    just got a great deal on the X2 3800.

    There probably just jumping the gun on everyone else and all will be at this
    price in a day or two.

    SniffinPopRocks, Jul 23, 2006

  2. (SniffinPopRocks) wrote:

    > Hopefully I will be able to OC it to 2500 like my venice.

    Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
    difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
    background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
    x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
    was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :)

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jul 23, 2006

  3. "Andrew MacPherson" <> wrote in message
    > (SniffinPopRocks) wrote:
    >
    >> Hopefully I will be able to OC it to 2500 like my venice.

    > Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
    > difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
    > background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
    > x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
    > was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :)
    >
    > Andrew McP

    I do a lot of .par and .rar and burning, so, if I can now do both at the
    same time, I think I'll see a huge difference, as is, a single rar extract
    or par recovery brings anything else to it's knees.

    SniffinPopRocks, Jul 23, 2006
  4. SniffinPopRocks

    Flow Guest

    "SniffinPopRocks" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Andrew MacPherson" <> wrote in message
    > > (SniffinPopRocks) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hopefully I will be able to OC it to 2500 like my venice.

    > > Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
    > > difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
    > > background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
    > > x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
    > > was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :)
    > >
    > > Andrew McP
    > >

    > I do a lot of .par and .rar and burning, so, if I can now do both at the
    > same time, I think I'll see a huge difference, as is, a single rar extract
    > or par recovery brings anything else to it's knees.
    >
    >Indeed,you wil see an increase on that level.

    However,the general consensus is that for gaming your venice outperforms the
    x2 3800+.
    Still,you don't mention that,so congratz on your purchase.
    I noticed the price drop also here in holland.The x2 4600+ for the same
    price I payed last year for my xp3800+ venice.
    Which btw reaches 2.7Ghz as a max overclock.

    Flow, Jul 24, 2006
  5. SniffinPopRocks

    BillL Guest

    "Flow" <> wrote in message

    > "SniffinPopRocks" <> schreef in bericht
    >>
    >> "Andrew MacPherson" <> wrote in message

    >> > Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
    >> > difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
    >> > background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
    >> > x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
    >> > was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :)
    >> >
    >> > Andrew McP
    >> >

    >> I do a lot of .par and .rar and burning, so, if I can now do both at the
    >> same time, I think I'll see a huge difference, as is, a single rar
    >> extract
    >> or par recovery brings anything else to it's knees.
    >>
    >>Indeed,you wil see an increase on that level.

    > However,the general consensus is that for gaming your venice outperforms
    > the
    > x2 3800+.
    > Still,you don't mention that,so congratz on your purchase.
    > I noticed the price drop also here in holland.The x2 4600+ for the same
    > price I payed last year for my xp3800+ venice.
    > Which btw reaches 2.7Ghz as a max overclock.

    What if the game is coded for dual-core CPU's - e.g. Oblivion? Would the
    Venice Core beat it then?

    I'm tempted by the price cuts (particularly an X2 4400) but I'm also trying
    to control my dam credit card habit and save for things .... soooo many
    things to save for! ;o)

    BillL

    BillL, Jul 24, 2006
  6. SniffinPopRocks

    Guest

    Andrew MacPherson wrote:

    > Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
    > difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
    > background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
    > x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
    > was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :)
    >
    > Andrew McP

    Hey Andrew - I see you on alot of the same NG's, so I think we have
    similar tastes in games.
    I've got a single core Opteron that I've OC'd to 2.4 Ghz - have you not
    seen any games that take advantage of your dual-core? I'd be losing
    512k cache/core if I jumped on one of the cheaper 939 x2s, which may
    balance out much of the Mhz gain I could get, especially if nothing
    really utilizes the dual core properly. This is for a gaming-only
    system, btw.

    TIA,
    Kendt

    , Jul 24, 2006
  7. () wrote:

    > have you not seen any games that take advantage of your
    > dual-core?

    Not personally, but then there aren't many games which *can* take
    advantage yet. I don't think there will be many in the near future
    either, because there's a limit to what you can do out of sequence in a
    game. Sims like Falcon4, with a campaign engine separated from the main
    game are the exception.

    Andrew McP

    PS I bought the x2 mainly for editing videos, where it can save quite a
    bit of time in a long render.

    Andrew MacPherson, Jul 25, 2006
  8. SniffinPopRocks

    Guest

    Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    > () wrote:
    >
    > > have you not seen any games that take advantage of your
    > > dual-core?

