HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Jim Donovan, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. Jim Donovan

    Jim Donovan Guest

    I don't know where to send this, but I'll try here.

    I have a laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155) with a 40 GB HD, 512 MB
    RAM, Celeron (2.0 GHZ), running XP Pro with a built-in combo drive (DVD
    player/CD-ROM/CD-RW). I wanted the ability to store more than 700MB of
    data on a disk, so I purchased an Aopen DRW8800AAN drive and put it in
    an external drive enclosure which hooks into one of my USB ports. Once
    the disk was installed, the operating system recognized the new hardware
    and installed the driver for it. Once installed, both the internal and
    external disk drives can play a DVD, play a music CD, as well as read a
    data CD, however, neither will now recognize a blank disk as blank and
    recordable. Whenever I put in a blank disk, the disk designation (that
    appears in Windows Explorer changes from "DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:)" or
    "DVD-RW Drive (E:)" to "CD-ROM" and if you look at the properties of the
    disk it says the same as if there was nothing in the drive (disk
    completely full and not writable).

    Has anyone got a clue as what I need to do to get this to work????

    TIA.

    Jim Donovan
    Jim Donovan, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Jim Donovan

    c Guest

    "Jim Donovan" <> wrote in message
    > I don't know where to send this, but I'll try here.
    >
    > I have a laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155) with a 40 GB HD, 512 MB
    > RAM, Celeron (2.0 GHZ), running XP Pro with a built-in combo drive (DVD
    > player/CD-ROM/CD-RW). I wanted the ability to store more than 700MB of
    > data on a disk, so I purchased an Aopen DRW8800AAN drive and put it in
    > an external drive enclosure which hooks into one of my USB ports. Once
    > the disk was installed, the operating system recognized the new hardware
    > and installed the driver for it. Once installed, both the internal and
    > external disk drives can play a DVD, play a music CD, as well as read a
    > data CD, however, neither will now recognize a blank disk as blank and
    > recordable. Whenever I put in a blank disk, the disk designation (that
    > appears in Windows Explorer changes from "DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:)" or
    > "DVD-RW Drive (E:)" to "CD-ROM" and if you look at the properties of the
    > disk it says the same as if there was nothing in the drive (disk
    > completely full and not writable).
    >
    > Has anyone got a clue as what I need to do to get this to work????
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Jim Donovan

    This part probably doesn't matter, but make sure you have service pack 1
    installed for XP. Then go to the laptops manufacturer website and get the
    latest USB drivers. Once that is done, then try the drive again. If no-go,
    then open the device manager and disable the CDRW drive and reboot. Some
    systems just dont like 2 optical drives for some reason.

    Chris
    c, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Jim Donovan

    Jim Donovan Guest

    Chris,

    Thanks for the help. Still no-go. I have gone to the Aopen website and
    downloaded a list of supported media and will see if it is a media problem.
    I'll let you know.

    Thanks

    Jim Donovan

    Jim Donovan, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Jim Donovan

    c Guest

    It really shouldn't be an issue. I use AOpen drives and sell them as well,
    and have never had anyone say that they couldn't use a certain brand disk. I
    usually buy the cheapest ones I can find and have never had an issue with
    them myself. The fact that the drive status changes in the device manager
    suggests that there may be a faulty drive. It won't hurt to try different
    media either, but I have my doubts.

    Good luck
    Chris

    c, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Jim Donovan

    Jim Donovan Guest

    Chris,

    No, it wasn't media. It was however a conflict between two versions of Nero.
    One for the internal and one for the external. As soon as I got rid of both and
    reloaded it, it works fine.

    Thanks for all your input.

    Jim

    Jim Donovan, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Jim Donovan

    grevillep Guest

    In most cases when you put a blank CD in the burner, ONLY CD writing
    software recognises it as a disk. Explorer will NOT see it. If you
    have software that allows you to write direct from Explorer like InCD
    to CD then you probably need a driver update.
    grevillep, Oct 11, 2004