Help with my next system upgrade (not a new system): Athlon 64 X2? Conroe Duo? ...

Discussion in 'IBM' started by ANTant@zimage.com, Nov 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello!

    It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
    cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
    of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
    anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
    re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
    1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
    CRT monitor :p).

    I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
    Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
    madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
    keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
    Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low
    and this upgrade is for current and upcoming games (e.g., FPS, 3D, RTS,
    etc.) that should last about two or more years before I do another
    significant upgrade. If I didn't game, I would still be using my old
    Athlon XP system. :D

    One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
    Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
    However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
    the new Intel CPU. Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
    expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
    with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
    stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
    reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.

    I think I am going to get one of these NVIDIA GeForce video cards
    (newegg's prices as of 11/9/2006):
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT = $143+
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS = $180+
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT = $217+

    For operating systems, I will be using Windows XP Pro. SP2 again (will
    do Vista in a year or more; too early to get it due to the needs for
    more software support, compatibility, etc.). I might also put
    Debian/Linux on it as well. Another reason why I picked NVIDIA for video
    card since ATI drivers and support are weak.

    My current primary box specifications can be found at
    http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... Can I keep
    all of my old drives? I know they're slow and old, and they can be
    replaced later on. I will definitely be keeping my old CRT monitor,
    three PCI cards (2 TV tuner cards and a SB Audigy 2 ZS card), etc. as
    well. Power usage, heat (my room can be up to almost 90F degrees during
    the summers), etc. also need to be considered.

    I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
    high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    ( )

    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:13:12 -0600, wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
    >cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
    >of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
    >anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
    >re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
    >1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
    >CRT monitor :p).
    >
    >I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
    >Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
    >madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
    >keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
    >Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low
    >and this upgrade is for current and upcoming games (e.g., FPS, 3D, RTS,
    >etc.) that should last about two or more years before I do another
    >significant upgrade. If I didn't game, I would still be using my old
    >Athlon XP system. :D
    >
    >One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
    >Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
    >However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
    >the new Intel CPU. Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
    >expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
    >with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
    >stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
    >reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.
    >
    >I think I am going to get one of these NVIDIA GeForce video cards
    >(newegg's prices as of 11/9/2006):
    >NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT = $143+
    >NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS = $180+
    >NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT = $217+
    >
    >For operating systems, I will be using Windows XP Pro. SP2 again (will
    >do Vista in a year or more; too early to get it due to the needs for
    >more software support, compatibility, etc.). I might also put
    >Debian/Linux on it as well. Another reason why I picked NVIDIA for video
    >card since ATI drivers and support are weak.
    >
    >My current primary box specifications can be found at
    >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... Can I keep
    >all of my old drives? I know they're slow and old, and they can be
    >replaced later on. I will definitely be keeping my old CRT monitor,
    >three PCI cards (2 TV tuner cards and a SB Audigy 2 ZS card), etc. as
    >well. Power usage, heat (my room can be up to almost 90F degrees during
    >the summers), etc. also need to be considered.
    >
    >I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
    >high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.
    >
    >Thank you in advance. :)

    Wait for DX10 braggard
    =========================

    1. Advertising

  3. John Weiss

    John Weiss Guest

    <> wrote...

    > It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
    > cannot handle the newest games

    .. . .

    > I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
    > Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
    > madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
    > keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
    > Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low

    Motherboard and CPU for sure. Video card most likely, assuming yours is AGP
    and the new one is PCIe. RAM depending on compatibility.

    > One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
    > Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
    > However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
    > the new Intel CPU.

    For performance, the Core 2 Duo (NOT the Core duo!) is what you need. The
    Core 2 CPUs apparently run considerably cooler than AMDs. Compare prices
    with your AMD CPU of choice, and decide what you want and can afford.

