How come no drives are shown on Lion/Mac OS X 10.7.x's desktops anymore?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Jun 17, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hi!

    I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
    noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
    desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
    change this design? :(

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "I don't know how good ants are at swimmin', but I'd be willing to bet
    that a good fire'd get their attention." --MacGyver in Trumbo's World

  2. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Re: How come no drives are shown on Lion/Mac OS X 10.7.x's desktopsanymore?

    In message <>
    Ant <> wrote:
    > Hi!

    > I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
    > noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
    > desktop.

    Yes it does.

    > I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
    > change this design? :(

    They didn't. Finder -> Preferences -> General.

    --
    'What can I do? I'm only human,' he said aloud. Someone said, Not all
    of you. --Pyramids

    1. Advertising

  3. PhillipJones

    PhillipJones Guest

    Ant wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
    > noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
    > desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
    > change this design? :(
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)

    You can go to Finder Preferences. and reset so that hard drives show.
    They are dumbing down computers. the new breed of Programmers at apple
    are assuming the people using Computers are a bunch of dumbasses and
    will screw up their computers if they look inside the hard drive. And
    also what shows in the sidebar.

  4. PhillipJones

    PhillipJones Guest

    Lewis wrote:
    > In message<>
    > Ant<> wrote:
    >> Hi!

    >> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
    >> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
    >> desktop.

    > Yes it does.
    >
    >> I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
    >> change this design? :(

    > They didn't. Finder -> Preferences -> General.

    The difference is up to Snow Leopard the showing of Hard Drives even
    though could be turned off or on. What's Different is That Hard drive
    display was not preset on.

  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: How come no drives are shown on Lion/Mac OS X 10.7.x's desktopsanymore?

    On 6/17/2012 3:36 PM PT, PhillipJones typed:

    >>> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
    >>> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
    >>> desktop.

    >> Yes it does.
    >>
    >>> I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
    >>> change this design? :(

    >> They didn't. Finder -> Preferences -> General.
    >>

    > The difference is up to Snow Leopard the showing of Hard Drives even
    > though could be turned off or on. What's Different is That Hard drive
    > display was not preset on.

    Ah thanks, but why did Apple change the default to hide them? That seems
    to mess up usability IMO.
    --
    "... Something wrong with the gun," he said. "But what if there is?
    They'll get it right again. And even if there's a delay, how can it

  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Re: How come no drives are shown on Lion/Mac OS X 10.7.x's desktopsanymore?

    On 6/17/2012 3:34 PM PT, PhillipJones typed:

    >> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
    >> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
    >> desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
    >> change this design? :(

    > You can go to Finder Preferences. and reset so that hard drives show.
    > They are dumbing down computers. the new breed of Programmers at apple
    > are assuming the people using Computers are a bunch of dumbasses and
    > will screw up their computers if they look inside the hard drive. And
    > also what shows in the sidebar.

    [sighs] :(
    --
    "The evaluator counts the ants at the picnic of progress." --Mohan Singh
    | |o o| |

  7. Lewis

    Ant <> wrote:
    > On 6/17/2012 3:36 PM PT, PhillipJones typed:

    >>> Yes it does.

    >>> They didn't. Finder -> Preferences -> General.
    >>>

    >> The difference is up to Snow Leopard the showing of Hard Drives even
    >> though could be turned off or on. What's Different is That Hard drive
    >> display was not preset on.

    > Ah thanks, but why did Apple change the default to hide them? That seems
    > to mess up usability IMO.

    Not really. Most people either have nothing on their desktop at all, or
    have EVERYTHING on their desktops. having the drive there doesn't help
    in either case.

    --
    It's better to burn out than it is to rust -- Neil Young as quoted be
    Kurt Cobain

  8. Andy Hewitt

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    PhillipJones <> wrote:

    > Ant wrote:
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
    > > noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
    > > desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
    > > change this design? :(
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance. :)

    > You can go to Finder Preferences. and reset so that hard drives show.
    > They are dumbing down computers. the new breed of Programmers at apple
    > are assuming the people using Computers are a bunch of dumbasses and
    > will screw up their computers if they look inside the hard drive. And
    > also what shows in the sidebar.

