    DVD. The DVD is readable - i.e. I can see the drive and files on a DVD
    or CD but I can't get it to boot from the drive.

    I want to install SuSE 9.3 from a DVD on this machine.
    Lenny Bruce, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Lenny Bruce

    Ben Myers Guest

    Is the SuSE 9.3 DVD a bootable one made from an ISO image? If it is not
    bootable, it will not boot, same as a CD. Does it boot from a bootable CD suhc
    as the recovery CD that came with the computer? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 5, 2005

  3. Lenny Bruce

    Tom Scales Guest

    Did you jumper the drive as Cable Select?

    Did you make sure it is AUTO in the BIOS (it will still work if it is OFF,
    but won't boot).

    Did you check the boot order to ensure it is above the hard drive?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 5, 2005
  4. Lenny Bruce

    Lenny Bruce Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > Did you jumper the drive as Cable Select?

    Cable Select

    > Did you make sure it is AUTO in the BIOS (it will still work if it is OFF,
    > but won't boot).

    yes
    > Did you check the boot order to ensure it is above the hard drive?

    There is no option in the BIOS boot order. The BIOS doesn't recognize a DVD.

    Lenny Bruce, Jul 5, 2005
  5. Lenny Bruce

    Lenny Bruce Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Is the SuSE 9.3 DVD a bootable one made from an ISO image? If it is not
    > bootable, it will not boot, same as a CD. Does it boot from a bootable CD suhc
    > as the recovery CD that came with the computer? ... Ben Myers

    I downloaded the ISO and burned a DVD. When I view the DVD drive it
    shows the separate files, including cloop, a shell script weighing in at
    1.3gigs.
    Lenny Bruce, Jul 5, 2005
  6. Lenny Bruce

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, the BIOS will consider it a CD, but that's OK. Do you have two optical
    drives? If so, the DVD has to be on the end of the cable (and therefore the
    Master) to boot.

    Tom Scales, Jul 6, 2005