    Nothing is shown in the bios that I can change.

    Hoping you might be able to help

    jim

    James L Turner, Jul 7, 2007

  2. James L Turner wrote:

    | Hell,
    | A couple of months ago I bought a new usb dvd drive, and pluged it in
    | to on of the usb ports and it took the number space of the usb drive that
    | I've been using to back-up my system. And the restore refuses to run
    | it in the new letter space. Can you help me with changing the letter of
    | the drive? Nothing is shown in the bios that I can change.
    |
    | Hoping you might be able to help
    |
    | jim

    Hi Jim -

    The BIOS has nothing to do with the drive letters that are assigned by
    Windows.

    Assuming you have Windows 2000 or XP, connect up the DVD drive and the drive
    you've been using to run your backups. Then right-click on My Computer and
    select Manage from the menu.

    From there expand Storage and Disk Management.

    On the right pane, right-click your DVD drive and choose the option to
    change the drive letter. Change the drive assignment to something else.

    Finally, right-click on the drive you use for your backups and change the
    drive letter there as well.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jul 8, 2007

  3. Jef,

    I've a similar problem with a USB connected hard drive on a NF7-S which
    shows in Disk manager correctly but will not show in My Computer. Drive
    works with lap-top and I can even read and write to it in DOS via the
    Command Prompt on the NF7 machine. XP has all updates and MB is up to date
    with drivers.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Geo

    GEORGE SHUMARD, Jul 8, 2007
  4. GEORGE SHUMARD wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | I've a similar problem with a USB connected hard drive on a NF7-S
    | which shows in Disk manager correctly but will not show in My
    | Computer. Drive works with lap-top and I can even read and write
    | to it in DOS via the Command Prompt on the NF7 machine. XP has
    | all updates and MB is up to date with drivers.
    |
    | Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    |
    | Geo

    Hi Geo -

    It's possible that the drive failed to enumerate on the USB controller.

    Sometimes you can fix this by disconnecting everything USB from the computer
    (other than Mouse and Keyboard, if these are USB, as you'll need them for
    the following) then starting the system.

    Go into Device Manager and expand the USB branch of the device tree.

    Right-click on each item and select Uninstall from the menu. Repeat for
    every item under the USB branch.

    Reboot the computer when finished. The Add Hardware Wizard will redetect
    all of your USB hubs and controllers (and keyboard and mouse, if these are
    USB). When the Add Hardware Wizard has finished it's work, plug the USB
    drive into the system. See if the computer will properly enumerate the
    drive.

    One question though: Does the drive have external power or is it powered by
    the USB port? Reason I ask is that most drives will require more than the
    500ma that is provided by the USB port in order to start. Many drives
    powered by USB ports have a second USB connector that draws an additional
    500ma from the motherboard in order to start the drive. I have a couple of
    2.5" external drives that need both connectors or an external adapter in
    order to start.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jul 9, 2007
  5. If XP, right-click 'My Computer' select 'Manage', select 'Disk
    Management', right-click the desired drive, change the drive letter.

    Airman Thunderbird, Jul 9, 2007
  6. Jef,

    Thanks for the suggestions all of which I tried unsuccessfully. Finally
    discovered my problem was with TWEAK UI in which I must have turned off all
    the unused drive letters at the time which prevented Windows from seeing
    them. Just reclicked the drive letter I had assigned to the Fantom and all
    was right. Simple solution to a baffling problem.

    Thanks for your help.

    George

    GEORGE SHUMARD, Jul 10, 2007
  7. GEORGE SHUMARD wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | Thanks for the suggestions all of which I tried unsuccessfully.
    | Finally discovered my problem was with TWEAK UI in which I
    | must have turned off all the unused drive letters at the time which
    | prevented Windows from seeing them. Just reclicked the drive
    | letter I had assigned to the Fantom and all was right. Simple
    | solution to a baffling problem.
    |
    | Thanks for your help.
    |
    | George

    Hi George -

    I think my brain is echoing... ;-}

    Good that you post here as well as Abit's forum. I'll remember to suggest
    looking at TweakUI when I come across someone with this problem again.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jul 10, 2007
  8. Thank very much I've been able to change the drive letters and solve my
    problem.

    Thank again

    jim turner

    "Bird Janitor®" <> wrote in