    > Not personally, but then there aren't many games which *can* take
    > advantage yet. I don't think there will be many in the near future
    > either, because there's a limit to what you can do out of sequence in a
    > game. Sims like Falcon4, with a campaign engine separated from the main
    > game are the exception.
    >
    > Andrew McP
    >
    > PS I bought the x2 mainly for editing videos, where it can save quite a
    > bit of time in a long render.

    Thanks - I think I'll hold off for a bit. Sounds like for gaming it
    makes sense to wait on dual-core until my next complete system upgrade.
    Got a 2GB RAM upgrade instead :).

    Kendt

    , Jul 25, 2006
  9. SniffinPopRocks

    Flow Guest

    "BillL" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Flow" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "SniffinPopRocks" <> schreef in bericht
    > >>
    > >> "Andrew MacPherson" <> wrote in

    message

    the

    my

    > >> I do a lot of .par and .rar and burning, so, if I can now do both at

    the
    > >> same time, I think I'll see a huge difference, as is, a single rar
    > >> extract
    > >> or par recovery brings anything else to it's knees.
    > >>
    > >>Indeed,you wil see an increase on that level.

    > > However,the general consensus is that for gaming your venice outperforms
    > > the
    > > x2 3800+.
    > > Still,you don't mention that,so congratz on your purchase.
    > > I noticed the price drop also here in holland.The x2 4600+ for the same
    > > price I payed last year for my xp3800+ venice.
    > > Which btw reaches 2.7Ghz as a max overclock.
    > >

    > What if the game is coded for dual-core CPU's - e.g. Oblivion? Would the
    > Venice Core beat it then?
    >
    > There is no game at present coded for dual core.When they come ofcourse

    dual core cpu's will outperform single cores.
    But by that time the x2 4800+ will be priced the same as x2 3800+ today.
    Happy waiting for the dual core games :p

    Flow, Jul 27, 2006
  10. SniffinPopRocks

    been Guest

    On 25 Jul 2006 09:53:54 -0700, wrote:

    >Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    >> () wrote:
    >>
    >> > have you not seen any games that take advantage of your
    >> > dual-core?

    >> Not personally, but then there aren't many games which *can* take
    >> advantage yet. I don't think there will be many in the near future
    >> either, because there's a limit to what you can do out of sequence in a
    >> game. Sims like Falcon4, with a campaign engine separated from the main
    >> game are the exception.
    >>
    >> Andrew McP
    >>
    >> PS I bought the x2 mainly for editing videos, where it can save quite a
    >> bit of time in a long render.

    >Thanks - I think I'll hold off for a bit. Sounds like for gaming it
    >makes sense to wait on dual-core until my next complete system upgrade.
    > Got a 2GB RAM upgrade instead :).
    >
    >Kendt

    Dual core is a nice idea, but like everything, it takes forever for
    the technology to be really useful with the rest of the PC universe.
    By the time it's ready for prime time, we'll be using quad core and
    dual socket quad core designs. Newer motherboards will obsolete all
    these old AMD cpu's. You can bet they'll torpedo anything without
    DRM support.

    The real power improvement was the basic athlon64 design with the
    hypertransport buses and the on chip memory controller. I upgraded
    from a 1.8Ghz 2800 to a 2.4Ghz 3400 and the difference was a yawn,
    pretty much like the dual cores most of the time. The only real
    boost for AMD is overclocking to 2.7 or 2.8Ghz and that's not much
    of a rush for the trouble anyway.

    Bottom line, all you ever needed was a socket 754 2800 1.8Ghz chip
    with a gig of ram and a raptor.

    been , Jul 27, 2006
  11. SniffinPopRocks

    Ed Light Guest

    <been > wrote

    > Bottom line, all you ever needed was a socket 754 2800 1.8Ghz chip
    > with a gig of ram and a raptor.

    Not if you do something that only runs nicely on a faster one.

    My rail sim just reaches ok framerates at 2.4.

    And rendering a movie is many % faster at 2.4.

    But the cpu stays at 1.2 until the call comes.

    My Athlon XP at 2800+ couldn't time shift tv, but the A64 does it fine.

    For web, word processing you can still use a Duron 700 and 384 megs of
    memory with XP and it runs fine.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Ed Light, Jul 28, 2006
  12. SniffinPopRocks

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:05:08 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    > My Athlon XP at 2800+ couldn't time shift tv, but the A64 does it fine.

