HELP!- dead<Shift>,<Alt>&<Ctrl>

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Carl S, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Carl S

    Carl S Guest

    This is in regard to my N610c laptop computer. The <Shift>, <Alt> and
    <Ctrl> keys have failed to function. An external keyboard plugged into
    the back of the computer works fine. I can get uppercase letters with
    caps lock, but that doesn't get me the characters over the numbers. I
    have tried:

    - Uninstalling keyboard from device manager then re-booting and letting
    it be recognized and reinstalled
    - Removed computer battery for few minutes then powering up and rebooting
    - Checking/unchecking every combination I could try in the accessibility
    controls with respect to sticky and function keys

    None of the above changes the situation.

    Could I have accidentally put it into a mode that I don't know how to
    get out of?

    Many thanks and any help would be appreciated!

    /Carl S
    Dallas TX
    Carl S, Jan 21, 2007

  2. Carl S

    HH Guest

    Notebook keyboards go bad. Probably need to replace it.

    HH

    HH, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Carl S

    - Bobb - Guest

    > "Carl S" <> wrote in message
    >> This is in regard to my N610c laptop computer. The <Shift>, <Alt>
    >> and <Ctrl> keys have failed to function. An external keyboard
    >> plugged into the back of the computer works fine. I can get
    >> uppercase letters with caps lock, but that doesn't get me the
    >> characters over the numbers. I have tried:
    >>
    >> - Uninstalling keyboard from device manager then re-booting and
    >> letting it be recognized and reinstalled
    >>
    >> Could I have accidentally put it into a mode that I don't know how to
    >> get out of?
    >> /Carl S

    To check that - go into bios and select "set to factory settings"
    - Bobb -, Jan 23, 2007
  4. Carl S

    Carl S Guest

    That makes sense if it's a bios issue. But are those accessibility
    settings controlled by Win/XP? If so, the bios restored to factory
    default may not be the issue...ya' think? Only reason I'm saving
    removal of keyboard as last resort is suspicion that too much
    coincidence the 3 keys involved are exactly the ones mentioned under
    settings for sticky keys/filter keys. If keyboard were defective, I
    would think keys involved would be more random. But...maybe not. I
    will try your suggestion - - THANKS for input.

    /Carl

    Carl S, Jan 23, 2007
  5. Carl S

    - Bobb - Guest

    >>> - Bobb - wrote:
    >>> "Carl S" <> wrote in message

    >> To check that - go into bios and select "set to factory settings"
    >> Bobb

    > "Carl S" <> wrote in message
    > That makes sense if it's a bios issue. But are those accessibility
    > settings controlled by Win/XP? If so, the bios restored to factory
    > default may not be the issue...ya' think? Only reason I'm saving
    > removal of keyboard as last resort is suspicion that too much
    > coincidence the 3 keys involved are exactly the ones mentioned under
    > settings for sticky keys/filter keys. If keyboard were defective, I
    > would think keys involved would be more random. But...maybe not. I
    > will try your suggestion - - THANKS for input.
    >
    > /Carl

    Did I miss something ? Where previously did you mention Sticky Keys ?
    I thought you stated a PC issue with CTRL+ALT+DEL.
    To check CTRL+ALT+DEL :
    Turn on PC.
    It starts BIOS test
    Press CTRL ALT DEL,
    Does it reboot ?
    If so, not kb/bios issue.
    If that's the case update us here as to your windows issue. Are you
    doing CTRL+ALT+DEL from Windows to get the "lock my PC" / "shutdown"
    pop-up window ? And THAT does not work ? only from laptop kb ?
    - Bobb -, Jan 23, 2007
  6. Carl S

    Carl S Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    >>> To check that - go into bios and select "set to factory settings"
    >>> Bobb

    >> "Carl S" <> wrote in message
    >> That makes sense if it's a bios issue. But are those accessibility
    >> settings controlled by Win/XP? If so, the bios restored to factory
    >> default may not be the issue...ya' think? Only reason I'm saving
    >> removal of keyboard as last resort is suspicion that too much
    >> coincidence the 3 keys involved are exactly the ones mentioned under
    >> settings for sticky keys/filter keys. If keyboard were defective, I
    >> would think keys involved would be more random. But...maybe not. I
    >> will try your suggestion - - THANKS for input.
    >>
    >> /Carl

    > Did I miss something ? Where previously did you mention Sticky Keys ?
    > I thought you stated a PC issue with CTRL+ALT+DEL.
    > To check CTRL+ALT+DEL :
    > Turn on PC.
    > It starts BIOS test
    > Press CTRL ALT DEL,
    > Does it reboot ?
    > If so, not kb/bios issue.
    > If that's the case update us here as to your windows issue. Are you
    > doing CTRL+ALT+DEL from Windows to get the "lock my PC" / "shutdown"
    > pop-up window ? And THAT does not work ? only from laptop kb ?

    I'm sorry if I misled you. Not CTRL+ALT+DEL problem. Problem first
    seemed to only be failure of shift keys. Then I realized that several
    days before, I had seen a window pop up saying something about hitting
    shift 5 times to get into sticky key mode, even though I hadn't done
    that. So I went into accessibility settings and checked/unchecked all
    combinations of boxes but nothing made a difference. Then I later
    realized that CTRL and ALT are also affected. But my DEL key works. I
    was probably guilty of stating that in another post...sorry. But thanks
    for your interest! Maybe I just need to prepare myself to remove
    keyboard and clean the contacts.

    /Carl

    Carl S, Jan 24, 2007
  7. Carl S

    Carl S Guest

    Solved it--keyboard prob!

    Thanks to all who replied. As much as I was unwilling to consider it,
    the problem turned out to be my keyboard afterall...intermittent
    connection, dirt, or sumthun'

    Although I was hesitant to undertake the task of removing the keyboard,
    it was pretty simple, except for figuring out how to remove the clips
    which held cables in place, so I left 'em alone. Blew out the keys from
    underneath with compressed air, put it back together, and all keys work
    as they should.

    Again, many thanks!

    /Carl S
    Carl S, Jan 25, 2007