Help! Do I have a hardware problem?

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Rizwan Ahmed, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Rizwan Ahmed

    Rizwan Ahmed Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a 5 year old Dell 8200 running windows XP and seem to have a problem
    that I cannot figure out. My computer started running very very slow about
    3 weeks ago, so I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows
    XP. However, the reformatting process ran very slow as well (~8 hours to do
    28GB) and the computer is still running very slow. I should say that when I
    am trying to open a program, the hard drive light is on while the computer
    is loading the program (it can take almost 30 seconds to open a program).

    Since the reformatting process ran so slow, I am suspecting that my problem
    is in hardware. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Can a hard
    drive just slow down? I also read something about the BIOS battery running
    out and changing settings that can slow the system down. Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Rizwan

    1. Advertising

  2. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:06:27 -0800, "Rizwan Ahmed" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I have a 5 year old Dell 8200 running windows XP and seem to have a problem
    >that I cannot figure out. My computer started running very very slow about
    >3 weeks ago, so I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows
    >XP. However, the reformatting process ran very slow as well (~8 hours to do
    >28GB) and the computer is still running very slow. I should say that when I
    >am trying to open a program, the hard drive light is on while the computer
    >is loading the program (it can take almost 30 seconds to open a program).
    >
    >Since the reformatting process ran so slow, I am suspecting that my problem
    >is in hardware. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Can a hard
    >drive just slow down? I also read something about the BIOS battery running
    >out and changing settings that can slow the system down. Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Rizwan

    Hard drive no longer operating in ultra dma mode?
    Insufficient cooling causing processor to throttle down?

    1. Advertising

  3. Cl.Massé

    Cl.Massé Guest

    "Rizwan Ahmed" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    drb6jk$5j0$

    > I have a 5 year old Dell 8200 running windows XP and seem to have a
    > problem that I cannot figure out. My computer started running very very
    > slow about 3 weeks ago, so I recently reformatted my hard drive and
    > reinstalled windows XP. However, the reformatting process ran very slow
    > as well (~8 hours to do 28GB) and the computer is still running very
    > slow. I should say that when I am trying to open a program, the hard
    > drive light is on while the computer is loading the program (it can take
    > almost 30 seconds to open a program).
    >
    > Since the reformatting process ran so slow, I am suspecting that my
    > problem is in hardware. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Can
    > a hard drive just slow down? I also read something about the BIOS
    > battery running out and changing settings that can slow the system down.
    > Any ideas?

    You may have bad sectors on the hard disk. To verify that, boot in the
    recovery console from the Windows disk in the recovery console, and run
    "CHKDSK /R". Of course, you have already backed up your data, but now it
    may be time to purchase a new hard disk.

    --
    ~~~~ clmasse on free F-country
    Free technical support at : http://www.protonic.com/