Help Please: Video driver, Windows 98/Me REBOOTING, Asus mainboard

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jeff Bernstein, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
    Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
    98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
    the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
    Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.

    I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
    after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
    mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
    tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.

    Any ideas?

    BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
    problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.

    My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
    card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
    latest (the latest is only for faster processors).

    Jeff

    1. Advertising

  2. Shep©

    Shep© Guest

    On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
    (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :

    >My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
    >Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
    >98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
    >the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
    >Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
    >
    >I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
    >after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
    >mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
    >tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
    >problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.
    >
    >My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
    >card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
    >latest (the latest is only for faster processors).
    >
    >Jeff

    What if you try the game in XP and right click on
    it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
    need Win98/ME?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

  3. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
    > (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :
    >
    > >My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
    > >Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
    > >98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
    > >the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
    > >Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
    > >
    > >I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
    > >after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
    > >mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
    > >tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
    > >
    > >Any ideas?
    > >
    > >BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
    > >problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.
    > >
    > >My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
    > >card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
    > >latest (the latest is only for faster processors).
    > >
    > >Jeff

    > What if you try the game in XP and right click on
    > it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
    > need Win98/ME?

    The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight sims.
    (back to WinME solved that problem though) :)

  4. Chimera

    Chimera Guest

    Jeff Bernstein wrote:
    > My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
    > Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
    > 98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
    > the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
    > Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
    >
    > I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
    > after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
    > mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
    > tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    No solutions, but it seems to be some software (driver?) conflict. I'd
    start with 98 as ME was a disaster OS. You'll have to be persistent, try
    each item separately, and probably suffer a number of reinstalls before you
    decide which patches/drivers/combinations are causing the conflicts. One
    thing Ive found with windows is that the patches for old problems often
    cause new problems. If you already run XP & RH, you probably only want this
    OS for your lego work, so don't bother patching the OS, just disable
    networking, use it for lego and when finished, switch back. The other
    question comes to mind is how much slower is lego in XP? Everything runs
    slower in XP, the OS is more hardware intensive.

  5. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:44:11 GMT, "Sunny" <> wrote:

    >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    >> On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
    >> (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :
    >>
    >> >My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
    >> >Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
    >> >98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
    >> >the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
    >> >Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
    >> >
    >> >I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
    >> >after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
    >> >mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
    >> >tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
    >> >
    >> >Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> >BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
    >> >problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.
    >> >
    >> >My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
    >> >card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
    >> >latest (the latest is only for faster processors).
    >> >
    >> >Jeff

    >> What if you try the game in XP and right click on
    >> it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
    >> need Win98/ME?

    >The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight sims.
    >(back to WinME solved that problem though) :)

    How much memory is in this system? More than 512MB?

  6. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    wrote:

    > >"Shep©" <> wrote in message

    > >> What if you try the game in XP and right click on
    > >> it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
    > >> need Win98/ME?

    > >The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight

    sims.
    > >(back to WinME solved that problem though) :)
    > >

    > How much memory is in this system? More than 512MB?

    Nope, 512Mb plus the 128Mb ASUS card

  7. Guest

    In article <>,
    daytripper <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:44:11 GMT, "Sunny" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > >> On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
    > >> (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :

    <snip>

    I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all

    <snip>

    > >> What if you try the game in XP and right click on
    > >> it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
    > >> need Win98/ME?

    > >The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight sims.
    > >(back to WinME solved that problem though) :)
    > >

    > How much memory is in this system? More than 512MB?

    256MB RAM.

  8. Guest

    In article <l6U7b.94041$>,
    "Chimera" <> wrote:

    > Jeff Bernstein wrote:
    > > My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
    > > Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
    > > 98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
    > > the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
    > > Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
    > >
    > > I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
    > > after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
    > > mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
    > > tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    > No solutions, but it seems to be some software (driver?) conflict. I'd
    > start with 98 as ME was a disaster OS. You'll have to be persistent, try
    > each item separately, and probably suffer a number of reinstalls before you
    > decide which patches/drivers/combinations are causing the conflicts. One
    > thing Ive found with windows is that the patches for old problems often
    > cause new problems. If you already run XP & RH, you probably only want this
    > OS for your lego work, so don't bother patching the OS, just disable
    > networking, use it for lego and when finished, switch back. The other
    > question comes to mind is how much slower is lego in XP? Everything runs
    > slower in XP, the OS is more hardware intensive.

    It's not so much a performance issue as it's a compatibility issue. The
    RIS program requires QuickTime 2 and 3 and I've had the program crash in
    XP.

    I'm able to use it in XP but I'd prefer the "stability" of ME. I
    switched to ME from 98 since I was experiencing similar problems in 98.
    It seems that whatever code base ME and 98 are built on they just don't
    want to work w/ this driver.

    Thanks.

  9. Chimera

    Chimera Guest

    > It's not so much a performance issue as it's a compatibility issue. The
    > RIS program requires QuickTime 2 and 3 and I've had the program crash in
    > XP.
    >
    > I'm able to use it in XP but I'd prefer the "stability" of ME. I
    > switched to ME from 98 since I was experiencing similar problems in 98.
    > It seems that whatever code base ME and 98 are built on they just don't
    > want to work w/ this driver.
    >
    > Thanks.

    You have to expect the companies to focus on the current platforms when they
    write the drivers. With any luck you'll figure out what the problem is

  10. Shep©

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:44:11 GMT, In this world we created "Sunny"
    <> wrote :

    >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    >> On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
    >> (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :
    >>
    >> >My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
    >> >Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
    >> >98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
    >> >the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
    >> >Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
    >> >
    >> >I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
    >> >after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
    >> >mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
    >> >tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
    >> >
    >> >Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> >BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
    >> >problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.
    >> >
    >> >My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
    >> >card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
    >> >latest (the latest is only for faster processors).
    >> >
    >> >Jeff

    >> What if you try the game in XP and right click on
    >> it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
    >> need Win98/ME?

    >The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight sims.
    >(back to WinME solved that problem though) :)

    Strange.I've not found a game that I use to not work in XP and that
    includes the old Glquake.I prefer Win98Se though.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,