    /\___/\
    ( )
    , Jul 22, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old Enlight one died and I
    > needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts).
    > You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I don't see many reviews
    > online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

    I wouldn't use that one because the Orion series is HEC's budget brand
    and is pretty bad. Here's a mostly negative thread about a 486W model:

    www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015121

    Notice how small its heatsinks are and the lack of any EMI filter
    (parts are missing from the circuit board). Without an EMI filter, the
    PSU can create tons of interference on AM radio and broadcast TV
    (sometimes even cable TV). And expert Jonny Guru (www.jonnyguru.com)
    pointed out that the high voltage filter capacitors are only 470 uF
    each, very, very small for a 485W PSU without automatic power factor
    correction (A-PFC). In comparison, here's a very good 300W PSU that
    looks more substantial, despite being rated for only 300W:

    http://static.flickr.com/38/75117436_1de7a3142d.jpg

    If you want very good quality at low prices, look for Fortron-Source,
    which also goes by brands like Sparkle, Hi-Q, PowerQ, Trend, and
    Powertech (not Powertek). Most of their model numbers start with ATX
    or FSP, but always verify by checking the UL certification number
    (under the "RU" or "9U" symbol) at www.ul.com. Hi-Q and PowerQ are
    budget models, but Fortron doesn't skimp much on quality for them,
    except for using sleeve bearing fans.

    A lot of the new Enlights are good because they're made by either
    Enhance or Delta. Again, check the UL numbers.
    larry moe 'n curly, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt larry moe 'n curly <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > > I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old Enlight one died and I
    > > needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts).
    > > You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I don't see many reviews
    > > online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

    > I wouldn't use that one because the Orion series is HEC's budget brand
    > and is pretty bad. Here's a mostly negative thread about a 486W model:

    > www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015121

    > Notice how small its heatsinks are and the lack of any EMI filter
    > (parts are missing from the circuit board). Without an EMI filter, the
    > PSU can create tons of interference on AM radio and broadcast TV
    > (sometimes even cable TV). And expert Jonny Guru (www.jonnyguru.com)
    > pointed out that the high voltage filter capacitors are only 470 uF
    > each, very, very small for a 485W PSU without automatic power factor
    > correction (A-PFC). In comparison, here's a very good 300W PSU that
    > looks more substantial, despite being rated for only 300W:

    > http://static.flickr.com/38/75117436_1de7a3142d.jpg

    > If you want very good quality at low prices, look for Fortron-Source,
    > which also goes by brands like Sparkle, Hi-Q, PowerQ, Trend, and
    > Powertech (not Powertek). Most of their model numbers start with ATX
    > or FSP, but always verify by checking the UL certification number
    > (under the "RU" or "9U" symbol) at www.ul.com. Hi-Q and PowerQ are
    > budget models, but Fortron doesn't skimp much on quality for them,
    > except for using sleeve bearing fans.

    > A lot of the new Enlights are good because they're made by either
    > Enhance or Delta. Again, check the UL numbers.

    Thanks. I will go get an Enlight or SeaSonic brand then. I am only trying thsi out since my
    friend didn't have any other spare PSUs for me to use to get my box in action.
    --
    "... human societies send their young men to war, weaver-ant societies send their old ladies." --Wilson and Holldobler
    /\___/\
    ( )
    , Jul 23, 2006
  4. job Guest

    There's really nothing wrong with that PS.It's low cost SLI capable PS.

    job, Jul 29, 2006
  5. job Guest

    "larry moe 'n curly" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old

    Enlight one died and I
    > > needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC)

    Orion HP585D (585 watts).
    > > You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I

    don't see many reviews
    > > online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

    > I wouldn't use that one because the Orion series is HEC's budget brand
    > and is pretty bad. Here's a mostly negative thread about a 486W model:
    >

    > www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015121
    >
    > Notice how small its heatsinks are and the lack of any EMI filter
    > (parts are missing from the circuit board). Without an EMI filter, the
    > PSU can create tons of interference on AM radio and broadcast TV
    > (sometimes even cable TV). And expert Jonny Guru (www.jonnyguru.com)
    > pointed out that the high voltage filter capacitors are only 470 uF
    > each, very, very small for a 485W PSU without automatic power factor
    > correction (A-PFC). In comparison, here's a very good 300W PSU that
    > looks more substantial, despite being rated for only 300W:
    >
    > http://static.flickr.com/38/75117436_1de7a3142d.jpg
    >
    > If you want very good quality at low prices, look for Fortron-Source,
    > which also goes by brands like Sparkle, Hi-Q, PowerQ, Trend, and
    > Powertech (not Powertek). Most of their model numbers start with ATX
    > or FSP, but always verify by checking the UL certification number
    > (under the "RU" or "9U" symbol) at www.ul.com. Hi-Q and PowerQ are
    > budget models, but Fortron doesn't skimp much on quality for them,
    > except for using sleeve bearing fans.
    >
    > A lot of the new Enlights are good because they're made by either
    > Enhance or Delta. Again, check the UL numbers.

    Scratch my last post.After looking closer I wouldn't trust this thing on any
    system I wanted to have for awhile.I can't belive the numbers they claim
    either. The $25 price tag is a trap.Beware.
    job, Jul 29, 2006
  6. Logan Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old Enlight one died and I
    > needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts).
    > You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I don't see many reviews
    > online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?
    >
    > I am using a mini-tower Linux box that doesn't do much except as a backup/secondary
    > machine/workstation, some compilings, and a private SSH and X server. I don't game on it either.
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)

    I've got one of those animals-could not be more pleased -- I think that
    I purchased it from M-wave (www.mwave.com)- Bought mainly from the
    vendor because they have a lot of items that I never heard of but always
    seemed to perform well.
    Logan, Jul 29, 2006
  7. Logan wrote:

    > I've got one of those animals-could not be more pleased -- I think that
    > I purchased it from M-wave (www.mwave.com)- Bought mainly from the
    > vendor because they have a lot of items that I never heard of but always
    > seemed to perform well.

