    http://tinypic.com/r/ejc37c/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/rm5lxd/6

    Many thanks

    DCA, Dec 1, 2009

  2. DCA

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Dec 1, 12:24 pm, DCA <> wrote:
    > Folks
    > I have totally dismantled and reassembled my Thinkpad T43 to replace a
    > dodgy power socket.
    > HOWEVER
    > I have a part left over and I can't for the life of me recall taking it
    > out (and so it probably fell out at some point when I flipped it over)
    > It is a smallish plastic moulding and looks like some sort of cable
    > support - perhaps?
    > It has number 67P1358 E126909 on it which a search either shows as a
    > completely different shape or it comes up with a palm rest moulding.
    >
    > Two shots of it here if anyone can try to recognise it and where it belongs?http://tinypic.com/r/ejc37c/6http://tinypic.com/r/rm5lxd/6
    >
    > Many thanks

    It looks like an escutcheon (slot cover). I would think you would
    notice a hole around the sides though.

    bob_v

    Bob Villa, Dec 2, 2009

  3. DCA

    DCA Guest

    Bob Villa wrote:
    > On Dec 1, 12:24 pm, DCA <> wrote:
    >> Folks
    >> I have totally dismantled and reassembled my Thinkpad T43 to replace a
    >> dodgy power socket.
    >> HOWEVER
    >> I have a part left over and I can't for the life of me recall taking it
    >> out (and so it probably fell out at some point when I flipped it over)
    >> It is a smallish plastic moulding and looks like some sort of cable
    >> support - perhaps?
    >> It has number 67P1358 E126909 on it which a search either shows as a
    >> completely different shape or it comes up with a palm rest moulding.
    >>
    >> Two shots of it here if anyone can try to recognise it and where it belongs?http://tinypic.com/r/ejc37c/6http://tinypic.com/r/rm5lxd/6
    >>
    >> Many thanks

    > It looks like an escutcheon (slot cover). I would think you would
    > notice a hole around the sides though.
    >
    > bob_v

    I thought that too - but no gaps and the pointy bit make a flap unlikely.

    DCA, Dec 2, 2009
  4. DCA

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Dec 2, 10:27 am, DCA <> wrote:
    > Bob Villa wrote:
    > > On Dec 1, 12:24 pm, DCA <> wrote:
    > >> Folks
    > >> I have totally dismantled and reassembled my Thinkpad T43 to replace a
    > >> dodgy power socket.
    > >> HOWEVER
    > >> I have a part left over and I can't for the life of me recall taking it
    > >> out (and so it probably fell out at some point when I flipped it over)
    > >> It is a smallish plastic moulding and looks like some sort of cable
    > >> support - perhaps?
    > >> It has number 67P1358 E126909 on it which a search either shows as a
    > >> completely different shape or it comes up with a palm rest moulding.

    > >> Two shots of it here if anyone can try to recognise it and where it belongs?http://tinypic.com/r/ejc37c/6http://tinypic.com/r/rm5lxd/6

    > >> Many thanks

    > > It looks like an escutcheon (slot cover).  I would think you would
    > > notice a hole around the sides though.

    > > bob_v

    > I thought that too - but no gaps and the pointy bit make a flap unlikely.

    If you really need to know, email Ben Myers. Do a Google groups search
    and find his email.

    bob_v

    Bob Villa, Dec 3, 2009
  5. DCA

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
    > Folks
    > I have totally dismantled and reassembled my Thinkpad T43 to replace a
    > dodgy power socket.
    > HOWEVER
    > I have a part left over and I can't for the life of me recall taking
    > it out (and so it probably fell out at some point when I flipped it over)
    > It is a smallish plastic moulding and looks like some sort of cable
    > support - perhaps?
    > It has number 67P1358 E126909 on it which a search either shows as a
    > completely different shape or it comes up with a palm rest moulding.
    >
    > Two shots of it here if anyone can try to recognise it and where it
    > belongs? http://tinypic.com/r/ejc37c/6
    > http://tinypic.com/r/rm5lxd/6
    >
    > Many thanks

    I have no idea. However the guys at forum.thinkpads surely will.

    If anything it looks like it could be a 'side' of the PC Card orifice, or
    maybe HDD bay. Just guessing though.

