Hi folks...........

Discussion in 'Asus' started by S., Dec 24, 2005.

  1. S.

    S. Guest

    Nice to find this group, hope your all ready for Xmas ! My new kit arrived
    yesterday, and I started to assemble it last night. Finished off this
    morning, but........no joy.

    I have an A8V-Deluxe (with Wi-Fi) mobo, and an AMD XP3800+ dual core chip.
    New (600w) power supply and Corsair 2 x 512mb DRAM.

    Everything was put together using all anti-static precautions and great
    care. I took my (perfectly working) ATI Radeon 9800 Pro out of my old
    system.

    Every time I power on, there is nothing other than the basic signal from my
    graphics card to the monitor (no BIOS screens) and the vocal POST message
    says: "System failed due to CPU overclocking". Everything (fans, disks etc)
    seem to be spinning fine.

    So I followed the instructions (exactly, as per manual and website) to reset
    the RTC CMOS, restored everything, retried, but same. So I dropped my Radeon
    back into the old system - works fine.

    Please don't tell me it's a D.O.A. board. Have I missed anything ?

    Steve.

    S., Dec 24, 2005

  2. S.

    Andrew Guest

    "S." <> wrote in message
    > Nice to find this group, hope your all ready for Xmas ! My new kit arrived
    > yesterday, and I started to assemble it last night. Finished off this
    > morning, but........no joy.
    >
    > I have an A8V-Deluxe (with Wi-Fi) mobo, and an AMD XP3800+ dual core chip.
    > New (600w) power supply and Corsair 2 x 512mb DRAM.
    >
    > Everything was put together using all anti-static precautions and great
    > care. I took my (perfectly working) ATI Radeon 9800 Pro out of my old
    > system.
    >
    > Every time I power on, there is nothing other than the basic signal from
    > my graphics card to the monitor (no BIOS screens) and the vocal POST
    > message says: "System failed due to CPU overclocking". Everything (fans,
    > disks etc) seem to be spinning fine.
    >
    > So I followed the instructions (exactly, as per manual and website) to
    > reset the RTC CMOS, restored everything, retried, but same. So I dropped
    > my Radeon back into the old system - works fine.
    >
    > Please don't tell me it's a D.O.A. board. Have I missed anything ?
    >

    > Steve.

    Make sure you have all of the motherboard power connectors plugged in. The
    will be an additional 4 pin connector for CPU power which is often
    overlooked.

    Andy

    Andrew, Dec 24, 2005

  3. S.

    DDC Guest

    Le Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:10:05 -0000, "Andrew"
    <> a écrit :

    >"S." <> wrote in message
    >> Nice to find this group, hope your all ready for Xmas ! My new kit arrived
    >> yesterday, and I started to assemble it last night. Finished off this
    >> morning, but........no joy.
    >>
    >> I have an A8V-Deluxe (with Wi-Fi) mobo, and an AMD XP3800+ dual core chip.
    >> New (600w) power supply and Corsair 2 x 512mb DRAM.
    >>
    >> Everything was put together using all anti-static precautions and great
    >> care. I took my (perfectly working) ATI Radeon 9800 Pro out of my old
    >> system.
    >>
    >> Every time I power on, there is nothing other than the basic signal from
    >> my graphics card to the monitor (no BIOS screens) and the vocal POST
    >> message says: "System failed due to CPU overclocking". Everything (fans,
    >> disks etc) seem to be spinning fine.
    >>
    >> So I followed the instructions (exactly, as per manual and website) to
    >> reset the RTC CMOS, restored everything, retried, but same. So I dropped
    >> my Radeon back into the old system - works fine.
    >>
    >> Please don't tell me it's a D.O.A. board. Have I missed anything ?
    >>

    >> Steve.

    did you plug the video card molex connector. maybe you've just mist
    that....

    Hope your system work soon, i did upgrade in the same as you, but i
    couldn't find any cpu... snif snif.... i got every thing but the
    F$%?$" cpu...

    DDC, Dec 24, 2005
  4. S.

