Homebuilt VS HP

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by creAtive oBscura, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
    right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
    build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=dp_olp_2/103-3870160-1952668?_encoding=UTF8

    The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
    250 GB hard drive
    1 GB of RAM
    LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
    9-in-1 memory card reader
    ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    Mouse/Keyboard

    The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
    Microsoft Windows XP Home
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
    Drive
    1 GB of RAM
    LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
    52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
    430W Power Supply
    Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
    Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard

    I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
    Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
    appreciated, thanks.

    JSV
    creAtive oBscura, Apr 20, 2006

  2. creAtive oBscura

    butthead Guest

    On 19 Apr 2006 20:22:55 -0700, "creAtive oBscura"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
    >right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
    >build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com

    heheheheheh... look beavis, he said HP. heheheheh...
    butthead, Apr 20, 2006

  3. creAtive oBscura

    Scotter Guest

    The newegg system looks to be a better performer and would probably be more
    easy to upgrade from what I hear of HP.

    --
    Scotter
    Tyan Thunder K8WE

    Scotter, Apr 20, 2006
  4. "creAtive oBscura" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
    > right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
    > build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=dp_olp_2/103-3870160-1952668?_encoding=UTF8
    >
    > The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
    > AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
    > 250 GB hard drive
    > 1 GB of RAM
    > LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
    > 9-in-1 memory card reader
    > ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    > Mouse/Keyboard
    >
    > The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
    > Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    > Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
    > Drive
    > 1 GB of RAM
    > LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
    > 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
    > 430W Power Supply
    > Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
    > Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
    >
    > I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
    > Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
    > appreciated, thanks.
    >
    > JSV

    Does you friend intend to play games?
    I ask, because both the HP and your video choice (depending on the specific
    6200TC card selected) use shared memory. For a little more, you can get a
    card with a full compliment of video memory.
    What types of software will your friend be using?
    Answers to these types of questions drive component choices.
    In general, my *opinion* is that you're better off building the PC from
    known components, rather than purchasing a "price point" PC from a
    manufacturer with a not-so-hot reputation for quality and support. With the
    components, you know exactly what you have, and (having assembled the PC)
    how to deal with it.

    By selecting a retail motherboard, you get full BIOS features for better
    control and upgradeability. Whatever motherboard the HP uses will have a
    bare bones BIOS without many of the adjustments available in the retail
    board.

    All this presupposes that you and/or your friend are comfortable with the
    assembly process.
    Peter van der Goes, Apr 20, 2006
  5. creAtive oBscura

    Art Guest

    > I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
    > right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
    > build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=dp_olp_2/103-3870160-1952668?_encoding=UTF8
    >
    > The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
    > AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
    > 250 GB hard drive
    > 1 GB of RAM
    > LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
    > 9-in-1 memory card reader
    > ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    > Mouse/Keyboard
    >
    > The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
    > Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    > Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
    > Drive
    > 1 GB of RAM
    > LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
    > 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
    > 430W Power Supply
    > Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
    > Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
    >
    > I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
    > Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
    > appreciated, thanks.
    >
    > JSV

    One more thing to consider... which may or may not be an issue. Once you
    build it, you own support for it. Your friend will be calling you everytime
    he can't do what he wants to on it. With some folks that's not an issue,
    with some it is. I built quite a few for friends and stopped that because
    all I was getting was phone calls like "I just got this software and it
    won't work on the computer..." Even though I didn't buy the software or
    recommend it, they thought I needed to work on it because it was "the
    computer I built for them". If you buy from HP or Dell (moreso my
    recommendation) they call them every time, not you.

    Just my .02. YMMV.

    Art
    Art, Apr 20, 2006
  6. creAtive oBscura

    Hawk Guest

    > I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
    > right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
    > build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=dp_olp_2/103-3870160-1952668?_encoding=UTF8
    >
    > The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
    > AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
    > 250 GB hard drive
    > 1 GB of RAM
    > LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
    > 9-in-1 memory card reader
    > ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    > Mouse/Keyboard
    >
    > The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
    > Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    > Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
    > Drive
    > 1 GB of RAM
    > LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
    > 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
    > 430W Power Supply
    > Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
    > Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
    >
    > I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
    > Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
    > appreciated, thanks.

    IMHO it is not worthing building a mid-low end pc yourself (especially when you
    need an OS and monitor). The only way you save any significant cash is when you
    are building something a bit closer to the bleeding edge, as that is where all the
    margin is in the OEM pc business.

    As an example...my latest system build cost me $1350 (case, ps, and all internal
    components). A system with identical specs as configured on the Alienware site
    was over $2100 (neither price included a monitor). I bought a 7900GT Superclock,
    2G of RAM, AMD X2, Antec case, etc...

    If HP is offering essentially similar performance/bigger HD for less money with a
    full warranty, I'd buy the HP.

    I am assuming that since you are not buying higher end components you are not
    worried about the slimmed down bios configurability inherent in an off the shelf
    pc. If you demand full and complete control of every tweakable option pertaining
    to clock speeds, memory timing, etc you will not want to buy an HP, Dell, etc.

