Help: Blank Desktop Problem

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Searcher7, May 18, 2011.

  1. Searcher7

    Searcher7 Guest

    I'm posting this from the local library because last night I attempted
    to do the "right thing" and run a full system scan using Avast!

    When I got up it was "finished" except that now it offered the option
    for a "boot scan".

    I didn't want to have to go all day without my system while it was
    scanning and so re-booted in an attempt to get back on line.

    Now, wvwn though I can get as far as my Desktop, the task bar and the
    icons do not load. So I cannot do anything. I even have to pull the
    plug out of the case in order to turn off the machine.

    I can bring up the Task manager.(For all the good that does).

    I'd appreciate any ideas on how to correct this problem.

    My system is a Dell, Pentium 3, 833mhz, 512mb, running Windows XP.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Searcher7, May 18, 2011

  2. Searcher7

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 18, 5:40 pm, Searcher7 <2.com> wrote:
    > I'm posting this from the local library because last night I attempted
    > to do the "right thing" and run a full system scan using Avast!
    >
    > When I got up it was "finished" except that now it offered the option
    > for a "boot scan".
    >
    > I didn't want to have to go all day without my system while it was
    > scanning and so re-booted  in an attempt to get back on line.
    >
    > Now, wvwn though I can get as far as my Desktop, the task bar and the
    > icons do not load. So I cannot do anything. I even have to pull the
    > plug out of the case in order to turn off the machine.
    >
    > I can bring up the Task manager.(For all the good that does).
    >
    > I'd appreciate any ideas on how to correct this problem.
    >
    > My system is a Dell, Pentium 3, 833mhz, 512mb, running Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Are you saying you where doing the optional "Boot Scan" and then
    decided not to...and then re-booted?

    Bob Villa, May 19, 2011

  3. Searcher7

    Searcher7 Guest

    On May 18, 7:17 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On May 18, 5:40 pm, Searcher7 <2.com> wrote:
    >

    > > I'm posting this from the local library because last night I attempted
    > > to do the "right thing" and run a full system scan using Avast!

    > > When I got up it was "finished" except that now it offered the option
    > > for a "boot scan".

    > > I didn't want to have to go all day without my system while it was
    > > scanning and so re-booted  in an attempt to get back on line.

    > > Now, wvwn though I can get as far as my Desktop, the task bar and the
    > > icons do not load. So I cannot do anything. I even have to pull the
    > > plug out of the case in order to turn off the machine.

    > > I can bring up the Task manager.(For all the good that does).

    > > I'd appreciate any ideas on how to correct this problem.

    > > My system is a Dell, Pentium 3, 833mhz, 512mb, running Windows XP.

    > > Thanks.

    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.

    > Are you saying you where doing the optional "Boot Scan" and then
    > decided not to...and then re-booted?- Hide quoted text -

    Avast! notified my that in order to complete the scan I'd have to re-
    boot and it would do the boot scan.

    So I chose that option.

    When I came back to my PC 15 minutes later the boot scan was only at
    2%, so I chose the option(ESC) it gave me to cancel the scan.

    I'd like to point out that in the past I have had this problem, but
    got through it after several re-boots. (But that hasn't happend since
    last year).

    This time, despite a dozen reboot and even waiting up to an hour to
    see if the icons appear on my desktop, I get nothing.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Searcher7, May 19, 2011
  4. Searcher7

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 18, 5:40 pm, Searcher7 <2.com> wrote:
    > I'm posting this from the local library because last night I attempted
    > to do the "right thing" and run a full system scan using Avast!
    >
    > When I got up it was "finished" except that now it offered the option
    > for a "boot scan".
    >
    > I didn't want to have to go all day without my system while it was
    > scanning and so re-booted  in an attempt to get back on line.
    >
    > Now, wvwn though I can get as far as my Desktop, the task bar and the
    > icons do not load. So I cannot do anything. I even have to pull the
    > plug out of the case in order to turn off the machine.
    >
    > I can bring up the Task manager.(For all the good that does).
    >
    > I'd appreciate any ideas on how to correct this problem.
    >
    > My system is a Dell, Pentium 3, 833mhz, 512mb, running Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Is this the original HDD for that system? That would make it quite old
    and beyond its years!

    Bob Villa, May 19, 2011
  5. On Wed, 18 May 2011 15:40:08 -0700, Searcher7 wrote:

    > I'm posting this from the local library because last night I attempted
    > to do the "right thing" and run a full system scan using Avast!
    >
    > When I got up it was "finished" except that now it offered the option
    > for a "boot scan".
    >
    > I didn't want to have to go all day without my system while it was
    > scanning and so re-booted in an attempt to get back on line.
    >
    > Now, wvwn though I can get as far as my Desktop, the task bar and the
    > icons do not load. So I cannot do anything. I even have to pull the
    > plug out of the case in order to turn off the machine.
    >
    > I can bring up the Task manager.(For all the good that does).
    >
    > I'd appreciate any ideas on how to correct this problem.
    >
    > My system is a Dell, Pentium 3, 833mhz, 512mb, running Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    You probably have a virus.

    If you can bring up Task Manager, that actually IS good, the OS is still
    installed, but something's not quite right.

    Open Task Manager and then "Start New Task" or 'process' or whatever, and
    type in "explorer" (without quotes, but you knew that... ;) ). This will
    bring up your usual desktop. You can do this forever, albeit it's a PITA.
    The usual advice..."reload Windows".

    Or, load Linux... ;)

    At least you will be able to get your desktop back, and then DO A BACKUP
    OF ALL YOUR DATA, and THEN run your virus scan again, doing a complete
    scan. It might resolve the issue, if not, do a reload.

    Dell Certified Field Engineer.

    Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B, May 21, 2011