Help With Abit NF7-S Motherboard

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Louis Bybee, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. Louis Bybee

    Louis Bybee Guest

    I am having a bit of trouble with the installation of a Abit NF7-S
    Motherboard with an AMD Athalon XP 2400+ CPU. The motherboard was working ok
    in a different computer, but I wanted to upgrade to a larger case (Antec
    SX835II). In the new case I've installed a new hard drive, video card,
    floppy drive, CD-ROM Drive, memory, etc.

    Installing Windows XPPro I get to the point where it is near Fdisking the
    new drive, and everything shuts down with a two tone alarm sounding.
    Normally there are two very bright LEDs, one red and one green, illuminated
    on the motherboard near the CMOS Battery. When the system shuts down just
    the red LED is on.

    What are the functions of the two LEDs?

    As fussy as AMD chips are purported to be regarding power supplies I've
    tried removing as much load as possible (no change in symptoms), a different
    HD (no change in symptoms). If I had an idea what the LEDs were for it might
    help in trouble shooting my issue.

    Thanks for any suggestions you may be able to provide.

    Louis--
    Remove the two fish in address to respond
    Louis Bybee, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Louis Bybee

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >What are the functions of the two LEDs?

    Red is to show the motherboard is getting power. Green means the board is
    functioning correctly I believe.

    This two tone alarm if it has a high low tone then repeats is a CPU temperature
    warning alarm.

    I would turn the system on and go right into the bios and watch the
    temperatures. If the CPU temp keeps rising over 50C then you most likely have a
    problem with how the CPU heatsink or fan is installed.
    It probably is the heatsink or fan and the system is shutting down
    automatically to protect the CPU from damage.
    PRIVATE1964, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Louis Bybee

    Jef Norton Guest

    "Louis Bybee" <> wrote in message
    |I am having a bit of trouble with the installation of a Abit NF7-S
    | Motherboard with an AMD Athalon XP 2400+ CPU. The motherboard was working
    ok
    | in a different computer, but I wanted to upgrade to a larger case (Antec
    | SX835II). In the new case I've installed a new hard drive, video card,
    | floppy drive, CD-ROM Drive, memory, etc.
    |
    | Installing Windows XPPro I get to the point where it is near Fdisking the
    | new drive, and everything shuts down with a two tone alarm sounding.
    | Normally there are two very bright LEDs, one red and one green,
    illuminated
    | on the motherboard near the CMOS Battery. When the system shuts down just
    | the red LED is on.
    |
    | What are the functions of the two LEDs?
    |
    | As fussy as AMD chips are purported to be regarding power supplies I've
    | tried removing as much load as possible (no change in symptoms), a
    different
    | HD (no change in symptoms). If I had an idea what the LEDs were for it
    might
    | help in trouble shooting my issue.
    |
    | Thanks for any suggestions you may be able to provide.
    |
    | Louis--
    | *********************************************
    | Remove the two fish in address to respond

    Hi Louis -

    The two-tone siren indicates that your board is overheating or your voltages
    are out of specification.

    Revisit your CPU cooling. Did you use thermal compound between your CPU and
    HSF? Is the HSF on the right way 'round? If there was a thermal pad on
    your HSF, did you remember to remove the plastic covering? Is your CPU fan
    plugged into the CPUFAN1 header on the motherboard?

    You also need a good quality PSU to power a NF7 board. Name-brand 400 watts
    and more is generally recommended. Generic and low-power PSU's will
    generally give you stability problems.

    Jef

    Basic Beep Codes for ABIT AWARD BIOS Motherboards

    No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a
    defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a
    dead-on-arrival board

    One beep - board is working fine

    One long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or
    missing CPU

    1 short (Beep) System booting is normally

    2 short (Beep) CMOS setting error

    1 long - 1 short (Beep) DRAM ERROR

    1 long - 2 short (Beep) Display card or monitor connected error

    1 long - 3 short (Beep) Keyboard Error

    1 long - 9 short (Beep) ROM Error

    Long (Beep) continuous - DRAM isn't inserted correctly

    Short (Beep) continuous - POWER supply has a problem

    A two-tone siren - generally caused by overheating or out of specification
    voltages

    Four beeps then machine shuts down - this is because this version of the
    BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on
    the fan header. Make sure you attach a fan to the FAN1 or FAN4 header or
    clear CMOS to reset to default (no checking).
    Jef Norton, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Louis Bybee