    Please take a closer look at this 485W HEC Orion:

    http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/593/orion33im.jpg

    In addition to the lack of any EMI filter (I doubt it could have passed
    mandatory FCC certification) and the small heatsinks and input filter
    capacitors, there's only one choke on the output (donut coil in upper
    right) rather than the usual two, meaning it could overheat and break
    down at high power levels.

    Even most bad PSUs work OK because few computers draw more than about
    250W, but some 500W PSUs can barely put out even that much. HEC's
    products vary greatly in quality, with their Orion series being their
    worst and their Ace, Win, and Windmill lines being better. If your HEC
    is an Orion, I suggest switching to something better, such as a
    Fortron-Source.
    larry moe 'n curly, Jul 29, 2006
  8. kony Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 23:43:32 GMT, "job" <>
    wrote:

    >There's really nothing wrong with that PS.It's low cost SLI capable PS.

    If even remotely close relation to the hec orion 485d shown
    in the prior link (also below), it's not even fit for a
    basic all-integrated modern system based around AMD or Intel
    CPUs, not with even one video card let alone 2.

    Why would you state otherwise?
    Do you have one?
    Has it ran long enough to be appropriately qualified for
    long term use? A candle burnt at both ends may burn
    brighter, but leaves behind a mess as well as a far far
    shorter life.

    kony, Jul 29, 2006
  9. kony Guest

    On 28 Jul 2006 22:55:41 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"
    <> wrote:

    >Logan wrote:
    >
    >> I've got one of those animals-could not be more pleased -- I think that
    >> I purchased it from M-wave (www.mwave.com)- Bought mainly from the
    >> vendor because they have a lot of items that I never heard of but always
    >> seemed to perform well.

    >Please take a closer look at this 485W HEC Orion:
    >
    > http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/593/orion33im.jpg
    >
    >In addition to the lack of any EMI filter (I doubt it could have passed
    >mandatory FCC certification) and the small heatsinks and input filter
    >capacitors, there's only one choke on the output (donut coil in upper
    >right) rather than the usual two, meaning it could overheat and break
    >down at high power levels.
    >
    >Even most bad PSUs work OK because few computers draw more than about
    >250W, but some 500W PSUs can barely put out even that much. HEC's
    >products vary greatly in quality, with their Orion series being their
    >worst and their Ace, Win, and Windmill lines being better. If your HEC
    >is an Orion, I suggest switching to something better, such as a
    >Fortron-Source.

    Yep, the old Antecs were HEC and not too bad, though that
    Antec PP303 HEC (300W) was built better than the above
    linked pseudo-485W unit.
    kony, Jul 29, 2006
  10. Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt wrote:
    > Hello.

    > I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old Enlight one died and I
    > needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts).
    > You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I don't see many reviews
    > online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

    > I am using a mini-tower Linux box that doesn't do much except as a backup/secondary
    > machine/workstation, some compilings, and a private SSH and X server. I don't game on it either.

    > Thank you in advance. :)

    Due to bad comments about this PSU brand and model, I swapped the temporary PSU to an Antec
    SmartPower SP-350 PSU (350 watts). I hope this one is a lot better. :)
    --
    "This is the ant. Treat it with respect. For it may very well be the next dominant lifeform of our planet." --Empire of the Ants movie
    /\___/\
    ( )
    , Jul 30, 2006
  11. tomana

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    the ignorance abounds

    contrary to most of the comments in this thread, please allow me to give a bit of my professional background:

    I just bought a HEC HP585D 585W Dual +12V @ 39A and it's a good PS. Not the best,
    but very good. Very quiet until gaming with a GTX 260 Core 216. Here's my hardware:

    - ABIT AN9 32X mobo
    - Athlon64 X2 6000+ (Windsor 125W) cpu
    - 1 DDR2 2GB
    - DVD R/W drive
    - SBLive Audigy 2
    - TV Tuner card PCI
    - various 120mm fans
    - 2 SATA HDD's

    I have no doubt I can run SLI in my rig with this supply. Will it last in the long run?
    Many have said it has, but it does only have a one year warranty (what were you
    expecting for $25?). This is a very good, proven reliable PS (read the newwegg.com
    reviews ... shows 68% on the 5 star rating out of 164 reviews and that's just about
    the same as the OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W which has 70% out
    of 207 reviews - the HEC cost $25 after S/H and the OCZ cost $80 {}^ )
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    tomana, Jan 20, 2010
  12. tomana

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    ok, just installed the OCZ, a MUCH higher quality PS. The HEC does
    the job but sounds like a freight train while under load and the OCZ stays
    whisper quiet even during heavy loads. Way heavier supply, nylon net tubes
    for the wires, etc.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    tomana, Jan 20, 2010
  13. jbodin

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Not sure if you're still active on these forums, Tomana, but thank you very much for posting this -- I have an Orion HP585D and I was unsure whether or not it would work with my new GTX260 Core 216. My processor is an Athlon64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane 65W), and I've also got a SoundBlaster Live! Audigy 2, but no other cards installed, which means my system is going to be using even LESS power than yours (since you've got a 125W CPU and a video capture card installed) so it sounds like I should have no problems powering the GTX260.
    jbodin, Jan 29, 2011