    Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
    300g hd, DVD burner

    Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

    MeNotHome, Apr 19, 2006

  2. MeNotHome

    KC Computers Guest

    > How big of a powersupply do I need
    > Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
    > 300g hd, DVD burner
    > Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

    A good quality 400W-550W is plenty for most systems and a good
    brand is Antec or Enermax.

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
    E-mail: Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

    KC Computers, Apr 19, 2006

  3. MeNotHome

    Mark A Guest

    "MeNotHome" <dtfa@****nospm****insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > How big of a powersupply do I need
    > Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
    > 300g hd, DVD burner
    >
    > Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

    Seasonic S12- 380 or 430.

    Mark A, Apr 19, 2006
  4. MeNotHome

    DRS Guest

    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

    > ... and possible brand?

    I have an Antec NeoHE 500 which is going great guns. This question has been
    asked and answered many times before. Google this group and similar ones
    for the past year or so to see the discussions.

    DRS, Apr 19, 2006
  5. MeNotHome

    BC Guest

    MeNotHome wrote:
    > How big of a powersupply do I need
    > Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
    > 300g hd, DVD burner
    >
    > Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

    Rock solid: $99: 3 year warranty

    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47ATX

    ~ $200: 5 year warranty, super solid; probably overkill....

    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI

    Seasonic 430: $96; 3 year warranty.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151023

    This 430 unit is about as low a wattage that I would recommend....

    Seasonic 500: $126

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151024

    This Enermax unit is good:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103458

    ~ $99....

    Seasonic builds their units to be quieter than most.

    PC Power & Cooling built with engineering/aircraft style "reserves",
    i.e. they are overengineered a bit....

    HTH,

    BC

    BC, Apr 19, 2006
  6. MeNotHome

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, MeNotHome
    <dtfa@****nospm****insightbb.com> wrote:

    > How big of a powersupply do I need
    > Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
    > 300g hd, DVD burner
    >
    > Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

    Since you won't tell us anything about the hardware...

    Processor (www.amdcompare.com)

    FX60 110W - assuming Vcore is 90% efficient, (110W/12V)*(1/0.90)=10.2A
    http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADAFX60DAA6CD

    Video card

    X1900XTX 12V@10A
    (or 6600GT 12V@4A, or anywhere in between)

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-consumption2006.html
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce6600gt-oc_3.html
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html

    Cooling fans - allocate 12V@0.5A

    Hard drive - allocate 12V@2A spinup, 12V@0.5A desktop idle
    - a separate calc for spinup current is only needed
    when a large number of drives are being used.

    DVD - nameplate says 12V@1.5A, and no real data is available.

    I'll further assume you are buying an ATX 2.0+ power supply (the
    latest spec and type, with 24 pin main power connector, and a
    separate 12V 2x2 connector for the processor). As seen here:

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

    12V2 (feeds CPU) = 10.2A
    12V1 (the rest) = 10A (fat video) + 0.5 + 0.5 + 1.5 = 12.5A

    This Seasonic 430W is +12V1@14A, +12V2@15A and is probably
    as small a supply as I would use. If your video card is not the
    mighty X1900XTX, then the amount of 12V1 needed won't be quite as
    large. And you can look up the real processor you are going to
    buy, on amdcompare.com (an AMD site).

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151023

    So you can do your own calc now, and not take advice from web
    sites selling power supplies :)

    Usually, by the time you buy a supply big enough to supply the
    12V rails, the provided 3.3V and 5V are enough for the rest of
    the computer. There is insufficient detail about other rail
    requirements, to be able to calculate them effectively anyway.

    So, you don't buy power supplies by the watts, as much as by
    the amps on a particularly heavily loaded rail, like today's
    12V output(s).

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 19, 2006
  7. MeNotHome

    nige Guest

    just had an antec 550w go bust on me and
    i wasnt impressed with the build quality of the unit.
    now using a 450w ocz model , better build quality.

    nige

    nige, Apr 20, 2006
  8. MeNotHome

    DDC Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:05:37 GMT, MeNotHome
    <dtfa@****nospm****insightbb.com> wrote:

    >How big of a powersupply do I need
    >Asus A8N-SLI MB, PCI Express video card (not setup as SLI)
    >300g hd, DVD burner
    >
    >Any recommendations on wattage and possible brand?

    i would go for tha most powerfull that i can aford as it is the last
    peace of equipement that you want to replace. Plus it leave room for
    furture upgrade like a second video card...

    DDC, Apr 20, 2006
  9. MeNotHome

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "nige" <> wrote in message
    > just had an antec 550w go bust on me and
    > i wasnt impressed with the build quality of the unit.
    > now using a 450w ocz model , better build quality.
    >
    > nige

    I also recommend the OCZ. The 450w lists peak at 530w or about that (old and
    forgetful). They are relatively new in the PSU market, but are very high
    quality. I also like the modular design to keep things neat in the box.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Apr 20, 2006
  10. MeNotHome

    pajamas Guest

    I buy mine on Ebay. Replaced a 300 watt yesterday.

    Don't spend over $35 including shipping.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/650-Watt-Demon-...872317051QQcategoryZ44949QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    pajamas, Apr 21, 2006
  11. MeNotHome

    Gary Guest

    Gary, Apr 24, 2006
  12. I just replaced a 550W Antec with a 620W Enermax Liberty. I cannot express
    how happy I am with this unit, Yeah its expensive but I figure its good for
    5 years at least and so far it is the most rock stable solid PSU I have
    bought.
    regards
    Freddie
    Asus P5WD2
    2 X 80GB Maxtor
    2 X 120 GB Maxtor
    2 X 250 GB Seagate
    CD Burner - Lite-on
    DVD Burner Asus
    2 X 1GB RAM
    Radeon 1900 XT

    Freddie Clark, Jun 2, 2006
  13. MeNotHome

    rennie Guest

    Freddie Clark schrieb:
    > I just replaced a 550W Antec with a 620W Enermax Liberty. I cannot express
    > how happy I am with this unit, Yeah its expensive but I figure its good for
    > 5 years at least and so far it is the most rock stable solid PSU I have
    > bought.
    > regards
    > Freddie
    > Asus P5WD2
    > 2 X 80GB Maxtor
    > 2 X 120 GB Maxtor
    > 2 X 250 GB Seagate
    > CD Burner - Lite-on
    > DVD Burner Asus
    > 2 X 1GB RAM
    > Radeon 1900 XT

    Since your system is not that demanding the supply of yours might be
    sufficient. I bought me a 930W BeQuiet Dark Force Ultra which is in my
    opinion simply the best psu one can get (and it´s german!).
    Rennie

    rennie, Jun 2, 2006