    Louis Bybee Guest

    "Jef Norton" <> wrote in message
    > "Louis Bybee" <> wrote in message
    > |I am having a bit of trouble with the installation of a Abit NF7-S
    > | Motherboard with an AMD Athalon XP 2400+ CPU. The motherboard was

    working
    > ok
    > | in a different computer, but I wanted to upgrade to a larger case (Antec
    > | SX835II). In the new case I've installed a new hard drive, video card,
    > | floppy drive, CD-ROM Drive, memory, etc.
    > |
    > | Installing Windows XPPro I get to the point where it is near Fdisking

    the
    > | new drive, and everything shuts down with a two tone alarm sounding.
    > | Normally there are two very bright LEDs, one red and one green,
    > illuminated
    > | on the motherboard near the CMOS Battery. When the system shuts down

    just
    > | the red LED is on.
    > |
    > | What are the functions of the two LEDs?
    > |
    > | As fussy as AMD chips are purported to be regarding power supplies I've
    > | tried removing as much load as possible (no change in symptoms), a
    > different
    > | HD (no change in symptoms). If I had an idea what the LEDs were for it
    > might
    > | help in trouble shooting my issue.
    > |
    > | Thanks for any suggestions you may be able to provide.
    > |
    > | Louis--
    > | *********************************************
    > | Remove the two fish in address to respond
    > |

    > Hi Louis -
    >
    > The two-tone siren indicates that your board is overheating or your

    voltages
    > are out of specification.
    >
    > Revisit your CPU cooling. Did you use thermal compound between your CPU

    and
    > HSF? Is the HSF on the right way 'round? If there was a thermal pad on
    > your HSF, did you remember to remove the plastic covering? Is your CPU

    fan
    > plugged into the CPUFAN1 header on the motherboard?
    >
    > You also need a good quality PSU to power a NF7 board. Name-brand 400

    watts
    > and more is generally recommended. Generic and low-power PSU's will
    > generally give you stability problems.
    >
    > Jef

    Well you were right. I had the heat sink mounted in a reversed manner, and
    probably not squarely on at that.

    I now have a rather strange occurrence with my install of XPPro. When I
    power it up I can interrupt the memory test if desired by pressing <ESC>,
    the OS seems to work ok. When I power it down and up again I can't interrupt
    the memory test, the mouse arrow is locked up, and no input is accepted from
    the keyboard. If I press the power button on the case it shuts down after a
    short delay, and all is well for the next power up and boot. Then the next
    power up is defective. It's functioning almost as if it were a flip-flop
    chip :eek:).

    If I interrupt the memory test on what would otherwise be a successful boot,
    and then press the power button on the case I can repeatedly, and
    successfully interrupt the memory test so what ever is causing this anomaly
    must occur during the loading of the operating system.

    Any guesses as to what would cause my issue?

    Thank you.

    Louis Bybee, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Louis Bybee

    Louis Bybee Guest

    Louis Bybee, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Louis Bybee

    | Well you were right. I had the heat sink mounted in a reversed manner, and
    | probably not squarely on at that.
    |
    | I now have a rather strange occurrence with my install of XPPro. When I
    | power it up I can interrupt the memory test if desired by pressing <ESC>,
    | the OS seems to work ok. When I power it down and up again I can't
    interrupt
    | the memory test, the mouse arrow is locked up, and no input is accepted
    from
    | the keyboard. If I press the power button on the case it shuts down after
    | short delay, and all is well for the next power up and boot. Then the next
    | power up is defective. It's functioning almost as if it were a flip-flop
    | chip :eek:).
    |
    | If I interrupt the memory test on what would otherwise be a successful
    boot,
    | and then press the power button on the case I can repeatedly, and
    | successfully interrupt the memory test so what ever is causing this
    anomaly
    | must occur during the loading of the operating system.
    |
    | Any guesses as to what would cause my issue?
    |
    | Thank you.
    |
    | Louis--
    | *********************************************
    | Remove the two fish in address to respond

    Hi Louis -

    Could be a BIOS issue.

    First... you need to determine if you have a NF7-S revision 1.x or revision
    2.0 board. This is CRITICALLY important because if you flash the BIOS for
    the wrong revision board, your system will be dead and you'll need either a
    new BIOS chip or you'll have to have your existing chip reflashed.