    FWIW, in my experience of helping the old fogies with their various
    computer problems, this is actually a good thing. The amount of times I
    have to fix stuff because they've been fiddling with things they're not
    meant to, and haven't got a clue what they do. The more things you can
    hide away from them, the better, IMHO.

    The great thing is, they have left the options there to turn make things
    visble again. Or if not, there are usually some third party solutions
    that'll do it easily enough.

    Either way, the safest options are being set by default. If you have a
    clue, then it's no big deal to reactivate things.

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <www.andy-hewitt.me.uk>

  9. Warren Oates

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <1kluzkg.1uijm9a1ksfcuwN%>,
    (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

    > Either way, the safest options are being set by default. If you have a
    > clue, then it's no big deal to reactivate things.

    I've been doing this a long time, and I'm used to seeing my prefs
    persist across upgrades. So when Lion booted the first time and no
    drives showed up on the Desktop, I immediately thought that something
    had "gone wrong" with the upgrade. An empty Desktop?

    My next thought was that they (Apple) had just set those prefs back to
    zero. Which was the case. Lion works. The scroll bars are just silly.
    It's almost like some practical joke.
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

  10. Andy Hewitt

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Warren Oates <> wrote:

    > In article <1kluzkg.1uijm9a1ksfcuwN%>,
    > (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
    >
    > > Either way, the safest options are being set by default. If you have a
    > > clue, then it's no big deal to reactivate things.

    > I've been doing this a long time, and I'm used to seeing my prefs
    > persist across upgrades. So when Lion booted the first time and no
    > drives showed up on the Desktop, I immediately thought that something
    > had "gone wrong" with the upgrade. An empty Desktop?
    >
    > My next thought was that they (Apple) had just set those prefs back to
    > zero. Which was the case. Lion works. The scroll bars are just silly.
    > It's almost like some practical joke.

    I'm with you on the scroll bars. And what's happened to the one-click
    arrow buttons?

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <www.andy-hewitt.me.uk>

  11. Tom Stiller

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <4fde68d9$0$1722$c3e8da3$>,
    Warren Oates <> wrote:

    > The scroll bars are just silly.
    > It's almost like some practical joke.

    Ant I felt the same way about the old method. What could be sillier than
    moving my reading material down to move down. Now I read my screens the
    same way I read my newspaper.

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

  12. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    Warren Oates <> wrote:

    > I've been doing this a long time, and I'm used to seeing my prefs
    > persist across upgrades.

    Lucky you. Shutting down and sometimes even restarting, can change
    some prefs on my machine. Back to defaults. But I know what to watch
    for now and it is rarely a problem.

    --
    dorayme

  13. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 06-17-2012 18:34, PhillipJones wrote:
    > They are dumbing down computers. the new breed of Programmers at apple
    > are assuming the people using Computers are a bunch of dumbasses and
    > will screw up their computers if they look inside the hard drive. And
    > also what shows in the sidebar.

    You know as well as I do that Apple is completely cognizant that the
    users of computers ARE looking inside their hard drive whenever they do
    anything.

    Far more likely the default was changed because they discovered more
    people liked it that way than not. I know _I_ for one always turned off
    those icons as soon as the machine came my way.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Can we afford to be relevant?
    http://www.cetesol.org/stevick.html

  14. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 06-17-2012 19:23, Andy Hewitt wrote:
    > FWIW, in my experience of helping the old fogies with their various
    > computer problems, this is actually a good thing. The amount of times I
    > have to fix stuff because they've been fiddling with things they're not
    > meant to, and haven't got a clue what they do. The more things you can
    > hide away from them, the better, IMHO.

    That has little if anything to do with it. Turning off those icons
    does NOT prevent anyone from clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Can we afford to be relevant?
    http://www.cetesol.org/stevick.html

  15. PhillipJones

    PhillipJones Guest

    Ant wrote:
    > On 6/17/2012 3:34 PM PT, PhillipJones typed:
    >
    >>> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
    >>> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
    >>> desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
    >>> change this design? :(

    >> You can go to Finder Preferences. and reset so that hard drives show.
    >> They are dumbing down computers. the new breed of Programmers at apple
    >> are assuming the people using Computers are a bunch of dumbasses and
    >> will screw up their computers if they look inside the hard drive. And
    >> also what shows in the sidebar.

