before installing a newer CPU.

    Intel's heat sink/cooling fans for the LGA775 CPUs all look very much alike, but
    the rated amperage differs among fans for Celerons, P4 HT, Core-2 Duo and Quad
    Core. With the higher amperage comes faster RPMs and sometimes slightly
    different design to push more air and cool the hotter CPUs.

    Intel has made a serious effort to reduce power consumption and heat with its
    newer mult-core CPUs, consistently reducing the voltage needed by a CPU to
    operate... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 22, 2008
  5. Eddie E

    mdp Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > According to info on the Gateway web site, the GM5424 uses a standard
    > Intel 965-chipset motherboard with slightly customized Gateway BIOS.
    > Because different versions of BIOS recognize different CPUs, it would
    > be best to update the BIOS to the latest before installing a newer
    > CPU.
    >
    > Intel's heat sink/cooling fans for the LGA775 CPUs all look very much
    > alike, but the rated amperage differs among fans for Celerons, P4 HT,
    > Core-2 Duo and Quad Core. With the higher amperage comes faster
    > RPMs and sometimes slightly different design to push more air and
    > cool the hotter CPUs.
    >
    > Intel has made a serious effort to reduce power consumption and heat
    > with its newer mult-core CPUs, consistently reducing the voltage
    > needed by a CPU to operate... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:25:30 -0500, "Eddie E"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Wow! now that's a fast reply. Since you feel the stock cooler works
    >> fine on a quad core, maybe I'll give the stock cooler for the Core-2
    >> Duo a shot. I can always replace the cooler if it is not sufficient.
    >> Thanks Ben.
    >>
    >> Eddie
    >>
    >> "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    >>> FWIW, I built a custom system with Intel quad core CPU and stock
    >>> Intel heat
    >>> sink/cooling fan for a client a few months ago, and I have not
    >>> heard one complaint.
    >>>
    >>> If you are going to use another brand, you will need to measure the
    >>> EXACT dimensions available inside the Gateway chassis and match
    >>> them with the specs of
    >>> various aftermarket fans... Ben Myers
    >>>
    >>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:14:10 -0500, "Eddie E"
    >>> <>

    I replaced a stock Intel LGA775 Fan/Heatsink with this and temps dropped ~20
    degrees. Stays under 100 degrees F. It's quiet. Cost me around $40
    shipped off eBay.

    http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/Retail/CL-P0378/cl-p0378.asp

    mdp, Jan 23, 2008
  6. Eddie E

    Ben Myers Guest

    Thermaltake and Zalman are two of the best-regarded aftermarket heat
    sink/cooling fans. No surprise that your system runs 20 degrees cooler with a
    Thermaltake. Still, 120 degrees is not a terribly hot operating temperature for
    a CPU. Fahrenheit, that is. It is simply warmer than 100 degrees... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 23, 2008
  7. On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:08:21 -0800, mdp wrote:

    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> According to info on the Gateway web site, the GM5424 uses a standard
    >> Intel 965-chipset motherboard with slightly customized Gateway BIOS.
    >> Because different versions of BIOS recognize different CPUs, it would
    >> be best to update the BIOS to the latest before installing a newer CPU.
    >>
    >> Intel's heat sink/cooling fans for the LGA775 CPUs all look very much
    >> alike, but the rated amperage differs among fans for Celerons, P4 HT,
    >> Core-2 Duo and Quad Core. With the higher amperage comes faster RPMs
    >> and sometimes slightly different design to push more air and cool the
    >> hotter CPUs.
    >>
    >> Intel has made a serious effort to reduce power consumption and heat
    >> with its newer mult-core CPUs, consistently reducing the voltage needed
    >> by a CPU to operate... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:25:30 -0500, "Eddie E"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wow! now that's a fast reply. Since you feel the stock cooler works
    >>> fine on a quad core, maybe I'll give the stock cooler for the Core-2
    >>> Duo a shot. I can always replace the cooler if it is not sufficient.
    >>> Thanks Ben.
    >>>
    >>> Eddie
    >>>
    >>> "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message

    > I replaced a stock Intel LGA775 Fan/Heatsink with this and temps dropped
    > ~20 degrees. Stays under 100 degrees F. It's quiet. Cost me around
    > $40 shipped off eBay.
    >
    > http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/Retail/CL-P0378/cl-p0378.asp

    I have had several Thermaltake CPU fans fail in less than a year...

    Most recently a TT-9038A that is time stamped 2007, 03-22 - yes it is a
    brushless CPU fan...

    JR

    Postman Delivers, Jan 25, 2008