    points, but each time I got the error message that a restore could not be
    done, and that no changes were made. So that's not an alternative either.

    What to do?

    Yolanda Villa, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Yolanda Villa

    Chris H. Guest

    You could try from the Command Prompt, running the same "sfc /scannow"
    instruction and point the repair to the C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder where the cab
    files and other system files reside. OEM "fix it" CDs don't work very well
    in this situation.

    What happened, what errors are you seeing, and have you tried using a
    Restore Point from System Restore to go to a point prior to the errors?
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Yolanda Villa" <> wrote in message
    > Motion 1200. Okay, I've been having some miscellaneous problems lately, I

    so
    > followed the suggestion I've seen here a few times to run sfc /scannow.

    Sure
    > enough, I must have some corrupted system files, because I got the message
    > saying files were needed, and asking me to put in my system CD.
    >
    > Now what do I do, as of course I don't have a system disk, just the

    recovery

    Chris H., Nov 1, 2003

  3. As I said in my original post, I tried system restore first, and it won't
    work--and I even tried at numerous restore points.

    How do I point sfc to the I386 folder? I don't know the syntax, if that's
    possible to do when running from a command prompt. It sure didn't give me a
    chance to do that when run from "run". That's why I wrote here asking for
    help. :)

    Yolanda Villa, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Yolanda Villa

    Chris H. Guest

    If you run from the Command Prompt (not Start/Run), I believe if it finds
    errors it may ask for the location of the replacement files. That's when
    you can point it to the directory I cited. I believe. I haven't run it on
    my Tablets, and the OEM software (depending on manufacturer) has different
    methods. You might want to continue contacting the Motion support folks.
    They're usually pretty responsive.

    Chris H., Nov 1, 2003
  5. Thanks Chris, but no luck. Tried from command prompt, and again it gives me
    no opportunity to do anything but insert system CD. Guess I'll have to call
    Motion, if there's no way to point the repair process to my c drive.

    Yolanda Villa, Nov 1, 2003
  6. Yolanda Villa

    Chris H. Guest

    Drat! Yes, I would contact Motion. They're actually quite good with
    helping. I'd be curious to hear what they suggest, if you don't mind
    posting back once they get it fixed for you.

    Chris H., Nov 1, 2003
  7. Yolanda Villa

    Chris H. Guest

    Cool, Cliff. Hope it works for Yolanda.

    Chris H., Nov 1, 2003
  8. Yolanda Villa

    Chris H. Guest

    Thanks, Cliff, for hopping in here with the info. I thought the situation
    sounded familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it. :cool:

    Chris H., Nov 1, 2003
  9. Okay, thanks Cliff.

    First I tried burning my C:/I386 directory to a CD. That didn't work, just
    got the message I had the wrong CD. Then I tried calling Motion, but the
    tech support person I got wasn't aware we didn't get a regular XP system
    disk, and said he'd have to research my issue and would call back. What he
    wanted me to do was a complete re-install from the recovery disks though.
    Horrors! (Unless absolutely necessary).

    So then I saw and tried your suggestion. It sure did take forever, and I had
    to keep hitting "retry" whenever the process got to a point it wanted to
    copy another file; I must have hit retry literally 100 times or so. But, it
    did go all the way through. No messages when done though, like "system files
    repaired" or anything like that. Is that normal do you think? Should there
    be a log somewhere I can go and look at, to find out what actually needed
    repair?

    Anyway, now I'll just have to wait and watch for a while, to see if my
    original problems have resolved or not. I didn't even go into them
    here--it's such a long, involved story! :)

    Yolanda Villa, Nov 1, 2003
  10. Yolanda Villa

    Chris H. Guest

    What was the original issue, Yolanda?

    Chris H., Nov 2, 2003
  11. How does SFC work with patches? Are you restoring the original DLLs from
    the CD even if they have been updated since then? Does it always make
    sure it uses the latest version? I'd hate to think that SFC undoes all
    the patches you have applied but still leaves all the registry keys in
    plays so Windows Update still thinks the patches are active when in fact
    they are not.

    Edward Wohlman, Nov 4, 2003
  12. Yolanda Villa

    Chris H. Guest

    No, it doesn't start a vicious circle of replace/find/replace/etc. because
    of Windows File Protection (WFP) which keeps track of the protected system
    files. There's a double-check, as I understand it, so a properly recorded,
    updated .dll won't be replaced by an earlier version. This wasn't always
    so, but starting in Windows 2000 when WFP was introduced, there's the
    safeguard in place. There's limited information in a Knowledge Base article
    here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

    Chris H., Nov 4, 2003