    For gaming, an AMD FX (rather than X2) may be what you really want,
    depending on price and availability. You might be able to pick up a S939
    board and FX-55 (2.6 GHz, $200 range) or 57 (2.8 GHz, $400 range) cheaper
    than a new Core 2 setup. If you think you need dual-core for future games,
    look at the FX-60 (dual 2.6 GHz, $800 range).

    Check Newegg.com and other on-line stores to compare what's available in
    your price range.

  4. OldDog

    OldDog Guest

    <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
    > Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.

    Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean its best bang for your $.
    You need to get online and check out the benchmarks and then compare the
    prices.

    > However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
    > the new Intel CPU.

    Why? What was their reasoning behind this?

    >Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
    > expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
    > with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
    > stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
    > reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.

    Waiting a few months to ensure new products aren't buggy is good pratice.
    The new Intel Core 2 Duo is coming up on six months pretty soon.

    <snip>

    > I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
    > high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.

    Check out some of these links. While I've been a big AMD fan for years now,
    the Intel Core 2 Duo does look good. Plus, the cheapest Core 2 (E6300)
    seems to OC very easily and gets very nice results.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/10/cheap_thrills/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/21/cpu_charts_summer_2006/
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802

    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/index.php
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3620036__8

    http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=1

    The above are CPU reviews. You can also use the above links to check out
    the Video cards to see which card is the best bang for your budget.

  5. Guest

    > >It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
    > >cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
    > >of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
    > >anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
    > >re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
    > >1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
    > >CRT monitor :p).
    > >
    > >I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
    > >Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
    > >madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
    > >keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
    > >Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low
    > >and this upgrade is for current and upcoming games (e.g., FPS, 3D, RTS,
    > >etc.) that should last about two or more years before I do another
    > >significant upgrade. If I didn't game, I would still be using my old
    > >Athlon XP system. :D
    > >
    > >One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
    > >Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
    > >However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
    > >the new Intel CPU. Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
    > >expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
    > >with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
    > >stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
    > >reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.
    > >
    > >I think I am going to get one of these NVIDIA GeForce video cards
    > >(newegg's prices as of 11/9/2006):
    > >NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT = $143+
    > >NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS = $180+
    > >NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT = $217+
    > >
    > >For operating systems, I will be using Windows XP Pro. SP2 again (will
    > >do Vista in a year or more; too early to get it due to the needs for
    > >more software support, compatibility, etc.). I might also put
    > >Debian/Linux on it as well. Another reason why I picked NVIDIA for video
    > >card since ATI drivers and support are weak.
    > >
    > >My current primary box specifications can be found at
    > >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... Can I keep
    > >all of my old drives? I know they're slow and old, and they can be
    > >replaced later on. I will definitely be keeping my old CRT monitor,
    > >three PCI cards (2 TV tuner cards and a SB Audigy 2 ZS card), etc. as
    > >well. Power usage, heat (my room can be up to almost 90F degrees during
    > >the summers), etc. also need to be considered.
    > >
    > >I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
    > >high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.
    > >
    > >Thank you in advance. :)

    > Wait for DX10 braggard

    When is it coming out? Even if I waited, the prices for those video
    cards will be too much like the current 8800 cards. There's no way I am
    spending over 300 bucks for a video card.
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
    a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
    could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    ( )

  6. Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 John Weiss <jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet> wrote:
    > <> wrote...
    > >
    > > It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
    > > cannot handle the newest games

    > . . .

    > > I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
    > > Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
    > > madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
    > > keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
    > > Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low

    > Motherboard and CPU for sure. Video card most likely, assuming yours is AGP
    > and the new one is PCIe. RAM depending on compatibility.

    Video card has to be replaced if I am changing the motherboard due to
    AGP vs. PCIE. So, I am fine with this since it was expected.

    > > One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
    > > Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
    > > However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
    > > the new Intel CPU.

    > For performance, the Core 2 Duo (NOT the Core duo!) is what you need. The
    > Core 2 CPUs apparently run considerably cooler than AMDs. Compare prices
    > with your AMD CPU of choice, and decide what you want and can afford.

