Heatsink replacement problem / heatsink detection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sambo, Jan 13, 2008.

  1. Sambo

    Sambo Guest

    I have tried replacing my heatsink and fan many times now , but
    non if the new heatsinks were accepted by the motherboard.
    When I try to boot the power goes out after 1 or 2 seconds.
    The board is Asus A7V333 and the original heatsink is longer than
    all the new ones , raised allowing it to cover most of the plastic
    under which the sockets lever is attached. This raised area has
    2 slits that are almost covered by the original heatsink so I hoped
    there were light sensors there but that does not seam to be the case.
    The detection doesn't even involve the heatsink clamp being in place
    since just placing the heatsink on top of the CPU seams to make it work.

    Any other possibilities?

    I would like to close this up since besides knocking on the fan
    I have no other reason to keep it open.
    The Atholon 2100MHz has always been running at 1300 since I got it
    second hand because it was getting way too hot.
    But even then if in C&C on a hot summer day....
    Until I cleaned up the area of old heat transfer pad , old paste
    and newly applied Stars 700 heatsink compound that I got almost
    constant 60C (oops 52 now but I haven't played C&C )

    So best transfer with nothing on it.

    Cheers

    Sambo, Jan 13, 2008

  2. Sambo

    Charles Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:35:36 -0500, Sambo <> wrote:

    >I have tried replacing my heatsink and fan many times now , but
    >non if the new heatsinks were accepted by the motherboard.
    >When I try to boot the power goes out after 1 or 2 seconds.
    >The board is Asus A7V333 and the original heatsink is longer than
    >all the new ones , raised allowing it to cover most of the plastic
    >under which the sockets lever is attached. This raised area has
    >2 slits that are almost covered by the original heatsink so I hoped
    >there were light sensors there but that does not seam to be the case.
    >The detection doesn't even involve the heatsink clamp being in place
    >since just placing the heatsink on top of the CPU seams to make it work.
    >
    >Any other possibilities?
    >
    >I would like to close this up since besides knocking on the fan
    >I have no other reason to keep it open.
    >The Atholon 2100MHz has always been running at 1300 since I got it
    >second hand because it was getting way too hot.
    >But even then if in C&C on a hot summer day....
    >Until I cleaned up the area of old heat transfer pad , old paste
    >and newly applied Stars 700 heatsink compound that I got almost
    >constant 60C (oops 52 now but I haven't played C&C )
    >
    >So best transfer with nothing on it.
    >
    >Cheers

    I had a similar problem to this, I took it to the shop, they ended up
    replacing the MB. They tried various things, couldn't make it work .
    Couldn't tell why the heat sink would not maintain good contact.

    Charles, Jan 13, 2008

  3. Sambo

    Sambo Guest

    Charles wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:35:36 -0500, Sambo <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have tried replacing my heatsink and fan many times now , but
    >>non if the new heatsinks were accepted by the motherboard.
    >>When I try to boot the power goes out after 1 or 2 seconds.
    >>The board is Asus A7V333 and the original heatsink is longer than
    >>all the new ones , raised allowing it to cover most of the plastic
    >>under which the sockets lever is attached. This raised area has
    >>2 slits that are almost covered by the original heatsink so I hoped
    >>there were light sensors there but that does not seam to be the case.
    >>The detection doesn't even involve the heatsink clamp being in place
    >>since just placing the heatsink on top of the CPU seams to make it work.
    >>
    >>Any other possibilities?
    >>
    >>I would like to close this up since besides knocking on the fan
    >>I have no other reason to keep it open.
    >>The Atholon 2100MHz has always been running at 1300 since I got it
    >>second hand because it was getting way too hot.
    >>But even then if in C&C on a hot summer day....
    >>Until I cleaned up the area of old heat transfer pad , old paste
    >>and newly applied Stars 700 heatsink compound that I got almost
    >>constant 60C (oops 52 now but I haven't played C&C )
    >>
    >>So best transfer with nothing on it.
    >>
    >>Cheers

    > I had a similar problem to this, I took it to the shop, they ended up
    > replacing the MB. They tried various things, couldn't make it work .
    > Couldn't tell why the heat sink would not maintain good contact.

    I just realized this heatsink is anodized ( or whatever the term is )
    and so was the last one , let's hope the 4 rubber pads on the CPU are
    actually electrodes. Well Al foil to the rescue.
    Now that I said that, it seams that I have read about foil in the context
    of installing heatsinks.
    Hmmm...

    Sambo, Jan 13, 2008