    me choose a motherboard? I don't have a problem with integrated audio.

    Regards,

    Ken

    Ken, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Ken

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:21:52 -0400, Ken wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Someone recently gave me a AMD Athlon 64 3400+(512KB L2 cache, 2.20GHz,1600
    > FSB, socket 939) CPU and two 256MB sticks of PC-3200 RAM.
    >
    > I went to Abit's website and was looking for a motherboard for it. All of
    > the current motherboards have a 2GHz FSB. When I choose the correct CPU in
    > BIOS, will the FSB change to 1600MHz on these motherboards? Can someone help
    > me choose a motherboard? I don't have a problem with integrated audio.

    if it was a socket 939 cpu, then any socket 939 board will work. But all
    S939 cpu have a default 2000FSB. The S754 cpu's use a default 1600FSB. As
    for MB's, any of the newer ones should be fine. Just get one with the
    slots/features you want. You have a large choice.

    Wes Newell, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Ken

    Dylan C Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Someone recently gave me a AMD Athlon 64 3400+(512KB L2 cache, 2.20GHz,1600
    > FSB, socket 939) CPU and two 256MB sticks of PC-3200 RAM.
    >
    > I went to Abit's website and was looking for a motherboard for it. All of
    > the current motherboards have a 2GHz FSB. When I choose the correct CPU in
    > BIOS, will the FSB change to 1600MHz on these motherboards? Can someone help
    > me choose a motherboard? I don't have a problem with integrated audio.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ken

    Based on what I saw here
    (http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx), amd makes a
    3400+ only in socket 754. Also, all of the socket 939s listed use an HT
    bus of 2000MHz. THis contradicts the specs you give for your CPU. It
    might be helpful if you could post a part # right off the CPU. Should
    be something like ADA3400BOX.

    Also, you misunderstand the relationship between FSB and HT speeds. The
    FSB on recent AMD systems is still limited to 200MHz. The Double Data
    Rate (DDR) convention doubles the amount of data transmitted to an
    effective 400MHz. The HT or LDT Bus is the speed of the link between
    the CPU core and the integrated memory controller. This is usually a
    multiple of 4 or 5 times the system's FSB. For a socket 939 system this
    results in an HT speed of 5*200MHz = 1000MHz. Again, marketing idiots
    use the DDR convention and double that number to an *effective* HT speed
    of 2GHz.

    In any event, any board that the CPU fits in will suit your needs. The
    board's BIOS will allow you change the HT multiplier, if necessary.
    Whether that board is a 754 or a 939 depends on exactly which CPU you
    have.

    -Dylan C

    P.S. All of the above info is based on my experience with my AV8-based
    socket 939 system and info at AMD.com. If I've got something wrong or
    mislead the OP, please feel free to correct me.

    Dylan C, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Hello,

    You are correct. This CPU came out of an Emachines computer. Here is the
    part number: ADA3400DAA4BZ. It definitely plugs into a socket 939, but I
    don't think I will be able to find a motherboard for it. It's an OEM. AMD
    does not show this part number at it's website. I found it listed at
    Wikipedia though. Here is a link:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors

    Regards,

    Ken

    Ken, Sep 20, 2006
  5. Ken

    Dylan C Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > You are correct. This CPU came out of an Emachines computer. Here is the
    > part number: ADA3400DAA4BZ. It definitely plugs into a socket 939, but I
    > don't think I will be able to find a motherboard for it. It's an OEM. AMD
    > does not show this part number at it's website. I found it listed at
    > Wikipedia though. Here is a link:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ken

    This is what I saw from the link you posted:

    The Socket 939 3400+ (both Newcastle and Venice versions) is an
    OEM-only chip and was never directly available from AMD. It shares
    all Socket 939 3500+ characteristics with the exception of the 800
    MHz HyperTransport Link.

    This is interesting. Still, any socket 939 board should work. In the
    bios I can drop my HT multiplier to 4x and the HT becomes 1600 MHz. Of
    course, this has to be changed AFTER the pc has booted and you are in
    the BIOS. There is a chance that the board/CPU will not even boot into
    the BIOS if it defaults to a 2000MHz HT speed. Or, it might boot using
    failsafe settings and allow you to configure it manually. Hard to tell
    without trying.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Sep 21, 2006