    value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
    wireless.)

    Thanks.
    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007

  2. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:06:07 -0400, Newbie wrote
    (in article <211020070106053748%>):

    > Forgive me if these are not the right groups but I am trying to squeeze
    > a post in somehow: my dsl modem is dead and I need a new one.
    >
    > Problem is, without internet connection, I don't have any of my usual
    > tools of learning or shopping!
    >
    > My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
    > Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?
    >
    > If latter, what will be a good store to buy/order from, what is a best
    > value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
    > wireless.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA near
    you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd get a
    router while I was at it, but that's me.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007

  3. Newbie <> wrote:

    > My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
    > Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?

    Aren't they able to answer that question?

    --
    <http://designsbymike.info/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
    <http://designsbymike.info/shop/musings.cgi> Muckraking T-shirts
    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  4. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Mike Rosenberg <> wrote:

    > Newbie <> wrote:
    >
    > > My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
    > > Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?

    > Aren't they able to answer that question?

    My modem conveniently died on the weekend. Their business office will
    open Monday morning. :)
    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007
  5. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:

    > If I were you I'd get a router while I was at it, but that's me.

    If I understand correctly, that would help only if we plan to connect
    two or more computers to internet?

    Or is it necessary even if we might want to connect one computer
    wirelessly one day?

    Still, I do see that now is the time decide before buying a new modem.

    When you say router, is that a separate item from modem or is that just
    a more complex kind of modem?

    Sorry, not sure about such basics! Thanks for all help.
    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:

    > Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA near
    > you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd get a
    > router while I was at it, but that's me.

    I believe that chain went out of business.

    Did in my region anyway.
    D. Kirkpatrick, Oct 21, 2007
  7. In article <211020070106053748%>,
    Newbie <> wrote:

    > Forgive me if these are not the right groups but I am trying to squeeze
    > a post in somehow: my dsl modem is dead and I need a new one.
    >
    > Problem is, without internet connection, I don't have any of my usual
    > tools of learning or shopping!
    >
    > My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
    > Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?
    >
    > If latter, what will be a good store to buy/order from, what is a best
    > value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
    > wireless.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    The question is whether the modem is actually "Dead". Unfortunately a
    DSL line can fail or become less-capable of maintaining a connection
    at the DSL speed and signal when a dial-up modem will still work.

    If you are adept at testing all parameters and can deduce the DSL
    modem is dead, then OK, but a series of tests with and without micro
    filters in the line, disconnecting phone devices, checking at the NID
    will be called for.
    D. Kirkpatrick, Oct 21, 2007
  8. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    D. Kirkpatrick <> wrote:

    > I believe that [Compusa] went out of business.
    >
    > Did in my region anyway.

    Here too. Best Buy, Circuit City, and Micro Center is all I can think
    of if I had to buy locally.
    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007
  9. Newbie <> wrote:

    > My modem conveniently died on the weekend. Their business office will
    > open Monday morning. :)

    Seriously? They don't let you talk to someone on the weekend?

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  10. D. Kirkpatrick <> wrote:

    > > Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA
    > > near you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd
    > > get a router while I was at it, but that's me.

    > I believe that chain went out of business.

    They appear to have left some regions, but they're still in business. I
    can't say I understand why anyone intentionally goes into one of their
    stores, though.

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  11. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:26:33 -0400, Newbie wrote
    (in article <211020071226331156%>):

    > J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:
    >
    >> If I were you I'd get a router while I was at it, but that's me.

    > If I understand correctly, that would help only if we plan to connect
    > two or more computers to internet?

    It also will NAT away your computer, so that annoying people have a problem
    getting on your machine remotely.

    > Or is it necessary even if we might want to connect one computer
    > wirelessly one day?

    Not necessary, but a good idea.

    And if you're using wireless, do NOT use WEP.

    > Still, I do see that now is the time decide before buying a new modem.
    >
    > When you say router, is that a separate item from modem or is that just
    > a more complex kind of modem?

    Separate from the modem.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007
  12. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:27:39 -0400, D. Kirkpatrick wrote
    (in article <>):

    > In article <>,
    > J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:
    >
    >> Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA
    >> near
    >> you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd get a
    >> router while I was at it, but that's me.

    > I believe that chain went out of business.
    >
    > Did in my region anyway.

    They're very much alive around here. There are three stores within 30 miles
    of me.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007
  13. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:39:45 -0400, Mike Rosenberg wrote
    (in article <1i6c8mv.10335jv19nmqjN%>):

    > D. Kirkpatrick <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA
    >>> near you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd
    >>> get a router while I was at it, but that's me.

    >> I believe that chain went out of business.

    > They appear to have left some regions, but they're still in business. I
    > can't say I understand why anyone intentionally goes into one of their
    > stores, though.

    Come on. It's not like they were <shiver> Circuit City </shiver>.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007
  14. J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:

    > Come on. It's not like they were <shiver> Circuit City </shiver>.

    I don't know much about Circuit City, but my clients have told me enough
    stories about their visits to CompUSA to make me conclude that:

    1. Their employees don't know anything.
    2. They're trained, when asked a question the can't answer, to make up a
    response.