    S. Guest

    "DDC" <> wrote in message
    > Le Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:10:05 -0000, "Andrew"
    > <> a écrit :
    >

    >>"S." <> wrote in message
    >>> Nice to find this group, hope your all ready for Xmas ! My new kit
    >>> arrived
    >>> yesterday, and I started to assemble it last night. Finished off this
    >>> morning, but........no joy.
    >>>
    >>> I have an A8V-Deluxe (with Wi-Fi) mobo, and an AMD XP3800+ dual core
    >>> chip.
    >>> New (600w) power supply and Corsair 2 x 512mb DRAM.
    >>>
    >>> Everything was put together using all anti-static precautions and great
    >>> care. I took my (perfectly working) ATI Radeon 9800 Pro out of my old
    >>> system.
    >>>
    >>> Every time I power on, there is nothing other than the basic signal from
    >>> my graphics card to the monitor (no BIOS screens) and the vocal POST
    >>> message says: "System failed due to CPU overclocking". Everything (fans,
    >>> disks etc) seem to be spinning fine.
    >>>
    >>> So I followed the instructions (exactly, as per manual and website) to
    >>> reset the RTC CMOS, restored everything, retried, but same. So I dropped
    >>> my Radeon back into the old system - works fine.
    >>>
    >>> Please don't tell me it's a D.O.A. board. Have I missed anything ?
    >>>

    >>> Steve.

    > did you plug the video card molex connector. maybe you've just mist
    > that....
    >

    > Hope your system work soon, i did upgrade in the same as you, but i
    > couldn't find any cpu... snif snif.... i got every thing but the
    > F$%?$" cpu...

    Thanks Andrew / DDC,

    Yes, both power connectors firmly on. I double checked everything via the
    manual (unlike me, ICT Professional, "manuals, pah !" ).

    Still the same, sadly.

    That lovely Radeon really beeps (with a red message) if you forget the molex
    :) as I did when I re-tested in my old system.

    Bugger ! Beginning to suspect a duff AGP slot :-(

    Steve.

    S., Dec 24, 2005
  5. S.

    PB Guest

    S. wrote:
    > Nice to find this group, hope your all ready for Xmas ! My new kit arrived
    > yesterday, and I started to assemble it last night. Finished off this
    > morning, but........no joy.
    >
    > I have an A8V-Deluxe (with Wi-Fi) mobo, and an AMD XP3800+ dual core chip.
    > New (600w) power supply and Corsair 2 x 512mb DRAM.
    >
    > Everything was put together using all anti-static precautions and great
    > care. I took my (perfectly working) ATI Radeon 9800 Pro out of my old
    > system.
    >
    > Every time I power on, there is nothing other than the basic signal from my
    > graphics card to the monitor (no BIOS screens) and the vocal POST message
    > says: "System failed due to CPU overclocking". Everything (fans, disks etc)
    > seem to be spinning fine.
    >
    > So I followed the instructions (exactly, as per manual and website) to reset
    > the RTC CMOS, restored everything, retried, but same. So I dropped my Radeon
    > back into the old system - works fine.
    >
    > Please don't tell me it's a D.O.A. board. Have I missed anything ?
    >

    > Steve.

    Try a PCI video adapter if you have one.

    Also, if even possible, check which BIOS was shipped with your new
    motherboard/mainboard. Then verify the dual core is supported with
    [that] BIOS at the Asus web site. There are some instructions on how to
    update the BIOS "blind", but I cannot enumerate the steps so some
    Googling should assist or another reply here.

    p00lb0y

    PB, Dec 24, 2005
  6. S.

    DDC Guest

    Le Sat, 24 Dec 2005 15:16:14 -0000, "S." <> a
    écrit :

    >"DDC" <> wrote in message
    >> Le Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:10:05 -0000, "Andrew"
    >> <> a écrit :
    >>

    >>>"S." <> wrote in message

    >> did you plug the video card molex connector. maybe you've just mist
    >> that....
    >>

    >> Hope your system work soon, i did upgrade in the same as you, but i
    >> couldn't find any cpu... snif snif.... i got every thing but the
    >> F$%?$" cpu...
    >>

    >Thanks Andrew / DDC,
    >
    >Yes, both power connectors firmly on. I double checked everything via the
    >manual (unlike me, ICT Professional, "manuals, pah !" ).
    >
    >Still the same, sadly.
    >
    >That lovely Radeon really beeps (with a red message) if you forget the molex
    >:) as I did when I re-tested in my old system.
    >
    >Bugger ! Beginning to suspect a duff AGP slot :-(

    it's via chipset also.

    >Steve.

    Is your agp video card overclocked... i don't think it that but here's
    my guess. Maybe the mobo you've purchase has some protection in it for
    hardware change or some thing like temp monitoring fan spinning or
    some other stuff like that.

    the point is around the vga card so maybe to get it at it's stock
    speed could result in a operating system...

    DDC, Dec 24, 2005
  7. S.