    Verify the revision of your board by opening up your rig and looking at the
    model sticker (usually on the Parallel port connector... but sometimes on
    the side of the last PCI slot - in which case you'll need a small mirror to
    read it).

    To verify the BIOS version currently flashed to your board, look at the last
    two characters of the last line on the POST screen. This is a two-digit
    code that corresponds to the BIOS version. For example, if you see
    xxxxxx-21, your BIOS version is 2.1.

    For revision 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 boards, this issue was addressed in BIOS version
    2.5. Note that the BIOS files for the revision 1.x boards are named
    NF7_xx.BIN, with the self-extracting distribution package named NF7xx.EXE
    (xx is the BIOS version number, minus the decimal). The latest version is
    2.8, which can be downloaded at the following link:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=6

    For revision 2.0 boards, this issue was addressed in BIOS version 2.4. Note
    that the BIOS files for the revision 2.0 boards are named NF7D_xx.BIN, with
    the self-extracting distribution package named NF7Dxx.EXE. The latest
    version is 2.6, which can be downloaded at the following link:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=124

    Jef
    Jef Norton, Oct 18, 2004
  7. Louis Bybee

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >When I
    >power it up I can interrupt the memory test if desired by pressing <ESC>.

    At this point the OS is not yet loaded. I don't understand what you mean by
    memory test I assume you mean you are not using the quick boot option in the
    bios and your system memory is being checked.

    >When I power it down and up again I can't interrupt
    >the memory test, the mouse arrow is locked up, and no input is accepted from
    >the keyboard. If I press the power button on the case it shuts down after a
    >short delay,

    When you say power it down do you mean you click start and then click Turn off
    computer from within Windows and the computer shuts down automatically and then
    you turn it back on?
    If Windows is not loaded the mouse will not work. Are the mouse and keyboard
    USB?
    Pressing the power button and having a short delay is normal. When you press
    the button it waits for an OK from the OS before it shuts the power off. It
    doesn't directly shut off the power. The power supply switch bypasses the
    motherboard and shuts off the power directly.

    >If I interrupt the memory test on what would otherwise be a successful boot,
    >and then press the power button on the case I can repeatedly, and
    >successfully interrupt the memory test so what ever is causing this anomaly
    >must occur during the loading of the operating system.

    If your interrupting the bios memory test Windows has not even loaded yet. Why
    would you interrupt the memory test if it is gonna be a successful boot? If
    your pressing the power button during the test it would interrupt the memory
    test am I missing something here?
    PRIVATE1964, Oct 18, 2004
  8. Louis Bybee

    Jef Norton Guest

    "PRIVATE1964" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    | If your interrupting the bios memory test Windows has not even loaded yet.
    Why
    | would you interrupt the memory test if it is gonna be a successful boot?
    If
    | your pressing the power button during the test it would interrupt the
    memory
    | test am I missing something here?

    Hi PRIVATE1964 -

    I think Louis is describing how he's observing the phenomena that presented
    itself with BIOS versions prior to 2.5 (revision 1.x) and 2.4 (revision 2.0)
    where certain combinations of keyboard and mouse would only work on every
    other boot.

    In his reply to you, I get this inkling from him here:

    | When I power it up I can interrupt the memory test if desired
    | by pressing <ESC>. The OS seems to work ok. When I power
    | it down and up again I can't interrupt the memory test, the mouse
    | arrow is locked up, and no input is accepted from the keyboard."

    Hopefully the solution for him is as simple as flashing to the latest BIOS
    version for his board.

    I've encountered this same problem a couple of times when dealing with a USB
    mouse and PS/2 keyboard (in one case) and a PS/2 mouse and USB keyboard (in
    the other). Both were corrected by a BIOS update.

    Jef
    Jef Norton, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Louis Bybee

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >Hi PRIVATE1964 -
    >
    >I think Louis is describing how he's observing the phenomena that presented
    >itself with BIOS versions prior to 2.5 (revision 1.x) and 2.4 (revision 2.0)
    >where certain combinations of keyboard and mouse would only work on every
    >other boot.
    >
    >In his reply to you, I get this inkling from him here:

    His description of the problem has me totally baffled....lol.

    From you I am getting that sometimes a certain combination of keyboard and
    mouse will work correctly and other times it will not?

