Help! SB16 Live card Windows 98 to XP not working

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by Baldrick, Jul 24, 2005.

  1. Baldrick

    Baldrick Guest

    Firstly, my apologies for a lengthy posting but I've tried to include all
    'clues' in advance...

    My move to XP has not been very successful as there are no clear guidelines
    from Creative on how to get an SB16 Live! Value card working. AND, judging
    by the number of posting here and elsewhere I am not alone in this battle.
    (I guess it's in Creative's interest to promote new sound cards rather than
    keep their old runs running - sorry Creative, I don't wish to be rude to you
    but it's just very frustrating at times in this game.)

    I have attempted in to install my Live Value sound card which I used to have
    on my old Windows 98 PC onto a shiney new Dell 3000. As anticpated the
    installation does not complete successfully and I then ran
    LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe as directed by the installation process. This gets
    to 95% complete and freezes everytime I try it - this maybe the heart of the
    problem.

    There is another driver patch on Creative's website which states "This is an
    update patch, it is not a complete driver installation. You must have the
    previous LiveDrvPack.exe (SBLW-XPWEB-W3-US), posted July 17, 2002. in your
    system if you wish to use this patch." I could not find the July 17,2002
    patch but after much messing around I decided to also apply it.

    Before and after all this messing around if I try to run any of the SB
    programs I get:-

    - AudioHQ: Cannot initialze audio driver. Reinstall audio driver
    - Creative Surround Mixer: CtDevcon.dll has returned an error.
    - Creative Diagnostics: Hardware Detection = Pass, then the program freezes
    - Creative Diagnostics 2nd attempt (after aborting through Task Manager):
    Hardware Detection = Pass, then ALL others = Fail
    - Creative PlayCentre: PlayCentre could not find the necessary hardware or
    drivers to execute properly
    - Creative Rhythmania: No MIDI Out device detected.
    - Creative Keytar: Failed to initialze the MIDI device.

    Is there something else I should do or download to get my sound card fully
    operational under XP? If the answers are on Creative's web-site, my
    apologies for being so cynical ealier.

    Someone must have the definitive answer.

    thanks in advance

    Rick
    Baldrick, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Baldrick

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:17:56 GMT As Andoids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep
    and then "Baldrick" <> wrote :

    >Firstly, my apologies for a lengthy posting but I've tried to include all
    >'clues' in advance...
    >
    >My move to XP has not been very successful as there are no clear guidelines
    >from Creative on how to get an SB16 Live! Value card working. AND, judging
    >by the number of posting here and elsewhere I am not alone in this battle.
    >(I guess it's in Creative's interest to promote new sound cards rather than
    >keep their old runs running - sorry Creative, I don't wish to be rude to you
    >but it's just very frustrating at times in this game.)
    >
    >I have attempted in to install my Live Value sound card which I used to have
    >on my old Windows 98 PC onto a shiney new Dell 3000. As anticpated the
    >installation does not complete successfully and I then ran
    >LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe as directed by the installation process. This gets
    >to 95% complete and freezes everytime I try it - this maybe the heart of the
    >problem.
    >
    >There is another driver patch on Creative's website which states "This is an
    >update patch, it is not a complete driver installation. You must have the
    >previous LiveDrvPack.exe (SBLW-XPWEB-W3-US), posted July 17, 2002. in your
    >system if you wish to use this patch." I could not find the July 17,2002
    >patch but after much messing around I decided to also apply it.
    >
    >Before and after all this messing around if I try to run any of the SB
    >programs I get:-
    >
    >- AudioHQ: Cannot initialze audio driver. Reinstall audio driver
    >- Creative Surround Mixer: CtDevcon.dll has returned an error.
    >- Creative Diagnostics: Hardware Detection = Pass, then the program freezes
    >- Creative Diagnostics 2nd attempt (after aborting through Task Manager):
    >Hardware Detection = Pass, then ALL others = Fail
    >- Creative PlayCentre: PlayCentre could not find the necessary hardware or
    >drivers to execute properly
    >- Creative Rhythmania: No MIDI Out device detected.
    >- Creative Keytar: Failed to initialze the MIDI device.
    >
    >Is there something else I should do or download to get my sound card fully
    >operational under XP? If the answers are on Creative's web-site, my
    >apologies for being so cynical ealier.
    >
    >Someone must have the definitive answer.
    >
    >thanks in advance
    >
    >Rick

    Go to the,"Dell" site and se if you can get some drivers from
    there.Dell actually re-code and make better drivers for SB products
    they use from SB :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, Jul 24, 2005