    S. Guest

    "PB" <> wrote in message
    > S. wrote:
    >>
    >> So I followed the instructions (exactly, as per manual and website) to
    >> reset the RTC CMOS, restored everything, retried, but same. So I dropped
    >> my Radeon back into the old system - works fine.
    >>
    >> Please don't tell me it's a D.O.A. board. Have I missed anything ?
    >>

    > Try a PCI video adapter if you have one.
    >
    > Also, if even possible, check which BIOS was shipped with your new
    > motherboard/mainboard. Then verify the dual core is supported with [that]
    > BIOS at the Asus web site. There are some instructions on how to update
    > the BIOS "blind", but I cannot enumerate the steps so some Googling should
    > assist or another reply here.

    Graphics card not overclocked, and never has been ; still 378 / 338 (I think
    ;-) !

    Dont' have a PC card (sob!), graphics was integrated on previous mobo. I did
    check around the ASUS site, and wondered about the dual core, but the
    website that I bought it from does indicate that folks have dropped X2's in
    and had no problems. I'll continue to look for "blind" BIOS flashing (sad
    gits Xmas; it's all bollox !!!) ; guess I'll have to fit a floppy after all
    !

    I've lodged a support request on the UK website, so I'll see if they get
    back to me on Wed (?).

    Thanks for your replies, have a good break.

    S., Dec 24, 2005
  8. S.

    Malcolm Guest

    S. wrote:

    > "PB" <> wrote in message
    >> S. wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So I followed the instructions (exactly, as per manual and website) to
    >>> reset the RTC CMOS, restored everything, retried, but same. So I dropped
    >>> my Radeon back into the old system - works fine.
    >>>
    >>> Please don't tell me it's a D.O.A. board. Have I missed anything ?
    >>>

    >> Try a PCI video adapter if you have one.
    >>
    >> Also, if even possible, check which BIOS was shipped with your new
    >> motherboard/mainboard. Then verify the dual core is supported with
    >> [that]
    >> BIOS at the Asus web site. There are some instructions on how to update
    >> the BIOS "blind", but I cannot enumerate the steps so some Googling
    >> should assist or another reply here.
    >>

    > Graphics card not overclocked, and never has been ; still 378 / 338 (I
    > think ;-) !
    >
    > Dont' have a PC card (sob!), graphics was integrated on previous mobo. I
    > did check around the ASUS site, and wondered about the dual core, but the
    > website that I bought it from does indicate that folks have dropped X2's
    > in and had no problems. I'll continue to look for "blind" BIOS flashing
    > (sad gits Xmas; it's all bollox !!!) ; guess I'll have to fit a floppy
    > after all !
    >
    > I've lodged a support request on the UK website, so I'll see if they get
    > back to me on Wed (?).
    >
    > Thanks for your replies, have a good break.

    Hi
    Support for the 3800+ X2 is from BIOS rev 1014, one of the fixes is "Fix
    revision E6 CPU Overclocking problem"

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage
    =en-us&model=A8V%20Deluxe

    http://tinyurl.com/9cqvf

    Try Alt-F2 during post and see if the ASUS EZ Flash utility works (Section
    4.1.4 in manual), if so then you could update BIOS via a floppy with a
    version =>1014.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Dec 24, 2005
  9. S.

    S. Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > S. wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks for your replies, have a good break.

    > Hi
    > Support for the 3800+ X2 is from BIOS rev 1014, one of the fixes is "Fix
    > revision E6 CPU Overclocking problem"
    >
    > http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage
    > =en-us&model=A8V%20Deluxe
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/9cqvf
    >
    > Try Alt-F2 during post and see if the ASUS EZ Flash utility works (Section
    > 4.1.4 in manual), if so then you could update BIOS via a floppy with a
    > version =>1014.

    Hi All,

    Did get EZ Flash to work after I d/l'd BIOS ver 1017 (was 1010)
    ...........works a treat.

    Thanks all.

    S.

    S., Dec 28, 2005
  10. S.

    Malcolm Guest

    S. wrote:

    > "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    >> S. wrote:
    >>

    >>> Thanks for your replies, have a good break.

    >> Hi
    >> Support for the 3800+ X2 is from BIOS rev 1014, one of the fixes is "Fix
    >> revision E6 CPU Overclocking problem"
    >>
    >> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage
    >> =en-us&model=A8V%20Deluxe
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/9cqvf
    >>
    >> Try Alt-F2 during post and see if the ASUS EZ Flash utility works
    >> (Section 4.1.4 in manual), if so then you could update BIOS via a floppy
    >> with a version =>1014.
    >>

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Did get EZ Flash to work after I d/l'd BIOS ver 1017 (was 1010)
    > ..........works a treat.
    >
    > Thanks all.
    >
    > S.

    Good to hear it's all working ok now :)