Help with purchasing upgrade to Video card in Dell 4550

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Katy, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Katy

    Katy Guest

    Hi Everyone, We want to purchase an upgrade to the video card in the Dell
    Dimension 4550 (we currently have a 64mb Nvidea). I was told by Dell
    support that the ONLY 128mb card available for that model is ATI Radeon
    Model 9700 and their price is $435 plus shipping and tax. That's a lot,
    isn't it???

    Can anyone tell me if there is any other video card that would work with
    that model 4550 or if there is a web site that will show me compatible video
    cards for this Dell Dimension 4550, other than the Dell site, which doesn't?
    Seems we can only call Tech Support which is insistent that we make a
    decision right now, to buy the ONLY one they say is available.

    Or is it possible that Dell is giving me the run around as to compatible
    video cards for this model just to sell me a $435 video card?

    Our computer has 1gb of RAM from Dell, 2 hard drives (1 is 120gb high speed
    from Dell), everything but our 64mb video card has been upgraded with Dell
    upgrades and we are locking up creating videos with Microsoft MovieMaker. I
    am thinking a higher megabyte video card could 'help' us avoid these
    lockups. My husband uses it more than I do for creating videos from
    snapshots & negatives he scans with a Dell scanner specifically for
    negatives but he has to shut down about every hr. or 2 to avoid these
    lockups. I just think an upgrade in graphics card might help him. He does
    have a tendancy to click on another command before the the previous one has
    been completed because 'it's taking so long'.

    Please can anyone help us either by confirming that this ATI Radeon 9700 is
    the ONLY video card that will work in this Dimension 4550 or..... where
    there might be a web site that will help us find any other 128mb or 256mb
    graphics card for this model.

    Thank you so much for listening and can you please help????
    PKV & Katy
    Katy, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Katy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Good grief no.

    It will accept any 4x AGP card.

    My 4550 has a retail ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Lots more card than the 9700.
    The power supply is vastly underrated, so it will support pretty much any
    card.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Katy

    WSZsr Guest

    Here is a much better video card for half the price.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-286&depa=0.
    Newegg is a very reputable supplier.

    I think you have the solution to the lockup problem. Cure your husband's
    impatience. Rendering video is very slow.

    WSZsr, Sep 7, 2004
  4. "Katy" <> wrote in message

    > Our computer has 1gb of RAM from Dell, 2 hard drives (1 is 120gb high
    > speed
    > from Dell), everything but our 64mb video card has been upgraded with Dell
    > upgrades and we are locking up creating videos with Microsoft MovieMaker.
    > am thinking a higher megabyte video card could 'help' us avoid these
    > lockups. My husband uses it more than I do for creating videos from
    > snapshots & negatives he scans with a Dell scanner specifically for
    > negatives but he has to shut down about every hr. or 2 to avoid these
    > lockups. I just think an upgrade in graphics card might help him. He
    > does
    > have a tendancy to click on another command before the the previous one
    > has
    > been completed because 'it's taking so long'.

    While the other posters are correct in that pretty much any AGP video card
    will work in your machine (not just the one Dell recommends), from your
    description it sounds like the video card is not your problem. A video card
    upgrade isn't going to help at all with Windows Movie Maker. It sounds to
    me like you might have hardware overheating problems. Whatever it is, it's
    not the video card.

    Regardless, $435 is absurdly expensive for a Radeon 9700 card. Don't pay
    it.
    Eddie Aftandilian, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Katy

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Eddie Aftandilian" <> wrote in message
    > "Katy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Our computer has 1gb of RAM from Dell, 2 hard drives (1 is 120gb high
    >> speed
    >> from Dell), everything but our 64mb video card has been upgraded with
    >> Dell
    >> upgrades and we are locking up creating videos with Microsoft MovieMaker.
    >> am thinking a higher megabyte video card could 'help' us avoid these
    >> lockups. My husband uses it more than I do for creating videos from
    >> snapshots & negatives he scans with a Dell scanner specifically for
    >> negatives but he has to shut down about every hr. or 2 to avoid these
    >> lockups. I just think an upgrade in graphics card might help him. He
    >> does
    >> have a tendancy to click on another command before the the previous one
    >> has
    >> been completed because 'it's taking so long'.