    It is also nice that HP has already ironed out any potential problems that you
    sometimes have to deal with when building a system yourself.

    (*>
    Hawk, Apr 20, 2006
  7. creAtive oBscura

    VanShania Guest

    From Hardocp, may help with your decision

    On the Intel platform you need at least a 3.2 GHz to overcome CPU
    bottlenecking in games. If you have anything slower than 3.2GHz, your CPU
    may be holding back the performance of your video card. We saw absolutely no
    benefit to the faster Front Side Bus of the Pentium 4 3.4 EE in games. For
    all intents and purposes you will get the same gameplay experience out of a
    3.4 EE as you will a 3.2 D.

    The AMD Athlon 64 processors provide a slightly better gaming experience
    than the Intel Pentium 4 and Pentium series processors. We found that
    sometimes even the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ will bottleneck your video card. In
    most of our gameplay testing though, the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ did not
    bottleneck our video cards at all allowing our GPUs to reach their full
    potential. There were literally no real gameplay advantages between an
    Athlon FX-60 and Athlon X2 4800+ in our testing.

    We have to give a nudge in the direction of the AMD AthlonT 64 line of
    processors in real-world gaming. The AMD AthlonT 64 series of processors are
    likely to provide the more serious gamer with a better experience.

    Obviously the differences we have seen here are not as exaggerated as those
    you might see elsewhere using canned and synthetic benchmarks. In fact
    real-world gaming shows a different story than will be told by benchmarks
    alone and that is exactly why we use real-world gameplay in our evaluations.

    Yes, both Intel and AMD make good processors for playing 3D games, and don't
    let anyone else tell you otherwise. We have also done incredible amounts of
    gaming on OEM systems that are powered by both Intel and AMD CPUs in our [H]
    Consumer desktop system evaluations that will show you both Intel and AMD
    are good for gaming.

    For our readers that don't live and die by whether or not they got in 4
    hours on a Counter Strike Source server after work, and simply want solid
    gaming action on a newer mid or high end video card, an AMD Athlon 64
    running at 2.0GHz or Intel Pentium at 3GHz will likely meet your needs. Be
    aware that as your Intel CPUs start dropping below 3GHz and your AMD CPUs
    below 2GHz, you are likely going to see it negatively impact your system's
    gaming ability depending on your video card.

    For our died-in-the-wool gamers that are spending a few hundred dollars or
    more on your high end video cards, make sure your AMD Athlon 64 processors
    are at least 2.4GHz in processor speed, and your Intel processors clock in
    at least at the 3.2GHz mark. If you let your CPUs fall below these levels,
    odds are that you are not using your GPU to its fullest ability.

    --
    GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
    2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5

    3DMark 05 Free Scores- Overall 1815, Cpu 4535
    Max Performance Graphic Settings, 1024X768

    Games I'm Playing- Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
    Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground
    2,
    Civ IV

    VanShania, Apr 20, 2006
  8. creAtive oBscura

    Dylan C Guest

    Art wrote:
    > One more thing to consider... which may or may not be an issue. Once you
    > build it, you own support for it. Your friend will be calling you everytime
    > he can't do what he wants to on it. With some folks that's not an issue,
    > with some it is. I built quite a few for friends and stopped that because
    > all I was getting was phone calls like "I just got this software and it
    > won't work on the computer..." Even though I didn't buy the software or
    > recommend it, they thought I needed to work on it because it was "the
    > computer I built for them". If you buy from HP or Dell (moreso my
    > recommendation) they call them every time, not you.
    >
    > Just my .02. YMMV.
    >
    > Art

    You speak the truth. I build all my own but always recommend
    off-the-shelf for my friends and family because I don't need them
    calling me evertime they mess something up. Also, for for budget
    systems its near impossible to beat the price of an HP or Dell. Between
    the two, I recommend Dells.

    -Dylan C
    Dylan C, Apr 21, 2006
  9. creAtive oBscura

    Fishface Guest

    creAtive oBscura wrote:
    > The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
    > AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor

    I hope you realize that this is not an X2 processor--
    it is a single core that runs at 2.4GHz. The X2 has
    dual cores that run at 2GHz. Since this *is* the
    overclocking group, I feel compelled to say that
    you could overclock a processor costing half the
    price to the level of that in the HP system, using
    the money saved to buy a better graphics card.
    This assumes that games are to be played. If not,
    liquor is nice...
    Fishface, Apr 21, 2006
  10. creAtive oBscura

    VanShania Guest

    It actually looks like the system from newegg is the better one. Vid card is
    cheap but its better than that onboard crap hp has. Don't forget to check
    out places like Falcon Northwest, Voodoo pc. Dealing with places like dell
    and maybe hp, your stuck with them because only their parts will fit.

    --
    GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
    2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5
    ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT
    Moniter-Viewsonic A91f 19in

    VanShania, Apr 21, 2006
  11. creAtive oBscura