    OK.

    > For gaming, an AMD FX (rather than X2) may be what you really want,
    > depending on price and availability. You might be able to pick up a S939
    > board and FX-55 (2.6 GHz, $200 range) or 57 (2.8 GHz, $400 range) cheaper
    > than a new Core 2 setup. If you think you need dual-core for future games,
    > look at the FX-60 (dual 2.6 GHz, $800 range).

    Hmm, I see 200 bucks for FX (65 and 55). So, they're faster and better
    than 64 x2? This was on pricewatch.com.
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
    a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
    could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    ( )

  7. Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 OldDog <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
    > > Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.

    > Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean its best bang for your $.
    > You need to get online and check out the benchmarks and then compare the
    > prices.

    That's the problem. All the reviews and benchmarks I see are for
    high-end systems, high-end video cards, etc. I don't see any of the
    medium range. Do you know the URLs for those? Again, the total cost of
    my upgrade needs to be less than $1,000 (U.S.).

    > > However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
    > > the new Intel CPU.

    > Why? What was their reasoning behind this?

    No reasons like this comment: "Core 2 Duo all the way." --one friend.
    That is why I want to see if you guys agreed.

    > >Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
    > > expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
    > > with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
    > > stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
    > > reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.
    > >

    > Waiting a few months to ensure new products aren't buggy is good pratice.
    > The new Intel Core 2 Duo is coming up on six months pretty soon.

    Yeah, and cheaper. ;) I don't think I can wait that long since I won't
    have time to research and upgrade at that time. Beside, something is
    always coming out. :)

    > <snip>
    > >
    > > I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
    > > high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.
    > >

    > Check out some of these links. While I've been a big AMD fan for years now,
    > the Intel Core 2 Duo does look good. Plus, the cheapest Core 2 (E6300)
    > seems to OC very easily and gets very nice results.

    I forgot to mention that I am not planning to OC either, especially
    with my room can be up to 90 degrees(F) during the heat waves.

    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/10/cheap_thrills/
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/21/cpu_charts_summer_2006/
    > http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

    The interactive one was cool.

    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802

    > http://www.sharkyextreme.com/index.php
    > http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3620036__8

    > http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=1

    > The above are CPU reviews. You can also use the above links to check out
    > the Video cards to see which card is the best bang for your budget.

    Thanks.
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
    a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
    could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    ( )

  8. Shawk

    Shawk Guest

    Re: Help with my next system upgrade (not a new system): Athlon 64X2? Conroe Duo? ...

    wrote:
    > Hello!

    Hello.

    Take a look at the 'Your next computer upgrade' thread in CSIPGA dated
    14th October. Two of us have just gone through what you're contemplating.

  9. Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned Shawk <.3guesses> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hello!

    > Hello.

    > Take a look at the 'Your next computer upgrade' thread in CSIPGA dated
    > 14th October. Two of us have just gone through what you're contemplating.

    Thanks. I will have to go download the older threads in this newsgroup
    then.
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
    a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
    could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    ( )

  10. JLC

    JLC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
    > cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
    > of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
    > anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
    > re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
    > 1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
    > CRT monitor :p).

    You can't go wrong buying from Newegg. I just built a new PC and all my
    parts came from them. I got great deals, and over $100 worth of rebates on
    the parts I bought.
    You can read up on every part your looking for on Neweggs site.
    The Intel E6600 is the best bang for your buck CPU on the market. This is
    what I have and it kicks butt. But if you are going cheap, you might what to
    stick with AMD just so you don't have to upgrade so many parts. The Core 2
    Duo's need at lest DDR2 667 RAM. The best part about the C2D chips is that
    they use so much less power, then the older Intel, and AMD chips. Anyway I'm
    sure your going to get lots of advice, so that's my 2 cents worth. JLC

  11. Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt JLC <jc@nospam> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
    > > cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
    > > of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
    > > anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
    > > re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
    > > 1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
    > > CRT monitor :p).
    > >

