Help - new PC doesn't have parallel port!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by OhioGuy, Aug 15, 2008.

  1. OhioGuy

    OhioGuy Guest

    I was just getting ready to connect my Samsung laser printer, when I
    noticed my new PC doesn't have a parallel port at all! The printer only has
    a parallel port cable.

    I guess my choices would be to either:

    1) buy a new printer
    2) buy an adapter cable that would let me hook in to
    a USB port
    3) buy a PCI card with parallel port on it

    I think #1 is out for now, because I'd rather keep using my printer until
    it dies - which might be 2-3 years or more from now. #3 might be cheapest,
    but would leave me with only 1 PCI slot available on the motherboard. If I
    install the TV Tuner card I'm thinking of, then I won't have any available.

    So can anyone recommend an adapter cable that would work for me, hopefully
    under $10 shipped? Thanks!
    OhioGuy, Aug 15, 2008

  2. OhioGuy

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:43:46 UTC, "OhioGuy" <> wrote:

    > I was just getting ready to connect my Samsung laser printer, when I
    > noticed my new PC doesn't have a parallel port at all! The printer only has
    > a parallel port cable.
    >
    > I guess my choices would be to either:
    >
    > 1) buy a new printer
    > 2) buy an adapter cable that would let me hook in to
    > a USB port
    > 3) buy a PCI card with parallel port on it

    Look on eBay for a print server. I got one with a heap of junk for about
    $10 on eBay a while ago. Small box, parallel printer socket and an
    ethernet socket. Plug into your network (or use a crossover cable if you
    have one) and there you are.

    --
    Bob Eager
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    Bob Eager, Aug 15, 2008

  3. OhioGuy

    Orggl Arhzn Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:43:46 -0400, "OhioGuy" <> wrote:

    > I was just getting ready to connect my Samsung laser printer, when I
    >noticed my new PC doesn't have a parallel port at all! The printer only has
    >a parallel port cable.
    >
    > I guess my choices would be to either:
    >
    >1) buy a new printer
    >2) buy an adapter cable that would let me hook in to
    > a USB port
    >3) buy a PCI card with parallel port on it
    >
    > I think #1 is out for now, because I'd rather keep using my printer until
    >it dies - which might be 2-3 years or more from now. #3 might be cheapest,
    >but would leave me with only 1 PCI slot available on the motherboard. If I
    >install the TV Tuner card I'm thinking of, then I won't have any available.
    >
    > So can anyone recommend an adapter cable that would work for me, hopefully
    >under $10 shipped? Thanks!

    Go to Dealextreme.com, they have every adapter and pci card you can
    think of, as well as fans and so on, all of which work and free
    shipping from HK. I just bought a fan for an old 9600XT and a
    pci/4Xsata card, all for about $15.00.

    Orggl

    Orggl Arhzn, Aug 16, 2008
  4. OhioGuy

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously OhioGuy <> wrote:
    > I was just getting ready to connect my Samsung laser printer, when I
    > noticed my new PC doesn't have a parallel port at all! The printer only has
    > a parallel port cable.

    > I guess my choices would be to either:

    > 1) buy a new printer
    > 2) buy an adapter cable that would let me hook in to
    > a USB port
    > 3) buy a PCI card with parallel port on it

    > I think #1 is out for now, because I'd rather keep using my printer until
    > it dies - which might be 2-3 years or more from now. #3 might be cheapest,
    > but would leave me with only 1 PCI slot available on the motherboard. If I
    > install the TV Tuner card I'm thinking of, then I won't have any available.

    > So can anyone recommend an adapter cable that would work for me, hopefully
    > under $10 shipped? Thanks!

    You will not get anything reliable for under $10 shipped.
    Generally the PCI card is the best option with the least
    risk of problems. The USB adapter is risky, but can work
    fine. Same for a print-server, as other here advise.

    Arno
    Arno Wagner, Aug 16, 2008