Help! New computer abruptly shuts off.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave Z., Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Dave Z.

    Dave Z. Guest

    I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction. I just
    put together a new system and it is shutting off abrubtly for no
    apparent reason.

    The shutoff occurs during moderate to normal use, but has not yet
    happened while idling. Heavy use (gaming, encoding, etc.) does not
    increase the frequency of the event. System temps and voltages all seem
    well within acceptable ranges seconds before the event. After the
    event, the power light remains on, but fans and drives are stopped. I
    must switch off or unplug the system, and after about 5 seconds the
    power light will turn off. The system will immediately turn on when
    power is resupplied.

    What I've tried:

    * I run the CPU, memory, video, and all other components with the
    default settings and latest drivers; I do not overclock.

    * OS version is Windows XP Professional SP2 with latest updates.
    Antivirus is Grisoft AVG with latest updates.

    * System passes all Memtest86+ tests.

    2) I have stress tested the system several times using PassMark
    BurninTest 4.0 and could not force the shutdown to occur.

    3) All zones remain within recommended temperatures.

    Any ideas? Thanks much!
    --Dave Z.

    Below is my system:

    * Intel BOXD925XCVLK 925X P4 800 FSB LGA775 DDR2 ATX Motherboard
    * Intel Pentium 4 540J Processor Prescott 3.2GHz
    * 2 x Kingston HyperX KHX4300D2K2/1G 1GB Kit DDR2 533 Memory
    * Antec SX1040BII case with 400 watt power supply
    Cooling:
    - 1 Intel CPU fan
    - 3 Mad Dog 80mm 40CFM 35dB fans (2 rear, 1 front)
    - 1 Antec 80mm 2000RPM 17.3CFM 25dB fan (front, cooling drives)
    * Mitsumi 1.44 MB 3.5" floppy drive (black)
    * 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B300S0 300GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drives
    * Sony CRX320EBK DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo Drive
    * Sony DRU500AX Internal DVD+/- RW Drive
    * ATI Radeon X800XL Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR
    * Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI sound card
    * APC Back-UPS 650 UPS (w/ serial connection for auto-shutdown)

    Dave Z., Mar 8, 2005

  2. Dave Z.

    Dave Z. Guest

    Just as a followup: Antec recommended that I monitor the power supply
    voltage. Fair enough. I performed a stress test (ran Prime95 + PassMark
    BurninTest) and didn't see any problems with voltage or temp. I also
    couldn't make the system fail while monitoring, so I still don't know
    if there is a spike at the time of failure:

    High Low
    +12C 12.000 12.125
    +5V 5.078 5.104
    +3.3V 3.332 3.352
    CPU Core 1.235 1.306
    CPU I/O 1.497 1.497

    Proc Zone 55C
    System Zone 1 39C
    System Zone 2 52C

    A short time after the test, when the temperatures had dropped, the
    system froze. I'm getting the feeling it's a problem with the
    motherboard (bad trace?), but hope someone will have some input before
    I try sending parts back. Thanks!

    Dave Z., Mar 8, 2005

  3. Dave Z.

    DaveW Guest

    You do not specify the brand of your "400 Watt" power supply unit, but I
    have two observations.
    1) The number of hardware components in your system probably require MORE
    than just 400 Watts to drive when under load.
    2) Inexpensive/Off brand power supply units that are rated at "400 Watts"
    CANNOT actually consistently deliver anywhere near that amount of power.
    Those units are built with inexpensive parts and become unstable in their
    voltage outputs when the temperature of the case rises.
    Solution: I would recommend getting a NAME BRAND (Antec) power supply unit,
    rated at at least 480 REAL Watts.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Dave Z.

    Dave Z. Guest

    Thanks for the reply. The power supply is an Antec SL400. I spoke with
    an Intel technician today, and he felt that 400 watts should be
    sufficient, but you may be correct. I just finished testing the system
    with a different 400 watt power supply (a PowMax) and the system still
    failed.

    I guess I need to try a higher rated power supplies, and if that fails,
    send the motherboard to Intel for replacement.

    By the way, the Antec power supply voltages were dead on. The PowGen
    readings were somewhat scary, although still within acceptable ranges.

    Dave Z., Mar 9, 2005
  5. "Dave Z." <> wrote in message
    > I guess I need to try a higher rated power supplies, and if that fails,
    > send the motherboard to Intel for replacement.

    I think Dave W has you on the right track.

    Dave Z." <> wrote in message
    >I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction. I just
    > put together a new system and it is shutting off abrubtly for no
    > apparent reason.
    > The shutoff occurs during moderate to normal use, but has not yet
    > happened while idling. Heavy use (gaming, encoding, etc.) does not
    > increase the frequency of the event.

    Not sure how you define "moderate to normal" use, but if you have all
    your devices running, I estimate you could be drawing roughly 330
    watts or more, not including what the fans are pulling. So it is very
    possible you are overtaxing your supply.

    Anonymous Jack, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Dave Z.

    Dave Z. Guest

    Well, you were both right.

    Because the new computer is so close in configuration to my previous P4
    Northwood system, which runs happily on a 350 watt power supply, I
    figured that 400 watts would be sufficient. I picked up an Antec
    NeoPower 480 watt power supply and have not been able to reproduce the
    problem. Thanks so much for your time.

    --Dave

    Dave Z., Mar 10, 2005