Help with CPU/memory for Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by mcbill20@yahoo.com, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I recently ordered a set of parts from Newegg to build a new system.
    Unfortunately, I may not have researched the parts carefully enough. I
    first chose the GA-MA770-DS3 motherboard. I then chose a processor and
    memory based on the specifications page for this motherboard at
    Newegg. The processor I got is the "AMD Opteron 1218 Santa Ana 2.6GHz
    Socket AM2 103W Dual-Core Processor Model OSA1218CSBOX - Retail" and
    the memory is " Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2
    SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
    BL2KIT12864AL1065 - Retail"

    My problem is that now I am not sure if this processor and memory will
    be compatible. When I went to the Gigabyte website to get more
    information on this board I found a note at the bottom that says "*
    Whether 1066 MHz memory speed is supported depends on the CPU being
    used, please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support
    information. "

    When I clicked on the link, it lists certain specific memory DIMM's
    that are know to work but nothing about which CPU/memory combination
    will/will not work. I also clicked on the CPU list and found that the
    CPU that I ordered (Opteron 1218) is not on the list but the Opteron
    1210 (a lower end CPU) is listed. Here are the CPU specs. I only found
    two differences:

    Opteron 1210 Opteron 1218
    -------------------- -------------------
    Freq. 1.8GHz 2.6GHz
    HT 1000MHz 1000MHz
    IMCS *(1) 1800MHz 2600MHz
    Power 103w 103w
    *(1) Integrated Memory Controller Speed

    Any thoughts? I don't want to fry the CPU and have to buy a new one
    and I don't want to build a machine that is prone to BSOD's.

    Thanks,
    Bill

    , Feb 27, 2008

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I recently ordered a set of parts from Newegg to build a new system.
    > Unfortunately, I may not have researched the parts carefully enough. I
    > first chose the GA-MA770-DS3 motherboard. I then chose a processor and
    > memory based on the specifications page for this motherboard at
    > Newegg. The processor I got is the "AMD Opteron 1218 Santa Ana 2.6GHz
    > Socket AM2 103W Dual-Core Processor Model OSA1218CSBOX - Retail" and
    > the memory is " Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2
    > SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
    > BL2KIT12864AL1065 - Retail"
    >
    > My problem is that now I am not sure if this processor and memory will
    > be compatible. When I went to the Gigabyte website to get more
    > information on this board I found a note at the bottom that says "*
    > Whether 1066 MHz memory speed is supported depends on the CPU being
    > used, please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support
    > information. "
    >
    > When I clicked on the link, it lists certain specific memory DIMM's
    > that are know to work but nothing about which CPU/memory combination
    > will/will not work. I also clicked on the CPU list and found that the
    > CPU that I ordered (Opteron 1218) is not on the list but the Opteron
    > 1210 (a lower end CPU) is listed. Here are the CPU specs. I only found
    > two differences:
    >
    > Opteron 1210 Opteron 1218
    > -------------------- -------------------
    > Freq. 1.8GHz 2.6GHz
    > HT 1000MHz 1000MHz
    > IMCS *(1) 1800MHz 2600MHz
    > Power 103w 103w
    > *(1) Integrated Memory Controller Speed
    >
    > Any thoughts? I don't want to fry the CPU and have to buy a new one
    > and I don't want to build a machine that is prone to BSOD's.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill

    "Customer Reviews for AMD Opteron 1218 Santa Ana 2.6GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 103W Dual"
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819105019

    "Pros: IT IS AN OPTERON, WHAT MORE CAN I SAY? Some may wonder if it
    will work in their motherboard. I put it in a GIGABYTE M61P-S3. It
    works like it was made for this board. I have it running stock with
    G.SKILL ddr2-800, very fast, very stable. Does very good with games
    to. It is a do it all work horse."

    Your memory is capable of running at a variety of speeds - a faster
    memory can be run at slower speeds. So you should be able to adjust
    it as you wish.

    I cannot say much more than that. It probably won't "fry", but only the
    BIOS on your new motherboard, will decide how stable or happy it
    might be. Think of it as a tiny adventure.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 27, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Feb 27, 9:14 am, Paul <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I recently ordered a set of parts from Newegg to build a new system.
    > > Unfortunately, I may not have researched the parts carefully enough. I
    > > first chose the GA-MA770-DS3 motherboard. I then chose a processor and
    > > memory based on the specifications page for this motherboard at
    > > Newegg. The processor I got is the "AMD Opteron 1218 Santa Ana 2.6GHz
    > > Socket AM2 103W Dual-Core Processor Model OSA1218CSBOX - Retail" and
    > > the memory is " Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2
    > > SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
    > > BL2KIT12864AL1065 - Retail"

    > > My problem is that now I am not sure if this processor and memory will
    > > be compatible. When I went to the Gigabyte website to get more
    > > information on this board I found a note at the bottom that says "*
    > > Whether 1066 MHz memory speed is supported depends on the CPU being
    > > used, please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support
    > > information. "