    You seem to have a better handle on his problem so I will not complicate the
    matter in trying to help any further. Good Luck!
    PRIVATE1964, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Louis Bybee

    Jef Norton Guest

    | His description of the problem has me totally baffled....lol.
    |
    | From you I am getting that sometimes a certain combination of keyboard and
    | mouse will work correctly and other times it will not?
    |
    | You seem to have a better handle on his problem so I will not complicate
    the
    | matter in trying to help any further. Good Luck!

    Gosh... thanks... The weight of the world on my sorry shoulders!

    I've built a bunch of NF7-based computers and ran across a couple that were
    real head-scratchers. I probably would have had the same lack of clarity
    describing the problem because it would present itself with no mouse and no
    keyboard *every other boot* and people would probably have thought me
    nuts... you'd think either it works or it don't... but not every other time.

    That doesn't mean to say that people don't think me nuts anyway. ;-)

    Apparently the problem manifests itself only with certain combinations of
    mouse and keyboard - probably specific brands. I never nailed it down
    before the BIOS fixes that addressed it were released.

    Now where was I with regard to other off-topic rattle... like TomG's Anger
    Management issues... where he's actually able to sleep at night.

    Jef
    Jef Norton, Oct 18, 2004
  11. Louis Bybee

    Louis Bybee Guest

    "Jef Norton" <> wrote in message
    > "PRIVATE1964" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > <snip>
    > |
    > | If your interrupting the bios memory test Windows has not even loaded

    yet.
    > Why
    > | would you interrupt the memory test if it is gonna be a successful boot?
    > If
    > | your pressing the power button during the test it would interrupt the
    > memory
    > | test am I missing something here?
    >

    > Hi PRIVATE1964 -
    >
    > I think Louis is describing how he's observing the phenomena that

    presented
    > itself with BIOS versions prior to 2.5 (revision 1.x) and 2.4 (revision

    2.0)
    > where certain combinations of keyboard and mouse would only work on every
    > other boot.
    >
    > In his reply to you, I get this inkling from him here:
    >
    > | When I power it up I can interrupt the memory test if desired
    > | by pressing <ESC>. The OS seems to work ok. When I power
    > | it down and up again I can't interrupt the memory test, the mouse
    > | arrow is locked up, and no input is accepted from the keyboard."
    >
    > Hopefully the solution for him is as simple as flashing to the latest BIOS
    > version for his board.

    Your take was correct. I didn't have the quick boot option enabled. The
    interruption I referred to was the memory test that occurs when the boot
    first starts. I usually wouldn't be inclined to interrupt it, but it was
    more an attempt to quantify the exact parameters of my issue. The fact that
    the problem only occured after the operating system started to load (after
    the memory test had normally concluded) indicated to me that it was unlikely
    to be a BIOS only issue.

    After you presented the link I visited it, and the information was all
    there. I was in fact using a Microsoft Wheel Mouse. I verified the exact MB
    Version I had and downloaded the approprite flash file. I also printed the
    instructions. Following the instructions precisely I flashed the BIOS, and
    the process reported successful completion. After shorting the CMOS Pins the
    boot process stopped when the screen displayed "cmos checksum
    error -defaults loaded". At that point the computer is locked up, and wont
    progress any further regardless of any key combinations pressed.

    What an adventure! I guess I'll have to secure another BIOS Chip now. :-[

    Thanks for all the help. At least I know what was wrong.

    Louis Bybee, Oct 19, 2004
  12. Louis Bybee

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >After shorting the CMOS Pins

    There really isn't any need to short the cmos pins on the NF7-S after flashing
    the bios. The cmos gets cleared with the flash if your using the runme.bat file
    from the Abit website.

    >boot process stopped when the screen displayed "cmos checksum
    >error -defaults loaded".

    That's normal after a flash. You need to enter the bios and input all the
    settings again.

    >At that point the computer is locked up, and wont
    >progress any further regardless of any key combinations pressed.
    >
    >What an adventure! I guess I'll have to secure another BIOS Chip now.

    If your getting an error message such as "cmos checksum error -defaults loaded"
    there isn't anything wrong with the bios chip. You just need to enter the bios
    and input all the proper settings for your computer such as CPU, memory...etc.
    PRIVATE1964, Oct 19, 2004
  13. Louis Bybee

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >Gosh... thanks... The weight of the world on my sorry shoulders!

