How do I get 3gigs out of 3gigs worth of chips?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mm, Dec 12, 2010.

  1. mm

    mm Guest

    How do I get 3gigs out of 3gigs worth of chips?

    When all 4 slots are full, it always shows one slot as empty, and a
    second slot as 512 instead of 1 gig!! It varies which slots those
    are.

    Hi, me again. With my friend's Dell 4600, running an almost fresh
    install of XP Pro. The BIOS, under Memory Information, shows what I
    have at the bottom.^^

    It had two 512Kb DDRs in its 4 slots, and I decided I wanted more
    memory.

    I bought 2 1G DDRs****, and put them, without removing the ones that
    were there, in the empty slots, the second bank, bank 1, but it showed
    only 2GB total, not 3G like one would expect.

    For one thing, with all four slots filled, with 512 in 1 and 2 and 1G
    in 3 and 4, slot 3 showed 512 and slot 4 showed empty. With a later
    arrangement slot 3 showed empty.

    So I rearranged them so the bigger ones were in the DDR1 and 3, and
    the old ones were in DDR2 and 4. No change in the total!!

    At every step, I ran Memtest86** and usually Belarc Advisor for more
    info than just the total. They always agreed.

    **Option c (configuration) / option 5 (Show DMI Memory Information -
    by slot)

    (Columns below are written for fixed-width fonts. In Agent, with
    default font settings, clicking on Reply changes the font from
    variable-width to fixed width.)

    So I started at the beginning, starting with one of the new DIMMs and
    adding the other one and then each of the olds ones after each ----
    line:
    | What Memtest and
    size slot What shows in Memtest and Belarc| Belarc call the slots
    1G DDR1 1024M | Ch A DIMM 0
    ----

    1G 1 1024 A 0
    1G 2 1024 Total 2048 B 0
    ----

    1G 1 512 A 0
    1G 2 1024 B 0
    512 3 empty Total 1536 A 1
    ----

    1G 1 512 A 0
    1G 2 1024 B 0
    512 3 empty A 1
    512 4 512 Total 2048 B 1

    However it's not as simple as blaming slot 3 because when I first did
    this, with 512 in 1 and 2 and 1G in 3 and 4, slot 3 showed 512 and
    slot 4 showed empty.

    The first two levels of installing DIMMS seem to make clear that DDR1
    is Ch A, DIMM 0; and DDR2 is Ch B, DIMM 0; and the others follow
    logically from that, but I still see this as a possible source of part
    of my confusion.

    I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 1G chips and they
    had no errors.
    I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 512M chips and they
    had no errors.
    I didn't think it was worth running Memtest with all 4 chips in place,
    because it always shows one slot as empty, and a second slot as 512
    instead of 1 gig.

    Are all my DIMMs good?

    What should I do to get 3 Gigs to show up?

    Is it true that XP can't recognize more than 3.5 gigs, and sometimes
    not more than 3? Regardless, I still want my 3!

    **** P.S.
    My old DIMMs are Dell factory Hynix 512M DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700, and
    my new DIMMs are used Crucial 1GB DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700u-25331-z

    ^^I can't change any of these, except the last:
    Installed System Memory, various values
    but never more than 2048M DDR SDRAM.
    System Memory Speed 333 MHz
    System Memory Channel Single
    AGP Aperture 128M
    (Could change it to 32, 64, or 256)

    Thanks for any help you can give me!
    mm, Dec 12, 2010

  2. mm

    mm Guest

    BTW, the four lights on the back of the computer are all green.

    And all the chips are well installed. The first 3 go Click when the
    bottom part is pushed in, and again Click when the top spot is pushed
    in. The fourth one never does that -- it just pushes in slowly -- but
    for all four DIMMs the levers at each end are all the way up, so that
    the "prong" on the top of each one is in the notch at the end of the
    DIMM.

    And I redid the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th setup in the details below, and got
    the same results. With slot 1 showing 512 when a couple minutes
    earlier it showed 1024 and I didnt' move it in between. and with slot
    3 showing as empty even though that's one that clicked into place at
    both ends, pushing the levers at the ends up, into the notches.

    It always boots and it always runs, with whatever configuration I've
    used.

    And the board is rated for 4 gigs, a gig in each slot, and indeed,
    with oonly two 1-gig chips, it shows 2 gigs. Addign the 512 makes one
    of the gigs show up as 512!