    > You can't go wrong buying from Newegg. I just built a new PC and all my
    > parts came from them. I got great deals, and over $100 worth of rebates on
    > the parts I bought.
    > You can read up on every part your looking for on Neweggs site.
    > The Intel E6600 is the best bang for your buck CPU on the market. This is
    > what I have and it kicks butt. But if you are going cheap, you might what to
    > stick with AMD just so you don't have to upgrade so many parts. The Core 2
    > Duo's need at lest DDR2 667 RAM. The best part about the C2D chips is that
    > they use so much less power, then the older Intel, and AMD chips. Anyway I'm
    > sure your going to get lots of advice, so that's my 2 cents worth. JLC

    Yeah, I noticed a lot of 6600 mentioned. I might get that if I chose
    Intel's route.

    I can't believe how many CPU models there are! No wonder I can't find a
    quick answer. :/
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
    a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
    could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    ( )

  12. Mitch Crane

    Mitch Crane Guest

    wrote in

    > That's the problem. All the reviews and benchmarks I see are for
    > high-end systems, high-end video cards, etc. I don't see any of the
    > medium range. Do you know the URLs for those? Again, the total cost
    > of my upgrade needs to be less than $1,000 (U.S.).
    >

    >> > However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should
    >> > go for the new Intel CPU.

    >> Why? What was their reasoning behind this?

    > No reasons like this comment: "Core 2 Duo all the way." --one
    > friend. That is why I want to see if you guys agreed.

    I agree. I just upgraded my Athlon64 system. I spent right at $1000 (less
    including rebates). I bought an Asus P5W DH, Conroe E6600, 2GB Crucial
    Ballistix and an nVidia 7600 GT OC. This is my first Intel chip since the
    P3 (the last good Desktop chip Intel made).

    The only AMD chips which perform comparably to the Intel Core 2 Duo are
    very expensive. You'll get a lot more for your money with Conroe.
    Hopefully AMD will have an answer to Conroe next year (competition is
    good), but right now I think Intel has a clear price/performance lead.

    --
    ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgbneguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
    atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqgurerfgbsgurvetrareng

  13. Guest

    > > That's the problem. All the reviews and benchmarks I see are for
    > > high-end systems, high-end video cards, etc. I don't see any of the
    > > medium range. Do you know the URLs for those? Again, the total cost
    > > of my upgrade needs to be less than $1,000 (U.S.).

    > >> Why? What was their reasoning behind this?

    > > No reasons like this comment: "Core 2 Duo all the way." --one
    > > friend. That is why I want to see if you guys agreed.

    > I agree. I just upgraded my Athlon64 system. I spent right at $1000 (less
    > including rebates). I bought an Asus P5W DH, Conroe E6600, 2GB Crucial
    > Ballistix and an nVidia 7600 GT OC. This is my first Intel chip since the
    > P3 (the last good Desktop chip Intel made).

    > The only AMD chips which perform comparably to the Intel Core 2 Duo are
    > very expensive. You'll get a lot more for your money with Conroe.
    > Hopefully AMD will have an answer to Conroe next year (competition is
    > good), but right now I think Intel has a clear price/performance lead.

    Interesting. Now, is it true that if I were to get Intel CPU, I would
    need to get rid of all my old drives and replace them? I know they're
    old IDEs and stuff. :(
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
    a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
    could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    ( )

  14. Mitch Crane

    Mitch Crane Guest

    wrote in

    >> > That's the problem. All the reviews and benchmarks I see are for
    >> > high-end systems, high-end video cards, etc. I don't see any of
    >> > the medium range. Do you know the URLs for those? Again, the
    >> > total cost of my upgrade needs to be less than $1,000 (U.S.).

    >> > No reasons like this comment: "Core 2 Duo all the way." --one
    >> > friend. That is why I want to see if you guys agreed.

