Help ... Abit SE6 won't POST

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Jim Burton, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. Jim Burton

    Jim Burton Guest

    I have a Abit SE6 MoBo which I am trying to install in an old case for use
    by my grandaughter
    It appeared to be working OK until I powered it off and installed the
    following cards
    ATI Graphics Radeon 7200 and Creative Live Drive 5.1
    Also installed a formatted 10GB HDD

    Now it won't POST ... The LED on the MoBo lights up and the CPU fan is
    working ... but no output to screen and no Beeps at all.
    ..... Removing all of the above doesn't make any difference
    ..... Swapped PSU and still no POST

    I am wondering if clearing the CMOS will help ...
    Will this reset the CMOS to fail safe settings ?

    Any suggestions gratefully received

    Regards & TIA

    1. Advertising

  2. Yokel

    Yokel Guest

    You need to pull the board and look for bad caps.

    Jim Burton wrote:
    > I have a Abit SE6 MoBo which I am trying to install in an old case for use
    > by my grandaughter
    > It appeared to be working OK until I powered it off and installed the
    > following cards
    > ATI Graphics Radeon 7200 and Creative Live Drive 5.1
    > Also installed a formatted 10GB HDD
    >
    > Now it won't POST ... The LED on the MoBo lights up and the CPU fan is
    > working ... but no output to screen and no Beeps at all.
    > .... Removing all of the above doesn't make any difference
    > .... Swapped PSU and still no POST
    >
    > I am wondering if clearing the CMOS will help ...
    > Will this reset the CMOS to fail safe settings ?
    >
    > Any suggestions gratefully received
    >
    > Regards & TIA

    1. Advertising

  3. fondue

    fondue Guest

    "Yokel" <> wrote in message
    > You need to pull the board and look for bad caps.
    >
    > Jim Burton wrote:
    >> I have a Abit SE6 MoBo which I am trying to install in an old case for
    >> use
    >> by my grandaughter
    >> It appeared to be working OK until I powered it off and installed the
    >> following cards
    >> ATI Graphics Radeon 7200 and Creative Live Drive 5.1
    >> Also installed a formatted 10GB HDD
    >>
    >> Now it won't POST ... The LED on the MoBo lights up and the CPU fan is
    >> working ... but no output to screen and no Beeps at all.
    >> .... Removing all of the above doesn't make any difference
    >> .... Swapped PSU and still no POST
    >>
    >> I am wondering if clearing the CMOS will help ...
    >> Will this reset the CMOS to fail safe settings ?

    Yes it will, but is this the problem?

    What happens if you put the old VGA card back in, or even a PCI one.

  4. Ben D Toy

    Ben D Toy Guest

    Ok - Problem found or at least it now POSTs - I think it was a bad
    connection somewhere - probably the CPU
    Thanks to all or their suggestions

    "Jim Burton" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Abit SE6 MoBo which I am trying to install in an old case for use
    > by my grandaughter
    > It appeared to be working OK until I powered it off and installed the
    > following cards
    > ATI Graphics Radeon 7200 and Creative Live Drive 5.1
    > Also installed a formatted 10GB HDD
    >
    > Now it won't POST ... The LED on the MoBo lights up and the CPU fan is
    > working ... but no output to screen and no Beeps at all.
    > .... Removing all of the above doesn't make any difference
    > .... Swapped PSU and still no POST
    >
    > I am wondering if clearing the CMOS will help ...
    > Will this reset the CMOS to fail safe settings ?
    >
    > Any suggestions gratefully received
    >
    > Regards & TIA

  5. fondue

    fondue Guest

    "Ben D Toy" <> wrote in message
    > Ok - Problem found or at least it now POSTs - I think it was a bad
    > connection somewhere - probably the CPU
    > Thanks to all or their suggestions

    <snip>

    I did have a problem once where when I tightened the screw to fix an AGP
    card to the case, the screw would pull down the case end of the card down
    and cause the other end to lift up, just enough to not contact properly with
    the AGP slot - fixed it with a washer :)

    Just recently I modded a case and when I moved the working parts into the
    case it wouldn't boot. After much fiddling about and swapping of parts, I
    shorted the power pins on the mobo and it booted.

    Turned out that, (despite being gentle), when I had the face of the case off
    the movement of the wires was enough to break the solder joint on one of the
    wires to the power switch, and the sleeve prevented the wire from falling
    off completely ;-)