    Also, DDR1 and 2 have white levers, DDR3 and 4 have black levers.
    Right?

    The manual, which I think was wrong when it clearly implied all 4600
    have hyper-threading, says:

    Architecture Dual Channel DDR SDRAM ^^^
    Memory connectors Four
    Memory capacities 128-, 256-, 512-MB or 1-GB
    Minimum memory 128-MB DDR SDRAM
    NOTE: Between 32 and 64 MB of system memory may be
    allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory size
    and other factors.
    Maximum memory 4 GB [4 gigs!!!]
    Memory type PC2700 (333-MHz) or PC3200 (400-MHz) DDR
    SDRAM (non-ECC)

    ^^^ Here it says dual, but in the Bios it says:
    "System Memory Channel Single". So how can I get dual?

    mm, Dec 12, 2010

  3. mm

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Dec 11, 11:34 pm, mm <> wrote:
    > How do I get 3gigs out of 3gigs worth of chips?

    Excuse me if this is an off-the-wall statement...I thought this was
    either/or, not both situation. You use DDR (2 sticks) or DDR2(2
    sticks)?
    (2 Gb should be more than satisfactory for XP Pro, and you will always
    be limited by your FSB speed)
    Bob Villa, Dec 12, 2010
  4. mm

    linkinpark187

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    There are many different reasons, but the big thing depends on the age of your motherboard. Have you checked the manufacturer's website to see what the max amount of memory is that the board can handle? It could be that the board is only capable of going up to 2GB of RAM. The other thing is that one of the sticks of memory is damaged. Do you have a smaller stick that you know works that you can put in just to check? Something like either a 128MB or 256MB. If it comes out to 2.12 or 2.25GB, then you know that one of the sticks are bad. Barring that, then chances are the motherboard is damaged, and if you have what you said you have, then I'm not too surprised. Just give a quick look on eBay and you'll find what you're looking for.
    linkinpark187, Dec 12, 2010
  5. mm

    mm Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 04:33:30 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 11, 11:34 pm, mm <> wrote:
    >> How do I get 3gigs out of 3gigs worth of chips?
    >>

    >Excuse me if this is an off-the-wall statement...I thought this was
    >either/or, not both situation. You use DDR (2 sticks) or DDR2(2
    >sticks)?

    DDR2 is not involved. Where I talk about DDR1, 2, 3, and 4, that's
    because the Dell owners manual refers to the slots that way, and there
    are 4 DIMM slots. Both Memtest and Belarc refer to them as A0, B0,
    A1, and B1.

    This computer, the Dell 9600, only takes DDR.

    It has four slots and will take up to 1 gig in each slot, it says.
    And the first two slots do accept one gig each and correctly recognize
    2 gigs. But I already have two 512Meg, so I bought two 1-gig sticks
    for a total of 4 sticks and 3gig.

    But when all four are used, it doesn't recognize fully one of the new
    sticks, and it doesn't recognize at all one of the old sticks. I lose
    512 meg in each case, so instead of 3 gig, I only have 2 gig. <great
    sobbing>

    >(2 Gb should be more than satisfactory for XP Pro, and you will always
    >be limited by your FSB speed)

    Yes 2 gig is enough to run XP pro, but more RAM usually has
    advantages, more windows can be open, more tabs can be open in the
    browser, less swapping goes on. That's why some people with newer
    mobos than mine have 8 gigs, even though that's far more than is
    needed to run 7.

    And I've paid for my 3 gigs already, so I want them to work.
    mm, Dec 12, 2010
  6. mm

    Bob Villa Guest

    I thought this was a 4600 (which I think is DDR2) and now you mention
    a 9600?
    Bob Villa, Dec 12, 2010
  7. mm

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/12/2010 3:21 AM, mm wrote:
> [...]
    >> of my confusion.
    >>
    >> I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 1G chips and they
    >> had no errors.
    >> I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 512M chips and they
    >> had no errors.
    >> I didn't think it was worth running Memtest with all 4 chips in place,
    >> because it always shows one slot as empty, and a second slot as 512
    >> instead of 1 gig.
    >>
    >> Are all my DIMMs good?
    >>
    >> What should I do to get 3 Gigs to show up?
    >>
    >> Is it true that XP can't recognize more than 3.5 gigs, and sometimes
    >> not more than 3? Regardless, I still want my 3!
    >>
    >> **** P.S.
    >> My old DIMMs are Dell factory Hynix 512M DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700, and
    >> my new DIMMs are used Crucial 1GB DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700u-25331-z
    >>
    >> ^^I can't change any of these, except the last:

    With 4th DIMM socket not clicking firmly when a DIMM is installed, I
    suspect a defective socket is the problem.