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  15. Newbie

    Bill Rider Guest

    D. Kirkpatrick wrote:
    > In article <211020070106053748%>,
    > Newbie <> wrote:
    >
    >> Forgive me if these are not the right groups but I am trying to squeeze
    >> a post in somehow: my dsl modem is dead and I need a new one.
    >>
    >> Problem is, without internet connection, I don't have any of my usual
    >> tools of learning or shopping!
    >>
    >> My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
    >> Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?
    >>
    >> If latter, what will be a good store to buy/order from, what is a best
    >> value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
    >> wireless.)
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > The question is whether the modem is actually "Dead". Unfortunately a
    > DSL line can fail or become less-capable of maintaining a connection
    > at the DSL speed and signal when a dial-up modem will still work.
    >
    > If you are adept at testing all parameters and can deduce the DSL
    > modem is dead, then OK, but a series of tests with and without micro
    > filters in the line, disconnecting phone devices, checking at the NID
    > will be called for.

    I think the first test is to disconnect the modem from the computer,
    power off the modem, power it on, and see if it will sync in a minute or
    two.

    My Bellsouth installation software opened a page in Safari:
    http://launchmodem/homeSumBS.htm

    I bookmarked it. It will let me talk to my modem whether or not the
    phone line is connected. I can have the modem do a self-test and get
    statistics about my DSL connection, for example.
    Bill Rider, Oct 21, 2007
  16. Newbie

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:06:16 -0400, Mike Rosenberg wrote
    (in article <1i6c9rt.ur5psg5a1h2uN%>):

    > J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:
    >
    >> Come on. It's not like they were <shiver> Circuit City </shiver>.

    > I don't know much about Circuit City, but my clients have told me enough
    > stories about their visits to CompUSA to make me conclude that:
    >
    > 1. Their employees don't know anything.

    True. (Mostly. There are one or two who know something.)

    > 2. They're trained, when asked a question the can't answer, to make up a
    > response.

    Also true. (Again, mostly.)

    So don't ask 'em anything. The main advantage CompUSA has is that it has a
    _lot_ of stuff all in one place. I go there to have a look at stuff before
    buying, and to check pricing. If the prices there are better than prices +
    shipping from some website, I buy there. (And, also, for certain items, such
    as large printers, it's nice to have somewhere to return it to that doesn't
    involve boxing it up and paying FedEx.) But I don't ask questions.

    Circuit City, now, that place is actively _dangerous_.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 21, 2007
  17. J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:

    > > I don't know much about Circuit City, but my clients have told me enough
    > > stories about their visits to CompUSA to make me conclude that:
    > >
    > > 1. Their employees don't know anything.

    > True. (Mostly. There are one or two who know something.)

    The CompUSA a couple of miles from here has one Apple employee, working
    in the Apple section there. _He_ is quite knowledgeable, but since he
    doesn't work for CompUSA I'm not counting him. The actual employees
    don't like him much.

    > > 2. They're trained, when asked a question the can't answer, to make up a
    > > response.
    > >

    > Also true. (Again, mostly.)
    >
    > So don't ask 'em anything.

    That's the problem. *I* don't have any reason to ask them anything, but
    the unsuspecting public doesn't know not to. The people going there for
    Mac-related stuff who aren't lucky enough to go during the one Apple
    employee's 40 hours a week are at their mercy.

    > The main advantage CompUSA has is that it has a
    > _lot_ of stuff all in one place. I go there to have a look at stuff before
    > buying, and to check pricing. If the prices there are better than prices +
    > shipping from some website, I buy there. (And, also, for certain items,
    > such as large printers, it's nice to have somewhere to return it to that
    > doesn't involve boxing it up and paying FedEx.) But I don't ask questions.

    I'm not sure I've ever seen anything at CompUSA that I can't get for a
    better price at Office Depot or Staples locally, and definitely online
    somewhere, and the office stores are much better about returns.

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007
  18. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Mike Rosenberg <> wrote:

    > Seriously? They don't let you talk to someone on the weekend?

    LOL you can certainly *talk* to somebody in some remote place
    somewhere, :) but are told to call back during business hours for this
    kind of issue.
    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007
  19. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    > > If you are adept at testing all parameters...

    > I think the first test is to disconnect the modem from the computer,
    > power off the modem, power it on, and see if it will sync in a minute or
    > two.

    I am not adept at all but during the last few weeks, as my connection
    was getting weaker and weaker, I learned all these steps. For a while
    it did work. But now nothing works: rebooting the modem, disconnecting
    and reconnecting, rebooting the computer, some combination of these.
    Only lights go on and off forever.

    The diagnosis that modem is dead was by AT's tech, although they never
    came here.

    Dial up does work, thank God I have an older computer so it does have
    an internal dialup modem. That's what I am using right now but this is
    extremely unpopular with family as it ties up the phone, one reason why
    got the dsl in the first place.
    Newbie, Oct 21, 2007
  20. Newbie <> wrote:

    > > Seriously? They don't let you talk to someone on the weekend?

    > LOL you can certainly *talk* to somebody in some remote place
    > somewhere, :) but are told to call back during business hours for this
    > kind of issue.

    In contrast, with Bellsouth one can handle this over the weekend.

    Mike Rosenberg, Oct 21, 2007