    I just couldn't stay away. He sounds like he needs a lot of help and at this
    point I'm not so sure that a bios update alone will help him with all his
    problems.
    PRIVATE1964, Oct 19, 2004
  14. Louis Bybee

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Be sure your resetting the cmos correctly. If it reported success, it
    should be working.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Oct 19, 2004
  15. Louis Bybee

    Jef Norton Guest

    | I just couldn't stay away. He sounds like he needs a lot of help and at
    this
    | point I'm not so sure that a bios update alone will help him with all his
    | problems.

    No problem. Your answer was exactly the same as mine would have been (and I
    got to snooze on the couch all the way through it!).

    Jef
    Jef Norton, Oct 19, 2004
  16. Louis Bybee

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >No problem. Your answer was exactly the same as mine would have been (and I
    >got to snooze on the couch all the way through it!).
    >
    >Jef

    lmao!
    PRIVATE1964, Oct 19, 2004
  17. Louis Bybee

    > >After shorting the CMOS Pins

    > There really isn't any need to short the cmos pins on the NF7-S after

    flashing
    > the bios. The cmos gets cleared with the flash if your using the runme.bat

    file
    > from the Abit website.
    >
    > >boot process stopped when the screen displayed "cmos checksum
    > >error -defaults loaded".

    > That's normal after a flash. You need to enter the bios and input all the
    > settings again.
    >
    > >At that point the computer is locked up, and wont
    > >progress any further regardless of any key combinations pressed.
    > >
    > >What an adventure! I guess I'll have to secure another BIOS Chip now.

    > If your getting an error message such as "cmos checksum error -defaults

    loaded"
    > there isn't anything wrong with the bios chip. You just need to enter the

    bios
    > and input all the proper settings for your computer such as CPU,

    memory...etc.

    At the point where the message appears the system is locked up, and wont
    accept any input from the keyboard to enter the BIOS, and change any
    settings. That was why I suspect I will have to acquire a new BIOS chip, or
    manually flash the old one.

    Thank you.

    Louis
    Louis Bybee, Oct 19, 2004
  18. Louis Bybee

    Louis Bybee Guest

    Just as the message is displayed on the screen the system is locked up, and
    wont accept any input to enter the BIOS to change settings.

    I will try manually flashing the chip to see if that will take care of
    things.

    The computer worked fine with the exception of boot failure on odd boot
    numbers before the BIOS flash. even boot numbers worked fine. The BIOS flash
    was purported to remedy that.

    Louis Bybee, Oct 19, 2004
  19. Louis Bybee

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >At the point where the message appears the system is locked up, and wont
    >accept any input from the keyboard to enter the BIOS, and change any
    >settings. That was why I suspect I will have to acquire a new BIOS chip, or
    >manually flash the old one.
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Louis

    There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the bios, you just have to get in
    there to change the settings. I don't know what key your pressing to get in
    there, but I use the DEL key. You might want to try keep pressing it over and
    over again very quickly as you turn the computer on.

    Try clearing the CMOS with the jumper again. Un-plug the computer and move the
    jumper for a minute or so to the proper pins. I don't think that will fix the
    problem but it's worth a try.

    If your using a USB keyboard try switching to a PS2 keyboard if you have one
    which might let you enter the bios. Some USB keyboards can cause trouble
    without having the USB drivers loaded. Most older motherboards would not even
    recognize USB keyboards unless drivers were loaded by the OS.

    Another thing you can try is shut off the computer with the power switch on the
    power supply, turn that switch back on and then hold down the "insert" key as
    you turn the computer back on from the front switch. Keep it pressed down this
    I believe will load safe default settings.
    PRIVATE1964, Oct 19, 2004
  20. Louis Bybee

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >Just as the message is displayed on the screen the system is locked up, and
    >wont accept any input to enter the BIOS to change settings.
    >
    >I will try manually flashing the chip to see if that will take care of
    >things.
    >
    >The computer worked fine with the exception of boot failure on odd boot
    >numbers before the BIOS flash. even boot numbers worked fine. The BIOS flash
    >was purported to remedy that.
    >
    >Louis--
    >Remove the two fish in address to respond

    There is nothing wrong with the bios. You might just want to double check that
    you have the latest version bios for your NF7-S.

    ***Make sure you have correct version bios which goes with the revision of your
    NF7-S or the bios be ruined.

    I don't recall if you posted which revision NF7-S you have or I would give you
    a link for the proper bios.
    PRIVATE1964, Oct 19, 2004