    > > When I clicked on the link, it lists certain specific memory DIMM's
    > > that are know to work but nothing about which CPU/memory combination
    > > will/will not work. I also clicked on the CPU list and found that the
    > > CPU that I ordered (Opteron 1218) is not on the list but the Opteron
    > > 1210 (a lower end CPU) is listed. Here are the CPU specs. I only found
    > > two differences:

    > > Opteron 1210 Opteron 1218
    > > -------------------- -------------------
    > > Freq. 1.8GHz 2.6GHz
    > > HT 1000MHz 1000MHz
    > > IMCS *(1) 1800MHz 2600MHz
    > > Power 103w 103w
    > > *(1) Integrated Memory Controller Speed

    > > Any thoughts? I don't want to fry the CPU and have to buy a new one
    > > and I don't want to build a machine that is prone to BSOD's.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Bill

    > "Customer Reviews for AMD Opteron 1218 Santa Ana 2.6GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 103W Dual"http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819105019
    >
    > "Pros: IT IS AN OPTERON, WHAT MORE CAN I SAY? Some may wonder if it
    > will work in their motherboard. I put it in a GIGABYTE M61P-S3. It
    > works like it was made for this board. I have it running stock with
    > G.SKILL ddr2-800, very fast, very stable. Does very good with games
    > to. It is a do it all work horse."
    >
    > Your memory is capable of running at a variety of speeds - a faster
    > memory can be run at slower speeds. So you should be able to adjust
    > it as you wish.
    >
    > I cannot say much more than that. It probably won't "fry", but only the
    > BIOS on your new motherboard, will decide how stable or happy it
    > might be. Think of it as a tiny adventure.
    >
    > Paul

    I understand that it _can_ run at a slower speed. I am just trying to
    figurre out what the best thing is to do. I can either RMA the memory
    and get cheaper 800 or I can take a chance on a Phenom 9500 processor.
    I am looking for which will be the fastest also. The dual core Opteron
    runs at 2.6GHz but the quad core Phenom runs at only 2.2GHz. I don't
    know which will be faster for most of what I do. I am not a gamer. The
    most CPU intensive applications I run are Photoshop and video
    rendering. Other than that, it's just plain MS Office, web surfing,
    etc.

    Bill

    , Feb 28, 2008
  4. Paul Guest

    wrote:
> [...]

    >> memory can be run at slower speeds. So you should be able to adjust
    >> it as you wish.
    >>
    >> I cannot say much more than that. It probably won't "fry", but only the
    >> BIOS on your new motherboard, will decide how stable or happy it
    >> might be. Think of it as a tiny adventure.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I understand that it _can_ run at a slower speed. I am just trying to
    > figurre out what the best thing is to do. I can either RMA the memory
    > and get cheaper 800 or I can take a chance on a Phenom 9500 processor.
    > I am looking for which will be the fastest also. The dual core Opteron
    > runs at 2.6GHz but the quad core Phenom runs at only 2.2GHz. I don't
    > know which will be faster for most of what I do. I am not a gamer. The
    > most CPU intensive applications I run are Photoshop and video
    > rendering. Other than that, it's just plain MS Office, web surfing,

    The processor you purchased was $130. Phenom 9500 is going for $189 right
    now. And the B3 stepping isn't shipping yet (so if you buy today, the
    chip will have the TLB bug, costing about 10% potential performance - the
    B3 will fix that).

    I think for most average usage, you'll be happy with the dual you've
    purchased.

    Remember that Photoshop contains a mix of filters. Some filters run on
    a single core (favoring the processor with the higher clock rate).
    Some filters use multiple cores. You really need to see a representative
    table of PSBench results, to get an idea of the kind of improvement
    to expect with Phenom.

    I can find some PSBench results, but they're all pretty old and not
    too impressive. I'd almost need to dig up some results for Macintosh,
    to demonstrate it better. In the second link, note that the dual
    AthlonMP is not giving good scaleup over the single processor at
    the same speed. But the second link, is testing with Photoshop 6,
    which is quite old.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3800_10.html
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=1483&p=15

    This one is with Photoshop CS2. Article is from August 16th, 2006.
    About half the filter results favor the quad. And the ratio of
    2.6 to 2.2 cannot change that enough, to make the dual win
    at all the tests. If you compared the dual 2.6 to the quad 2.2 using
    a test like this, the dual 2.6 will still be winning some of them,
    so it is a mixed bag.

    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2816&p=18

    I still think your current choice is slightly better, using your
    listed application mix. The only things that really benefit from
    Phenom, would be multimedia applications that equally load
    the cores, and can use all cores at the same time. Games don't happen
    to load the cores equally, for example. (A couple games I've
    read about, show a 100%-30%-30%-30% loading pattern. One core
    is heavily loaded, the others less so.)

    Find some video rendering benchmarks, because they might benefit
    from the quad. If you spend most of your time waiting for video
    to finish, then it might be worth it.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 28, 2008