    Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
    Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
    www.BusinessSources.net

    Nottoman, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Nottoman

    Io Guest

    Nottoman wrote:

    > Running a 900mhz Tbird w/512 MB PC133 RAM on Abit KT7A running Win2K
    > This mobo will handle much faster CPU's. My question is how fast do I have
    > to go to see a noticeable difference in running business apps, viewing
    > digital photos, handling multiple apps, etc. Gaming is not an issue.
    > is a 1.5 ghz chip going to give me a substantial increase?
    > Thnx

    Hmm, if your motherboard supports 133MHz FSB, it can *probably* take an Athlon
    XP 2400+. I'm not sure how far you'd have to go to notice a difference (it
    really depends on the program, though 1.5GHz probably wouldn't quite be a
    quantum leap), but I can tell you the hard drive's speed is a much bigger
    influence on launch times than the CPU. The difference from going from a
    5200rpm hdd to a 7200rpm hdd with my Athlon 850MHz was chaulk and cheese.

    What I'd do if it was my computer would be to flick the dip switches on the
    motherboard to take the front side bus to 105MHz.

    Io, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Nottoman

    Nottoman Guest

    Did you mean flip the dip switches....150mhz?

    Nottoman, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Nottoman

    Tod Guest

    Up to a 1400mhz will work fine.
    most people have been able to run even faster cpus on the older versions
    1.0-1.2
    On version 1.3, should be able to run up to 1600-1800mhz (AMD PR 2000-2200)
    Version number is listed on the side of the ISA slot (black colored)

    KT7A help page
    http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2

    Tod, Dec 18, 2003