    > [sighs] :(

    I agree :(

  16. In article <jrm5t2$jrt$>,
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > Far more likely the default was changed because they discovered more
    > people liked it that way than not. I know _I_ for one always turned off
    > those icons as soon as the machine came my way.

    Me too; the only ones I show on the desktop are CDs, DVDs, and iPods.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

  17. PhillipJones

    PhillipJones Guest

    Lewis wrote:
    > In message<>
    > Ant<> wrote:
    >> On 6/17/2012 3:36 PM PT, PhillipJones typed:

    >>> The difference is up to Snow Leopard the showing of Hard Drives even
    >>> though could be turned off or on. What's Different is That Hard drive
    >>> display was not preset on.

    >> Ah thanks, but why did Apple change the default to hide them? That seems
    >> to mess up usability IMO.

    > Not really. Most people either have nothing on their desktop at all, or
    > have EVERYTHING on their desktops. having the drive there doesn't help
    > in either case.

    unlike most people. I don't use the documents folder for anything. There
    are some applications that write items to documents Folder. But
    otherwise its not used. ( too many eggs in one basket).I use the Hard
    drive as File cabinet and have many folders so I open the hard drive I
    am presented with various directories (Folders) I have created. with in
    those are files. here is a small sample:

    https://skitch.com/pjonescet/ebm8a/macbook-pro

    think of the mess you would have if you just saved files to document
    unsorted What a mess. So I need the Hard Drive on.

  18. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Re: How come no drives are shown on Lion/Mac OS X 10.7.x's desktopsanymore?

    In message <4fde68d9$0$1722$c3e8da3$>
    Warren Oates <> wrote:
    > My next thought was that they (Apple) had just set those prefs back to
    > zero. Which was the case. Lion works. The scroll bars are just silly.
    > It's almost like some practical joke.

    The scroll bars are silly if you are using a mouse or scroll wheel, they
    make perfect sense if you are using a trackpad. I really wish that Apple
    would treat a scroll wheel differently than a trackpad, because I always
    scroll the 'wrong' way on the Trackman, but the 'right' way on the Magic
    Trackpad.

    --
    The trouble with witches is that they'll never run away from things they
    really hate. And the trouble with small furry animals in a corner is

  19. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Re: How come no drives are shown on Lion/Mac OS X 10.7.x's desktopsanymore?

    In message <jrm76g$mno$>
    PhillipJones <> wrote:
    > unlike most people. I don't use the documents folder for anything. There
    > are some applications that write items to documents Folder. But
    > otherwise its not used. ( too many eggs in one basket).I use the Hard
    > drive as File cabinet and have many folders so I open the hard drive I
    > am presented with various directories (Folders) I have created. with in
    > those are files. here is a small sample:

    > https://skitch.com/pjonescet/ebm8a/macbook-pro

    Why can't you do the same thing with your Documents folder? Or any
    folder? What advantage do you get from putting all those files at the
    root of the desktop?

    Jeez, I didn't even do that back in the System 7 days.

    --
    Rincewind had always been happy to think of himself as a racist. The
    One Hundred Meters, the Mile, the Marathon -- he'd run them all.

  20. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Re: How come no drives are shown on Lion/Mac OS X 10.7.x's desktopsanymore?

    In message <jrm5t2$jrt$>
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    > On 06-17-2012 18:34, PhillipJones wrote:
    >> They are dumbing down computers. the new breed of Programmers at apple
    >> are assuming the people using Computers are a bunch of dumbasses and
    >> will screw up their computers if they look inside the hard drive. And
    >> also what shows in the sidebar.

    > You know as well as I do that Apple is completely cognizant that the
    > users of computers ARE looking inside their hard drive whenever they do
    > anything.

    No, most users have absolutely no idea what a hard drive is or how their
    files are stored. Their documents get saved somewhere, and if they are
    lucky they are able to find them in the same app the next time they need
    it. If not, they use spotlight. But trust me, most users are not opening
    up their hard drive, and if they do, they get very confused.

    --
    Monique: He keeps putting his testicles all over me. Lane: Excuse me?
    "Humor is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing