Hot, Hot Prescott

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Wilfred Xavier Pickles, Aug 14, 2009.

  1. I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
    motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
    cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.

    Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
    uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
    wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
    to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.

    Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
    at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
    defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
    definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.

    There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
    cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.

    Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
    Intel D865Gxxx board?

    My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
    cpu cycles are available.

    Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
    cpu intensive programs?

    Thx,
    Will

    Wilfred Xavier Pickles, Aug 14, 2009

  2. Wilfred Xavier Pickles

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Aug 14, 3:59 pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles <>
    wrote:
    > I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
    > motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
    > cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.
    >
    > Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
    > uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
    > wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
    > to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.
    >
    > Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
    > at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
    > defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
    > definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.
    >
    > There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
    > cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.
    >
    > Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
    > Intel D865Gxxx board?
    >
    > My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
    > cpu cycles are available.
    >
    > Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
    > cpu intensive programs?

    Have you considered the dumpster option?

    There are so many deals on new, used, or refurbished computers with
    plenty of muscle and none of Prescott's problems.

    I have a 3.0 GHz Northwood doing gofer duties (email, etc.). Surely
    there must be someone who wants to get rid of one.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Aug 15, 2009

  3. "Wilfred Xavier Pickles" <> wrote in message

    > I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
    > motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
    > cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.
    >
    > Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
    > uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
    > wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
    > to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.
    >
    > Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
    > at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
    > defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
    > definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.
    >
    > There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
    > cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.
    >
    > Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
    > Intel D865Gxxx board?
    >
    > My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
    > cpu cycles are available.
    >
    > Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
    > cpu intensive programs?
    >
    > Thx,
    > Will

    If you are in the UK then eBuyer still have some skt 478 Northwood CPU's on
    sale.

    Bob

    Robert Brereton, Aug 15, 2009
  4. On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Robert Myers <> wrote:

    >Have you considered the dumpster option?

    This (and perhaps all) Prescotts surely, surely qualify for such.

    Kinda hate to spend any $ on it. Not at all certain it's the cpu
    and not the temp sensor, but ...

    >There are so many deals on new, used, or refurbished computers with
    >plenty of muscle and none of Prescott's problems.
    >
    >I have a 3.0 GHz Northwood doing gofer duties (email, etc.). Surely
    >there must be someone who wants to get rid of one.

    The manual sez:

    The board is designed to support the following:
    • Intel Pentium 4 processors in an mPGA478 processor socket with a 400/533/800 MHz system
    bus
    • Intel Celeron processors in an mPGA478 processor socket with a 400 MHz system bus
    See the Intel web site listed below for the most up-to-date list of supported processors.
    For information about Refer to
    Supported processors for the D865GVHZ board
    http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/hz/hz_proc.htm

    And, of course, the fine, fine Intel URL sez "Page Not Found". :)
    Actual table is:
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865gvhz/sb/CS-026964.htm

    Doesn't distinguish between Prescott and Northwood. Due to the
    "Board Revision note", I suppose I'd have to open the case just to
    determine which Northwood would definitely suffice.

    Not much impressed with Intel product/support these days.

    Thx,
    Will

    Wilfred Xavier Pickles, Aug 15, 2009
  5. Wilfred Xavier Pickles

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Aug 15, 3:32 pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles <>
    wrote:

    > Doesn't distinguish between Prescott and Northwood. Due to the
    > "Board Revision note", I suppose I'd have to open the case just to
    > determine which Northwood would definitely suffice.

    According to Pricewatch, a 3Ghz Northwood (512K cache) can be had for
    about $30. It seems unlikely to me that there would be an
    incompatibility problem Prescott->Northwood. More likely the other
    way around.

    At $30, what you are risking mostly is your time. I *hate* installing
    heatsinks, but, if were in a mood to fiddle, I'd risk it and be
    prepared to throw the whole mess away if it went sour for some
    reason. If it works, you'll recoup your investment in saved electric
    bills within a year.

    > Not much impressed with Intel product/support these days.

    That's a shame. Intel Core i7 920 is one of the most implausible
    bargains I've ever seen. You can buy them for $200. No wonder Intel
    is going to stop making them with three memory channels.

    Intel is pretty hostile to hardware hackers. That's a fact. They
    don't really want you as a customer all that much, unless you're going
    to buy more of their motherboards and chipsets each time you buy one
    of their processors. I don't think they really want people like you
    and me combing through their documents so as to get it right. AMD, on
    the other hand, knows that losing programmers with screwdrivers would
    be a big loss.

    As a blunder in the marketplace, Prescott really stands out (exceeded
    only by Itanium because of the relative investments). I suspect that
    most of those chips went into machines that sat at deskside doing
    almost nothing all day, so no one that mattered (i.e.; corporate
    buyers, naive home users) noticed what a dog it was. Intel didn't
    really get away with one there, but they didn't get hurt as badly as
    they might have.

    In the end, right now Intel has the better product, no matter how much
    of a dog Prescott was.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Aug 15, 2009