    >> I agree. I just upgraded my Athlon64 system. I spent right at $1000
    >> (less including rebates). I bought an Asus P5W DH, Conroe E6600,
    >> 2GB Crucial Ballistix and an nVidia 7600 GT OC. This is my first
    >> Intel chip since the P3 (the last good Desktop chip Intel made).

    >> The only AMD chips which perform comparably to the Intel Core 2 Duo
    >> are very expensive. You'll get a lot more for your money with
    >> Conroe. Hopefully AMD will have an answer to Conroe next year
    >> (competition is good), but right now I think Intel has a clear
    >> price/performance lead.

    > Interesting. Now, is it true that if I were to get Intel CPU, I
    > would need to get rid of all my old drives and replace them? I know
    > they're old IDEs and stuff. :(

    No. The biggest problem is that newer boards are severely lacking in
    IDE connectors. They tend to have tons of SATA and one PATA (standard
    IDE) channel. That was one of the factors that led me to choose the P5W
    DH. It has 2 IDE connectors so I can use my 2 IDE hard drives and two
    IDE optical drives.

    --
    ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgbneguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
    atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqgurerfgbsgurvetrareng
    vbaabgriragurtbireazragnertbaanfgbclbhabjohgnerlbhernqlgborurnegoebxra

  15. kony

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:13:12 -0600, wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
    >cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
    >of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
    >anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
    >re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
    >1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
    >CRT monitor :p).
    >
    >I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
    >Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
    >madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
    >keep and what I should get.

    <snip>

    So you want everyone in all the following groups to take up
    their time helping you shop.

    comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,
    comp.sys.intel,
    alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,
    alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,
    alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned

    You should just buy a Dell and stop being so selfish.

    Further, you don't need a new system if the problem is
    cranking up eyecandy in games, you need a better video card.
    next would probably be a better monitor, as 1024/768 with
    all the eyecandy in the world will still look worse overall
    than medium settings on a decent LCD.

  16. JLC

    JLC Guest

    "Mitch Crane" <-three> wrote in message
    > wrote in
    >
    >> That's the problem. All the reviews and benchmarks I see are for
    >> high-end systems, high-end video cards, etc. I don't see any of the
    >> medium range. Do you know the URLs for those? Again, the total cost
    >> of my upgrade needs to be less than $1,000 (U.S.).

    >>> Why? What was their reasoning behind this?

    >> No reasons like this comment: "Core 2 Duo all the way." --one
    >> friend. That is why I want to see if you guys agreed.

    > I agree. I just upgraded my Athlon64 system. I spent right at $1000 (less
    > including rebates). I bought an Asus P5W DH, Conroe E6600, 2GB Crucial
    > Ballistix and an nVidia 7600 GT OC. This is my first Intel chip since the
    > P3 (the last good Desktop chip Intel made).

    I put together the same rig as yours, except I went with 2GB Corsair XMS2
    DDR2 800, and a ATI x1900XT. I have the P5W Deluxe MB. What does the DH
    stand for?
    I also went with a 550watt Antec True Power 2.0 PS.
    For the OP you don't need to worry about coming in at a grand for your
    parts. You can buy a great video card for less then $200 take your pick
    between ATI or Nvidia. They're both pretty much neck in neck in that price
    range. I take it you don't have to buy a case so that's going to save you $.
    I'd sure go with a total upgrade if you're going to do, it go for it. Why
    slow down your new CPU with an old HD, memory, est..
    SATA HD's are cheap. I bought two 320GIG SATA 3.0Gb/s Seagate Barracuda
    model 7200.10 which have 16MB of cache for $94 each. All said and done I
    spent around $1400 for my parts. But I spent $100 on a case, $260 for the
    1900xt, an extra $94 for the second HD and I spent $70 ($40 after rebate)
    for a Audigy 4 SC even though my MB has OK on board sound. So you should be
    able to get everything you want and have a killer rig when you're done.
    There's a few guys on C.S.I.P.G and A.C.P.V.ATI that have just upgraded to
    the same platform so you're in luck because we like talking about or new
    toys. Any questions I'm sure one of use will be happy to help you out. Happy
    Shopping! JLC

  17. JLC

    JLC Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > You should just buy a Dell and stop being so selfish.
    >
    > Further, you don't need a new system if the problem is
    > cranking up eyecandy in games, you need a better video card.
    > next would probably be a better monitor, as 1024/768 with
    > all the eyecandy in the world will still look worse overall
    > than medium settings on a decent LCD.