    I had no problem using a Duron 1600 clocked down to 1200MHz (12x100)
    running a MythTV frontend and playing back 1080i HDTV content using an
    FX5200 video card with XvMC enabled on it. Now it croaked at 1200MHz if I
    turned XvMC off, but clocked at 2000Mhz it ran fine.

    From the MythTV docs;

    A developer states that his AMD1800+ system can almost encode two MPEG-4
    video streams and watch one program simultaneously.

    Wes Newell, Jul 28, 2006
  13. SniffinPopRocks

    Ed Light Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:05:08 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
    >
    >> My Athlon XP at 2800+ couldn't time shift tv, but the A64 does it fine.

    > I had no problem using a Duron 1600 clocked down to 1200MHz (12x100)
    > running a MythTV frontend and playing back 1080i HDTV content using an
    > FX5200 video card with XvMC enabled on it. Now it croaked at 1200MHz if I
    > turned XvMC off, but clocked at 2000Mhz it ran fine.

    I would expect Linux to run better.

    I was using the Intervideo thing that came with my tv card.

    Note, no mpeg hardware acceleration on my tv card.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Ed Light, Jul 28, 2006
  14. SniffinPopRocks

    Revanant Guest

    been you scribbled in
    [alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd]
    on Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:40:57 -0700
    <>
    *
    > On 25 Jul 2006 09:53:54 -0700, wrote:
    >

    > >Andrew MacPherson wrote:

    > >> Not personally, but then there aren't many games which *can* take
    > >> advantage yet. I don't think there will be many in the near future
    > >> either, because there's a limit to what you can do out of sequence in a
    > >> game. Sims like Falcon4, with a campaign engine separated from the main
    > >> game are the exception.
    > >>
    > >> Andrew McP
    > >>
    > >> PS I bought the x2 mainly for editing videos, where it can save quite a
    > >> bit of time in a long render.

    > >Thanks - I think I'll hold off for a bit. Sounds like for gaming it
    > >makes sense to wait on dual-core until my next complete system upgrade.
    > > Got a 2GB RAM upgrade instead :).
    > >
    > >Kendt

    > Dual core is a nice idea, but like everything, it takes forever for
    > the technology to be really useful with the rest of the PC universe.
    > By the time it's ready for prime time, we'll be using quad core and
    > dual socket quad core designs. Newer motherboards will obsolete all
    > these old AMD cpu's. You can bet they'll torpedo anything without
    > DRM support.

    I agree to your kind of thinking, it's right on with the DRM. I wish we
    could get a chart of the changes in cpu's, like non-DRM and DRM'd.

    I FOR ONE CAN'T STAND DRM TECHNOLOGY. (oh did I shout in my last
    sentance?) I don't even own an IPOD! Who do these people think
    they are stuffing us with DRM? It's time to complain and take these
    people on. It's one thing for them to effect one of their songs
    that somebody downloaded, but DRM infects all mp3s! NOW I am
    thinking of going over to .ogg or another format to protect my
    music I bought years ago. Crap people! IT's crap! At least that
    is what I know of DRM. On second thought, I'm going to start
    changing over to another format today. It's sad isn't it?

    > The real power improvement was the basic athlon64 design with the
    > hypertransport buses and the on chip memory controller. I upgraded
    > from a 1.8Ghz 2800 to a 2.4Ghz 3400 and the difference was a yawn,
    > pretty much like the dual cores most of the time. The only real
    > boost for AMD is overclocking to 2.7 or 2.8Ghz and that's not much
    > of a rush for the trouble anyway.
    >
    > Bottom line, all you ever needed was a socket 754 2800 1.8Ghz chip
    > with a gig of ram and a raptor.

    I still use a 754 and slightly over clocking it too. I don't want it
    to burn out on me. :D

    All this new tech, it's lost in some peoples business translation.
    You know, long ago Hot Rods were the same way, you could work on
    a 1950s car or a 1960s car all you want. It wasn't easy but it wasn't
    hard either. Until they made it difficult in the newer cars to replace
    items. You now have to take out the whole engine to get to a crummy
    little part that needs to be replaced.

    Well I think I said enough. I don't like the new thoughts of tech.
    Someone's bottom line is in the mix here and their not making this fun
    anymore. I consider this technology will be lost to different ideas
    and sleek designs. Just like the Internet is lost in government control
    from it's initial designs. It was great to be apart of this since
    I bought a computer in 1986. (Tandy 1000Sx) But today we are seeing
    clamps on tech and human freedom through design. It's rather
    depressing.

    Revanant, Nov 8, 2006