Help: underclock and undervolt Mobile Duron - Morgan core

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Noriek, Mar 8, 2010.

  1. Noriek

    Noriek Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a Sony Vaio pcg-fx501 laptop (about year 2000/2001 I think) which
    sports a Mobile Duron, 1Ghz, Morgan core.

    It runs very hot so I'm looking to underclock and or, at least, undervolt it
    slightly.

    There is, as far as I can see, no facility in the bios for this so I have to
    go software method but I'm struggling.

    I've installed Notebook Hardware Control but i'm both not sure what I'm
    doing and not sure that the software functions on my machine.

    In addition, whilst trying to underclock I've been confused by the stepping
    settings. The laptop usually steps between 500mhz when idle/under light load
    to a max of 1Ghz under load with no itermediate steps. Is it possible then
    to lock the frequency at 800mhz, for example, or am I limited to either
    500mhz or a Gig?

    Any insights?
    Noriek, Mar 8, 2010

  2. Noriek

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: underclock and undervolt Mobile Duron - Morgan core

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Noriek wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a Sony Vaio pcg-fx501 laptop (about year 2000/2001 I think)
    > which sports a Mobile Duron, 1Ghz, Morgan core.
    >
    > It runs very hot so I'm looking to underclock and or, at least,
    > undervolt it slightly.
    >
    > There is, as far as I can see, no facility in the bios for this so I
    > have to go software method but I'm struggling.
    >
    > I've installed Notebook Hardware Control but i'm both not sure what
    > I'm doing and not sure that the software functions on my machine.
    >
    > In addition, whilst trying to underclock I've been confused by the
    > stepping settings. The laptop usually steps between 500mhz when
    > idle/under light load to a max of 1Ghz under load with no itermediate
    > steps. Is it possible then to lock the frequency at 800mhz, for
    > example, or am I limited to either 500mhz or a Gig?
    >
    > Any insights?

    Try comp.sys.laptops or perhaps Google?

    I use NHC on all of my laptops but they're either Core2Duo's or Pentium M's.
    I have no experience with Mobile Durons.

    I have a *really* sweet little 1.5GHz Pentium M 'Dothan' (2MB L2 cache) that
    was supposed to run at 1.34V at 1.5GHz but using NHC it'll run Prime95 all
    day and night at less than 0.95V. I shit you not! The fan never kicks in and
    the CPU on-die temp doesn't get out of the 40's Celcius (in a ~28 Celcius
    room).

    I bought that machine as a 'fixer-upper' to repair and sell on but I can't
    bear to part with it now. It has twice the processing power of an Atom-based
    netbook and probably uses not much more juice (except for the 15" screen).
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 9, 2010