    You're an asshole. What the hell is wrong asking this question in the groups
    he picked?
    Gee let me see, gaming groups because we know about video cards. IMB
    hardware
    because they know about CPUs, and home built, well I guess he knows how to
    build a PC, he just needs some help. It's people like you that will walk
    right passed someone that is laying in the street hurt. JLC

  18. Guest

    > >> I agree. I just upgraded my Athlon64 system. I spent right at $1000
    > >> (less including rebates). I bought an Asus P5W DH, Conroe E6600,
    > >> 2GB Crucial Ballistix and an nVidia 7600 GT OC. This is my first
    > >> Intel chip since the P3 (the last good Desktop chip Intel made).

    > >> The only AMD chips which perform comparably to the Intel Core 2 Duo
    > >> are very expensive. You'll get a lot more for your money with
    > >> Conroe. Hopefully AMD will have an answer to Conroe next year
    > >> (competition is good), but right now I think Intel has a clear
    > >> price/performance lead.

    > > Interesting. Now, is it true that if I were to get Intel CPU, I
    > > would need to get rid of all my old drives and replace them? I know
    > > they're old IDEs and stuff. :(

    > No. The biggest problem is that newer boards are severely lacking in
    > IDE connectors. They tend to have tons of SATA and one PATA (standard
    > IDE) channel. That was one of the factors that led me to choose the P5W
    > DH. It has 2 IDE connectors so I can use my 2 IDE hard drives and two
    > IDE optical drives.

    Ah. Who makes P5W? ASUS? I will probably to get that too. How much did
    you pay for it and which CPU did you get?
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
    a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
    could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    ( )

  19. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    wrote:
    >>> That's the problem. All the reviews and benchmarks I see are for
    >>> high-end systems, high-end video cards, etc. I don't see any of the
    >>> medium range. Do you know the URLs for those? Again, the total cost
    >>> of my upgrade needs to be less than $1,000 (U.S.).

    >>> No reasons like this comment: "Core 2 Duo all the way." --one
    >>> friend. That is why I want to see if you guys agreed.

    >> I agree. I just upgraded my Athlon64 system. I spent right at $1000
    >> (less including rebates). I bought an Asus P5W DH, Conroe E6600, 2GB
    >> Crucial Ballistix and an nVidia 7600 GT OC. This is my first Intel
    >> chip since the P3 (the last good Desktop chip Intel made).

    >> The only AMD chips which perform comparably to the Intel Core 2 Duo
    >> are very expensive. You'll get a lot more for your money with Conroe.
    >> Hopefully AMD will have an answer to Conroe next year (competition is
    >> good), but right now I think Intel has a clear price/performance
    >> lead.

    > Interesting. Now, is it true that if I were to get Intel CPU,
    > I would need to get rid of all my old drives and replace
    > them? I know they're old IDEs and stuff. :(

    Nope, they will work just as well as with an AMD cpu.

    Best to concentrate on motherboards with a decent number
    of ATA ports, there are some now for both cpu types with
    just one and thats usually used for the optical drives.

    And make sure the motherboard has enough PCI
    slots for the cards you use for some of them.

  20. Mitch Crane

    Mitch Crane Guest

    wrote in

    > Ah. Who makes P5W? ASUS? I will probably to get that too. How much
    > did you pay for it and which CPU did you get?

    The cpu I have is the Conroe E6600.

    board:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131025

    I recomend you use a good PSU with this board. If your current PSU is a
    cheapie then you may have problems.