    3GB is excellent for XP, especially for photo editing and any app using
    very large data sets. No point in going above 3GB due to P4
    architecture and 32-bit addressing limitations... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Dec 12, 2010
  8. mm

    mm Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:42:29 -0500, Ben Myers <>
    wrote:

> [...]
    >>> in 3 and 4, slot 3 showed 512 and slot 4 showed empty. With a later
    >>> arrangement slot 3 showed empty.
    >>>
    >>> So I rearranged them so the bigger ones were in the DDR1 and 3, and
    >>> the old ones were in DDR2 and 4. No change in the total!!
    >>>
    >>> At every step, I ran Memtest86** and usually Belarc Advisor for more
    >>> info than just the total. They always agreed.
    >>>
    >>> **Option c (configuration) / option 5 (Show DMI Memory Information -
    >>> by slot)
    >>>
    >>> (Columns below are written for fixed-width fonts. In Agent, with
    >>> default font settings, clicking on Reply changes the font from
    >>> variable-width to fixed width.)
    >>>
    >>> So I started at the beginning, starting with one of the new DIMMs and
    >>> adding the other one and then each of the olds ones after each ----
    >>> line:
    >>> size slot What shows in Memtest and Belarc| Belarc call the slots

    >>> 1G 2 1024 B 0
    >>> 512 3 empty Total 1536 A 1
    >>> ----
    >>>
    >>> 1G 1 512 A 0
    >>> 1G 2 1024 B 0
    >>> 512 3 empty A 1
    >>> 512 4 512 Total 2048 B 1
    >>>
    >>> However it's not as simple as blaming slot 3 because when I first did
    >>> this, with 512 in 1 and 2 and 1G in 3 and 4, slot 3 showed 512 and
    >>> slot 4 showed empty.
    >>>

    >>> The first two levels of installing DIMMS seem to make clear that DDR1
    >>> is Ch A, DIMM 0; and DDR2 is Ch B, DIMM 0; and the others follow
    >>> logically from that, but I still see this as a possible source of part
    >>> of my confusion.
    >>>
    >>> I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 1G chips and they
    >>> had no errors.
    >>> I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 512M chips and they
    >>> had no errors.
    >>> I didn't think it was worth running Memtest with all 4 chips in place,
    >>> because it always shows one slot as empty, and a second slot as 512
    >>> instead of 1 gig.
    >>>
    >>> Are all my DIMMs good?
    >>>
    >>> What should I do to get 3 Gigs to show up?
    >>>
    >>> Is it true that XP can't recognize more than 3.5 gigs, and sometimes
    >>> not more than 3? Regardless, I still want my 3!
    >>>
    >>> **** P.S.
    >>> My old DIMMs are Dell factory Hynix 512M DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700, and
    >>> my new DIMMs are used Crucial 1GB DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700u-25331-z
    >>>
    >>> ^^I can't change any of these, except the last:
    >>> Installed System Memory, various values
    >>> but never more than 2048M DDR SDRAM.
    >>> System Memory Speed 333 MHz
    >>> System Memory Channel Single
    >>> AGP Aperture 128M
    >>> (Could change it to 32, 64, or 256)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help you can give me!

    >With 4th DIMM socket not clicking firmly when a DIMM is installed, I
    >suspect a defective socket is the problem.
    >
    >3GB is excellent for XP, especially for photo editing and any app using
    >very large data sets. No point in going above 3GB due to P4
    >architecture and 32-bit addressing limitations...

    Okay. I thought that was what I read somewhere.

    >Ben Myers

    But even when I use only the first three slots, it doesn't work. And
    the first slot that was working right only shows half of what it has.

    It shows slot 3 as if it's empty and slot 1 as if it had only 512. So
    it doesn't show 2 1/2 gig. It shows 1.5 gig.

    This is with three sticks:
    | What Memtest and
    size slot What shows in Memtest and Belarc| Belarc call the slots

    1G DDR1 512 CH A DIMM 0
    1G 2 1024 B 0
    512 3 empty A 1
    Slot 4 actually empty

    Total 1536

    Thanks.
    mm, Dec 12, 2010
  9. mm

    mm Guest

    I thought I sent this already. It's sort of moot now, but not quite.
    :)

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:27:29 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >I thought this was a 4600 (which I think is DDR2) and now you mention
    >a 9600?