    > While the other posters are correct in that pretty much any AGP video card
    > will work in your machine (not just the one Dell recommends), from your
    > description it sounds like the video card is not your problem. A video
    > card upgrade isn't going to help at all with Windows Movie Maker. It
    > sounds to me like you might have hardware overheating problems. Whatever
    > it is, it's not the video card.
    >
    > Regardless, $435 is absurdly expensive for a Radeon 9700 card. Don't pay
    > it.

    I should have read the detail more closely and not just answered the
    specific question.

    More video memory is worthless when rendering video. Video takes a LONG
    time. ON a 4550 (don't know your exact speed), figure about real-time -- 10
    minutes to render 10 minutes of video. Let it run overnight.

    Shouldn't lock up, but Moveimaker is an entry level program from MS, so....

    Are you running the latest version rom Windows Update?

    Tom
    Tom Scales, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Katy

    Katy Guest

    Thank you everyone for your replys!!!!

    We Greatly appreciate the advice that it's not the video card, but how
    may we help with the overheating problem? Do you have any recommendations?
    I remember seeing a System Monitor in Win98 where the monitor could reside
    on the Taskbar which I really loved. But is there any way in XP to get this
    'taskbar monitor'? or is there something else we could install to alleviate
    or monitor the overheating? It does make sense because of the intensity of
    the video rendering but how can we reduce the heat?

    Thanks for ANY advice! Upgrading to a larger PC with more pre-installed
    fans is not feasible right now but is there any upgrade fan size (maybe we
    could replace existing fans?) without buying a larger case? The computer
    room is air conditioned, the case is within the desk with a backboard, could
    this be reducing fan efficiency? Do you have any suggestions on how to keep
    the PC heat that is generated, down?

    Thank you Again!!! These ideas are SOOOOOOO helpful, you have no idea!!!

    PKV and Katy

    Katy, Sep 8, 2004
  7. "Katy" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for ANY advice! Upgrading to a larger PC with more pre-installed
    > fans is not feasible right now but is there any upgrade fan size (maybe we
    > could replace existing fans?) without buying a larger case? The computer
    > room is air conditioned, the case is within the desk with a backboard,
    > could
    > this be reducing fan efficiency? Do you have any suggestions on how to
    > keep
    > the PC heat that is generated, down?

    One thing I can think of is to try temporarily moving the computer out of
    the desk (so there's no backboard to obstruct the airflow) and see if it
    still locks up when using Windows Movie Maker. If that fixes the problem,
    then you can find a new place to put the computer.

    Hope this helps!
    Eddie Aftandilian, Sep 8, 2004
  8. Katy

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > We Greatly appreciate the advice that it's not the video card, but how
    > may we help with the overheating problem? Do you have any recommendations?
    > I remember seeing a System Monitor in Win98 where the monitor could reside
    > on the Taskbar which I really loved.

    AFAIK MBM (Motherboard Monitor) works under XP, but development was
    recently halted after over 7 years of making a great little utility.

    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    Colin Wilson, Sep 8, 2004
  9. Katy

    Katy Guest

    Thanks everyone for your replys and help!! I did download the MBM file and
    we'll see how that works. It would be interesting to see how hot it does
    get when working with MovieMaker. We've done the windows updates but not
    sure if we have the latest version of MM, will look for that too. Maybe we
    can even take the side off the computer while he's working on videos to see
    if that keeps the temperature down, plus the operator slowing down should
    help.

    Sure appreciate everyone's help here!! Thanks so much for
    everything......... katy and pkv

    Katy, Sep 9, 2004
  10. Katy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Won't work. The Dimension 4550 doesn't have a temperature sensor.

    Tom Scales, Sep 9, 2004