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2009
  6. DCA

    DCA Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
    >> Folks
    >> I have totally dismantled and reassembled my Thinkpad T43 to replace a
    >> dodgy power socket.
    >> HOWEVER
    >> I have a part left over and I can't for the life of me recall taking
    >> it out (and so it probably fell out at some point when I flipped it over)
    >> It is a smallish plastic moulding and looks like some sort of cable
    >> support - perhaps?
    >> It has number 67P1358 E126909 on it which a search either shows as a
    >> completely different shape or it comes up with a palm rest moulding.
    >>
    >> Two shots of it here if anyone can try to recognise it and where it
    >> belongs? http://tinypic.com/r/ejc37c/6
    >> http://tinypic.com/r/rm5lxd/6
    >>
    >> Many thanks

    > I have no idea. However the guys at forum.thinkpads surely will.
    >
    > If anything it looks like it could be a 'side' of the PC Card orifice, or
    > maybe HDD bay. Just guessing though.
    >
    > Good luck,

    Many thanks

    DCA, Dec 5, 2009
  7. DCA

    DCA Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
    >> Folks
    >> I have totally dismantled and reassembled my Thinkpad T43 to replace a
    >> dodgy power socket.
    >> HOWEVER
    >> I have a part left over and I can't for the life of me recall taking
    >> it out (and so it probably fell out at some point when I flipped it over)
    >> It is a smallish plastic moulding and looks like some sort of cable
    >> support - perhaps?
    >> It has number 67P1358 E126909 on it which a search either shows as a
    >> completely different shape or it comes up with a palm rest moulding.
    >>
    >> Two shots of it here if anyone can try to recognise it and where it
    >> belongs? http://tinypic.com/r/ejc37c/6
    >> http://tinypic.com/r/rm5lxd/6
    >>
    >> Many thanks

    > I have no idea. However the guys at forum.thinkpads surely will.
    >
    > If anything it looks like it could be a 'side' of the PC Card orifice, or
    > maybe HDD bay. Just guessing though.
    >
    > Good luck,

    Hey - and they certainly did identify and place it. Great forum.
    Cheers for the pointer

    DCA, Dec 6, 2009
  8. DCA

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
    >>> Folks
    >>> I have totally dismantled and reassembled my Thinkpad T43 to
    >>> replace a dodgy power socket.
    >>> HOWEVER
    >>> I have a part left over and I can't for the life of me recall taking
    >>> it out (and so it probably fell out at some point when I flipped it
    >>> over) It is a smallish plastic moulding and looks like some sort of
    >>> cable support - perhaps?
    >>> It has number 67P1358 E126909 on it which a search either shows as a
    >>> completely different shape or it comes up with a palm rest moulding.
    >>>
    >>> Two shots of it here if anyone can try to recognise it and where it
    >>> belongs? http://tinypic.com/r/ejc37c/6
    >>> http://tinypic.com/r/rm5lxd/6
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks

    >> I have no idea. However the guys at forum.thinkpads surely will.
    >>
    >> If anything it looks like it could be a 'side' of the PC Card
    >> orifice, or maybe HDD bay. Just guessing though.
    >>
    >> Good luck,

    > Hey - and they certainly did identify and place it. Great forum.
    > Cheers for the pointer.

    Yeah, it's an awesome forum, there are people there who know more about
    these older ThinkPads than anyone left at Lenovo now IBM have left them to
    their own devices (literally).

    Care to share? I'm curious as to what it was.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 7, 2009
  9. DCA

    DCA Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> I have no idea. However the guys at forum.thinkpads surely will.
    >>>
    >>> If anything it looks like it could be a 'side' of the PC Card
    >>> orifice, or maybe HDD bay. Just guessing though.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck,

    >> Hey - and they certainly did identify and place it. Great forum.
    >> Cheers for the pointer.

    > Yeah, it's an awesome forum, there are people there who know more about
    > these older ThinkPads than anyone left at Lenovo now IBM have left them to
    > their own devices (literally).
    >
    > Care to share? I'm curious as to what it was.

    Yes - sure:
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82787

    I stuck it back with a very small blob of super glue and bobs'ur'uncle
    (and luckily, it didn't mean disassembling again!

    Cheers
    David

    DCA, Dec 10, 2009
  10. DCA

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:

    >>> Hey - and they certainly did identify and place it. Great forum.
    >>> Cheers for the pointer.

    >> Yeah, it's an awesome forum, there are people there who know more
    >> about these older ThinkPads than anyone left at Lenovo now IBM have
    >> left them to their own devices (literally).
    >>
    >> Care to share? I'm curious as to what it was.