    You're right. I meant to repeat that it was a 4600. I confused it
    with a video card maybe.

    But you're wrong that 4600 is DDR2. It's 6 or 7 years old and didn't
    use that.
    mm, Dec 13, 2010
  10. mm

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Dec 12, 10:30 pm, mm <> wrote:
    > I thought I sent this already.  It's sort of moot now, but not quite.
    >  :)
    >
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:27:29 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I thought this was a 4600 (which I think is DDR2) and now you mention
    > >a 9600?

    > You're right.  I meant to repeat that it was a 4600.  I confused it
    > with a video card maybe.
    >
    > But you're wrong that 4600 is DDR2. It's 6 or 7 years old and didn't
    > use that.

    That unit was SATA capable...I guess that's were I was confused.
    Bob Villa, Dec 13, 2010
  11. mm

    mm Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 03:41:52 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 12, 10:30 pm, mm <> wrote:
    >> I thought I sent this already.  It's sort of moot now, but not quite.
    >>  :)
    >>
    >> On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:27:29 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >I thought this was a 4600 (which I think is DDR2) and now you mention
    >> >a 9600?

    >> You're right.  I meant to repeat that it was a 4600.  I confused it
    >> with a video card maybe.
    >>
    >> But you're wrong that 4600 is DDR2. It's 6 or 7 years old and didn't
    >> use that.

    >That unit was SATA capable...

    Yes, it is.

    >I guess that's were I was confused.

    I can relate to that. Especially having confused a video card with a
    computer.
    mm, Dec 13, 2010
  12. mm

    mm Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:45:50 -0500, Christopher Muto
    <> wrote:

    >On 12/12/2010 12:34 AM, mm wrote:
    >> How do I get 3gigs out of 3gigs worth of chips?
    >>
    >> When all 4 slots are full, it always shows one slot as empty, and a
    >> second slot as 512 instead of 1 gig!! It varies which slots those
    >> are.
    >>

    >> Hi, me again. With my friend's Dell 4600, running an almost fresh
    >> install of XP Pro. The BIOS, under Memory Information, shows what I
    >> have at the bottom.^^
    >>
    >> It had two 512Kb DDRs in its 4 slots, and I decided I wanted more
    >> memory.
    >>
    >> I bought 2 1G DDRs****, <snip> Thanks for any help you can give me!

    Thanks for your helpful reply. Sorry it took so long to get back to
    you. I was following the suggestions at the end. The upshot is, it
    didn't change how much memory was recognized.

    >i suggest you first try installing just the two new 1gb memory modules
    >in your system.

    Yes, I had done that.

    > put them in the two known good sockets that the
    >original 512mb modules have been happily working in. this should help
    >you identify if your new memory is working or not.

    They worked fine. Two full passes of Memtest, with no errors.

    >if they are working
    >then what is reported as installed memory in the bios should report them
    >fully. if they are not fully reconized then the memory is either
    >incompatible or defective. before you contact crucial about a
    >replacement you should try updating the system bios to the latest a12.
    >version a03 was released in part to address 'memory size reporting in
    >bios' and a12 includes that fix plus many others.

    Well, I had gotten all the drivers, etc. before, but the names they
    give them don't give much clue what they do, so I dl'd the bios update
    again. That took an extra day because the Dell webpage was slow as a
    glacier yesterday. But the instructions made it clear that this was a
    lot simpler than any bios update I had read about before.

    I had also checked on the differences between when the computer was
    sold, 1/27/2004, and when updates were made to the BIOS. I had to
    look at each one individually. Version A03 was 5 months before the
    sale date, but A04 through A12 were after. (Well, A04, 5, 6, and 7
    aren't listed at all, but I presume they existed, Actually, I don't
    know which were done before this computer was made and which
    weren't.***

    I couldn't find what changes were made in A04 (or maybe A09), A06,
    A07, or A08. A09 (or maybe A05, A11, and A12 are listed below. They
    don't say anything about memory, but it's good to have the most recent
    BIOS.

    So I got it and I started to run it, and it also said that I already
    have A07 and it was going to update to A12. The update went smooth as
    silk, And I verified that it had changed the revision number to A12.

