    this!

    Is there a better group to post this to?

    THANKS!

    w8kzw, Jun 24, 2010

  2. w8kzw

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 6/24/2010 5:24 PM, w8kzw wrote:
    > I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. HP
    > says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.
    >
    > Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? Can you please
    > tell me how?
    >
    > Please be detailed, as I can only stumble through projects like
    > this!
    >
    > Is there a better group to post this to?
    >
    > THANKS!

    Let's start with a description of whatever problem you have had. I'll
    bet that XP does not have drivers for whatever SCSI controller is on the
    system. Or maybe the ServerWorks GC-SL Chipset. Or the NC7760 PCI
    Gigabit Server Adapter. Or the ATA RAID controller. Without drivers
    for these devices, installing XP is a lost cause, unless somehow the
    Windows 2003 drivers would install and work properly.

    You're better off with desktop Linux... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 24, 2010

  3. w8kzw

    Barry Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:24:23 -0700 (PDT), w8kzw
    <> wrote:

    >I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. HP
    >says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.

    XP needs more than 144 MB.

    >Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? Can you please
    >tell me how?
    >
    >Please be detailed, as I can only stumble through projects like
    >this!

    What happens when you try?

    Barry, Jun 25, 2010
  4. w8kzw

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 6/24/2010 8:48 PM, Barry wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:24:23 -0700 (PDT), w8kzw
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. HP
    >> says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.

    > XP needs more than 144 MB.
    >
    >> Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? Can you please
    >> tell me how?
    >>
    >> Please be detailed, as I can only stumble through projects like
    >> this!

    > What happens when you try?
    >
    >> Is there a better group to post this to?
    >>
    >> THANKS!

    Betcha he meant 72 Gee-Bee SCSI drives. Haven't seen anything as small
    as 72MB SCSI in at least 15 years... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 25, 2010
  5. Am 24.06.2010 22:24, * w8kzw:
    > I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. HP
    > says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.

    Yeah, that's what I call a detailed problem description. If you ask your
    help you should have at least the curtesy to be a bit more descriptive
    about what exactly the problem is.

    > Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? Can you please
    > tell me how?

    Sure.

    - First verify what controller the disks are actually connected to. Then
    go to the HP site and download the Windows Server 2003 drivers (they
    work with Windowsxp, too) for the disk controller:

    <http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodNameId=3279701&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316573&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005>

    - Put the drivers on a floppy disk

    - Go to the ProLiant's BIOS and select the CDROM as primary boot drive

    - Insert the Windowsxp CD and restart the server

    - When it starts loading from the Windows CD then wait until the message
    "Press F6 to add drivers" shows up and do that (press F6)

    - Insert the driver floppy and follow the onscreen steps to load the
    driver from the floppy

    - Continue with the installation

    - Later, add drivers for the other hardware from the HP website or from
    the component manufacturer's site

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 25, 2010
  6. w8kzw

    MayI Guest

    Re: How can I load Windows XP on an HP Proliant ML330 G3? Please?

    Thanks to all for the help ... I will continue to try to get this
    going. And yes, I did mean 72 GB.

    While I am amazed that a request for help from an admitted computer
    stumblebum could be construed by anyone as discourteous, I am
    nonetheless grateful for the direction, notwithstanding my (evidently
    incomplete) description.

    MayI, Jun 25, 2010
  7. w8kzw

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 6/25/2010 5:05 PM, MayI wrote:
    > Thanks to all for the help ... I will continue to try to get this
    > going. And yes, I did mean 72 GB.
    >
    > While I am amazed that a request for help from an admitted computer
    > stumblebum could be construed by anyone as discourteous, I am
    > nonetheless grateful for the direction, notwithstanding my (evidently
    > incomplete) description.

    For some of us, it was easy to infer what sort of problem you were
    having, incomplete description notwithstanding. In other words, it was
    easy for me to tell that the problem had to do with missing drivers,
    once I checked to see what chipsets are in the ML330 G3.

    The suggestion to TRY to use the Windows Server 2003 drivers with XP is
    a good one. Getting the drivers into a format on a FLOPPY (another
    stupid design decision by Microsoft) usable by the XP installer may pose
    a challenge.

    The most important of the missing drivers are the ones for the
    motherboard chipset and for the SCSI disk controller. If you can get
    those loaded early in the XP install (press F6), you should be able to
    complete the task... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 26, 2010
  8. w8kzw

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jun 24, 4:24 pm, w8kzw <> wrote:
    > I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives.  HP
    > says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.
    >
    > Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine?  Can you please
    > tell me how?
    >
    > Please be detailed, as I can only stumble through projects like
    > this!
    >
    > Is there a better group to post this to?
    >
    > THANKS!

    I also recommend a freeware app to merge the drivers into a new
    install disc. nLite has saved my sorry a** many times!
    You use the original disc + the needed drivers and burn a new install
    disc.
    If I can do it...anyone can!

    http://www.nliteos.com/

    bob

    Bob Villa, Jun 26, 2010
  9. Re: How can I load Windows XP on an HP Proliant ML330 G3? Please?

    On 25/06/2010 22:05, * MayI:

    > While I am amazed that a request for help from an admitted computer
    > stumblebum could be construed by anyone as discourteous, I am
    > nonetheless grateful for the direction, notwithstanding my (evidently
    > incomplete) description.

    It's really simple. You want help, so the least you can do is to show
    some appreciation for people taking the time and offering a solution by
    providing as much relevant details as possible, because it makes it
    easier for readers to help you with your actual problem than wasting
    time to guess what went fine and what not. Not providing details is
    considered rude, and many people (which may include some who actually
    *did* the same what you want to do and therefore don't have to guess
    about what may work and what not) just ignore questions with no
    background information which at the end of the day means you will miss
    out on the help you need.

    Saying "I can't load Windows XP" is really not clear what your problem
    is, some magical abilities that others seem to have (or believe to have)
    aside. It's not even clear that you want to actually install Windows on
    the machine, it could as well be that for some reason a previous Windows
    installation doesn't boot. And even for installation, gives no hint if
    the problem is indeed missing drivers (btw: Windowsxp comes with a lot
    of drivers even for servers), or if already fails at booting from the
    install media, or if a hardware problem is preventing the installation.
    You give no information, so we don't know. Simple as that.

    So please, if you expect others to take time to help, the least you can
    do is to provide details (what you did and what the problem is, and if
    possible the configuration of the server).

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 26, 2010
  10. w8kzw

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jun 25, 4:05 pm, MayI <> wrote:
    > Thanks to all for the help ... I will continue to try to get this
    > going.  And yes, I did mean 72 GB.
    >
    > While I am amazed that a request for help from an admitted computer
    > stumblebum could be construed by anyone as discourteous, I am
    > nonetheless grateful for the direction, notwithstanding my (evidently
    > incomplete) description.

    This is a common problem with XP SP1...when someone mentions SCSI or
    SATA drivers.
    I had problems with a LT that needed serial drivers for the DVD drive
    so it could load XP (which Ben helped me with).
    Not a problem.

    bob

    Bob Villa, Jun 26, 2010
  11. w8kzw

    Jeepster77

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Need USB help!

    I realize this is a very old thread, but I'm really trying...have "successfully" installed WinXP SP3 on a Proliant ML330. Only problem is USB. I have a USB mouse attached, it lights up during POST and stays on until just after XP starts to boot. Then it loses power and is not recognized. XP does show USB drivers installed, but no devices.
    Have not found ANY USB drivers for any version of windows....
    Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

    Jeepster77, Apr 20, 2012