    > Yes - sure:
    > http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82787
    >
    > I stuck it back with a very small blob of super glue and bobs'ur'uncle
    > (and luckily, it didn't mean disassembling again!

    Cool, thanks.

    (I wanted to check if my hunch was right, that it was the 'side' of the PC
    Card (PCMCIA) slot recess. The clue for me was the fact that it has guide
    'strips' in the moulding that looked like they were part of a locating
    mechanism.)

    Great site that. I can 'waste' hours just reading threads. Then again I have
    2 x R40 (Pentium M version), 2 x R51 (one with a FlexView SXGA+ IPS display
    <sweet>) and this T60 (2007-7KU, FlexView of course. I'm hoping it'll last
    me a good long time. I shudder contemplating going back to using a TN <spit>
    LCD and/or a glossy widescreen display on a computer).
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 10, 2009
  11. DCA

    DCA Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Yeah, it's an awesome forum, there are people there who know more
    >>> about these older ThinkPads than anyone left at Lenovo now IBM have
    >>> left them to their own devices (literally).
    >>>
    >>> Care to share? I'm curious as to what it was.

    >> Yes - sure:
    >> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82787
    >>
    >> I stuck it back with a very small blob of super glue and bobs'ur'uncle
    >> (and luckily, it didn't mean disassembling again!

    > Cool, thanks.
    >
    > (I wanted to check if my hunch was right, that it was the 'side' of the PC
    > Card (PCMCIA) slot recess. The clue for me was the fact that it has guide
    > 'strips' in the moulding that looked like they were part of a locating
    > mechanism.)
    >
    > Great site that. I can 'waste' hours just reading threads. Then again I have
    > 2 x R40 (Pentium M version), 2 x R51 (one with a FlexView SXGA+ IPS display
    > <sweet>) and this T60 (2007-7KU, FlexView of course. I'm hoping it'll last
    > me a good long time. I shudder contemplating going back to using a TN <spit>
    > LCD and/or a glossy widescreen display on a computer).

    Thought my T43 was a P-M too. Am I wrong?

    DCA, Dec 13, 2009
  12. DCA

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Great site that. I can 'waste' hours just reading threads. Then
    >> again I have 2 x R40 (Pentium M version), 2 x R51 (one with a
    >> FlexView SXGA+ IPS display <sweet>) and this T60 (2007-7KU, FlexView
    >> of course. I'm hoping it'll last me a good long time. I shudder
    >> contemplating going back to using a TN <spit> LCD and/or a glossy
    >> widescreen display on a computer).

    > Thought my T43 was a P-M too. Am I wrong?

    No, you're right. All of the T4x range use various models of the P-M CPU.
    The T40 and T41 both used a 100MHz FSB and the Banias P-M which had 1MB L2
    cache. The T42 still had the 100MHz FSB but introduced the option of having
    either the Banias CPU or the new Dothan P-M which had more efficient
    microcode (around 10% faster clock-for-clock) and 2MB of L2 cache. The T43
    *only* used the Dothan and the FSB speed was increased to 133MHz (hence CPU
    speeds were no longer simple multiples of 100).

    The R40 was a 'transitionary' model. IBM had no sooner released it (using a
    Pentium 4-M) than Intel released the Pentium M (Banias) CPU. As a Banais
    1.5GHz could run rings around a P4-M 2.2GHz using half of the power (thus
    producing half of the heat) IBM responded by designing a new mainboard for
    the R40 and fitting the new CPUs. Therefore it's possible to have an R40
    that uses a P4-M (and not be upgradeable to a P-M) or an R40 that uses a
    P-M. I wouldn't thank you if you gave me one of the former (well, I would as
    I'm polite and could probably get a few bucks for it on ebay..) but the
    later is still a very useful machine.

    Unfortunately though the later R40s won't accept a Dothan P-M. Still,
    they're fast and useful with the Banias P-M.

    (Also, and I may be wrong... I believe the first, P4-M based R40s could only
    take a max of 1GB RAM whereas the P-M versions can take 2GB RAM.)

    The Pentium M was designed by the Intel Isreal team, based on the
    discontinued Pentium 3 Tualatin and was the forerunner of the 'Core' / Core2
    series. (The Pentium 4 was a developmental dead-end, made only because it
    would clock high and look good in the advertising. Intel were locked in
    battle with AMD at that point and AMD was looking good.)
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 18, 2009