    THE UPSHOT IS:
    It made no difference in the how much memory it found. I've booted
    several times since then.

    > and like ben said, it
    >is possible that you simply have a bad socket among the four. if that

    It's certainly not simple, because which socket is listed as empty
    varies, either 3 or 4, and 3 makes a nice click, and both 3 and 4 are
    in all the way, I'm sure; and because socket 1 shows only 512 when it
    really has 1 gig. A bad socket 3 or 4 couldn't affect socket 1 like
    that, could it?

    >is the case then you can at least bring this system to 2.5gb with the
    >modules that you put the larger capacity modules in the working sockets.

    So far, I still only have 2 gig. The one arrangment I haven't tried
    is with the 512 in the original sockets and the 1gig in the second
    pair of sockets. That will be tomorrow I guess.

    **
    Release Date: 9/27/2004
    Version: A12
    Download Type: BIOS
    File Size: 524 KB
    The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A10 to create A12:
    1. Fixed Quick Boot menu when no bootable drives are selected in
    SETUP.
    2. Updated microcode for newer CPUs.
    3. Eliminated possible hang on next boot when AC power is removed.
    4. Fixed intermittent hang in resuming from Standby.
    5. Improved keyboard test when booting from Hibernate.
    6. Fixed possible hang after unplugging and re-plugging USB hubs.
    7. Increased USB keyboard wait time to allow all USB devices being
    enumerated.
    8. Added to support in PXE boot environments with Spanning Tree
    enabled.
    9. Prevent false MCE errors from causing "bad CPU" error in POST.
    10. Fixed floppy access failures when CD floppy emulation is turned
    off.

    Dell Dimension System BIOS, A10
    Release Date: 6/28/2004 520 KB
    The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A09 to create A10:
    1. Add support for faster processors and latest Celeron processors and
    update processor microcode to support latest CPUs.
    2. Added support for special keyboard.
    3. Enabled SMBIOS token for integrated NIC with RPL.
    4. Enabled use of the VESA 4F09h function to correct system splash
    video
    corruption with some AGP video cards.
    5. Added detection code for CPU/Cache failures.
    6. Added new manufacturing mode messages.

    Dell Dimension System BIOS, A09
    Release Date: 4/2/2004
    The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A04 to create A05:

    [This line about going from A04 to A05 is within the A09 description!]

    1. Add support for external system management tools to adjust asset
    tag.
    2. Prevent boot failure in F12 Boot Menu if "Hard-Disk Drive C:" is
    unchecked.
    3. Prevent problems on first customer boot with manually going int
    Utility Partition.

    ***
    Dell Dimension System BIOS, A08
    Release Date: 2/10/2004

    Dell Dimension System BIOS, A03
    Release Date: 8/22/2003

    Thanks again.
    mm, Dec 15, 2010
  13. mm

    mm Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:42:36 -0500, Christopher Muto
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> [This line about going from A04 to A05 is within the A09 description!]
    >>
    >> 1. Add support for external system management tools to adjust asset
    >> tag.
    >> 2. Prevent boot failure in F12 Boot Menu if "Hard-Disk Drive C:" is
    >> unchecked.
    >> 3. Prevent problems on first customer boot with manually going int
    >> Utility Partition.
    >>

    >> ***
    >> Dell Dimension System BIOS, A08
    >> Release Date: 2/10/2004
    >>
    >> Dell Dimension System BIOS, A03
    >> Release Date: 8/22/2003
    >>
    >> Thanks again.

    >it is fine that you now have bios a12 but since you already had a07 this
    >update, as you now understand, was not going to help with your memory
    >problem. changes regarding memory issues were included in bios a02 and
    >a03 as previously mentioned (and snipped).

    FTR, I din't snip anything, and I think it's still there.

    > if the 2 gb is recognized by
    >bios in the primary set of sockets and not the second then it sounds
    >like you have a problem with one of the sockets like ben initially
    >predicted. if you are uncertain which socket it is then just install a
    >single module at a time, moving it from one socket to the next (when the
    >system is powered off of course) and see which one is dead. the
    >numbering in the bios is not necessarily the same as the physically
    >numbering on the board so don't let the fool you.

    Yesterday's plan worked okay, putting the 512 in bank 0 and the 1gig
    in bank 1.

    Thanks to you and everyone for your help.
    mm, Dec 16, 2010