How do I identify an older mobo?

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by gt, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. gt

    gt Guest

    The warranty sticker had this information: 045037--00000 09/23/99.
    I think it might be a super 7 board but I'm not sure. It has a AMD k6
    3D proc installed with one stick of a no name brand 64 MB SIM. We need
    to know what type of memory the board can take. Any help or advice
    would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
     
    gt, Jul 22, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. gt

    Matt Guest

    gt wrote:
    > The warranty sticker had this information: 045037--00000 09/23/99.
    > I think it might be a super 7 board but I'm not sure. It has a AMD k6
    > 3D proc installed with one stick of a no name brand 64 MB SIM. We need
    > to know what type of memory the board can take. Any help or advice
    > would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    >


    When you boot, the BIOS will print an ID string. Google for that string
    and you will be led to the board's make and model and eventually to a
    user manual that you can download.
     
    Matt, Jul 23, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. gt

    gt Guest

    Hi Matt, thanks for the reply. Where and how soon after boot does it
    show the string? That way I know when to press the pause button.
    Thanks.

    Matt wrote:
    > gt wrote:
    > > The warranty sticker had this information: 045037--00000 09/23/99.
    > > I think it might be a super 7 board but I'm not sure. It has a AMD k6
    > > 3D proc installed with one stick of a no name brand 64 MB SIM. We need
    > > to know what type of memory the board can take. Any help or advice
    > > would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    > >

    >
    > When you boot, the BIOS will print an ID string. Google for that string
    > and you will be led to the board's make and model and eventually to a
    > user manual that you can download.
     
    gt, Jul 24, 2005
    #3
  4. gt

    gt Guest

    Hey Mat I found out it is a Super 7 Soyo 5SSM board with SIS 530
    Chipset. The manual says that it supports SDRAM and EDO memory
    modules, but it doesn't say what speed (Pc100, etc.) It can only take
    256mb in each slot up to 768mb total. Any recommendations? Thanks
    again.

    gt wrote:
    > Hi Matt, thanks for the reply. Where and how soon after boot does it
    > show the string? That way I know when to press the pause button.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Matt wrote:
    > > gt wrote:
    > > > The warranty sticker had this information: 045037--00000 09/23/99.
    > > > I think it might be a super 7 board but I'm not sure. It has a AMD k6
    > > > 3D proc installed with one stick of a no name brand 64 MB SIM. We need
    > > > to know what type of memory the board can take. Any help or advice
    > > > would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    > > >

    > >
    > > When you boot, the BIOS will print an ID string. Google for that string
    > > and you will be led to the board's make and model and eventually to a
    > > user manual that you can download.
     
    gt, Jul 25, 2005
    #4
  5. gt

    Matt Guest

    gt wrote:
    > Hey Mat I found out it is a Super 7 Soyo 5SSM board with SIS 530
    > Chipset. The manual says that it supports SDRAM and EDO memory
    > modules, but it doesn't say what speed (Pc100, etc.)


    That would be unusual.

    > It can only take
    > 256mb in each slot up to 768mb total. Any recommendations? Thanks
    > again.


    Unless I am wrong, you are not going for bleeding edge performance. I
    expect it will take any old non-DDR SDRAM. Put in anything you have or
    can scrounge. I wouldn't buy any new RAM for it. Possibly you can find
    some cheap on ebay but buying used computer stuff on ebay tends to be
    problemmatic.

    Is it an ATX board?
     
    Matt, Jul 26, 2005
    #5
  6. gt

    gt Guest

    No it is a micro atx board. Unfortunately I don't have any computers
    to scrounge from but I warned them ahead of time that they would pay a
    little more for old memory.
     
    gt, Jul 26, 2005
    #6
  7. gt

    farmuse Guest

    try hardocp or pcper forums, google to find them. the forum members
    are good traders usually, just bought 2x 128 PC133 CAS 2 for $15
    shipped. ebay is okay, but the forum members of those web sites are more
    computer savy and are more likely to ask decent prices and they are more
    likely to handle the ram modules properly ie no static. good luck.

    gt wrote:
    > No it is a micro atx board. Unfortunately I don't have any computers
    > to scrounge from but I warned them ahead of time that they would pay a
    > little more for old memory.
    >
     
    farmuse, Jul 27, 2005
    #7
  8. gt

    gt Guest

    Does Soyo recommend a certain memory manufactuer for their boards?
    I've gone to Kingston, Corsair, Micron, Crucial, and Wintech, but
    Crucial is the only one that actualy matched a module to the specific
    motherboard model as being guarranteed to work. Thanks for the
    suggestions farmuse.
     
    gt, Jul 27, 2005
    #8
  9. gt

    farmuse Guest

    I have used modules based on Samsung chips with success, and all
    the old micron stuff is usually a good choice. be aware that the K6 2
    cannot cache more than 256 MB ram if I am not mistaken. sure, you can
    put 768 in there, but the cpu cannot effectively use or cache more than
    256. the K6 III can cache 512.

    gt wrote:
    > Does Soyo recommend a certain memory manufactuer for their boards?
    > I've gone to Kingston, Corsair, Micron, Crucial, and Wintech, but
    > Crucial is the only one that actualy matched a module to the specific
    > motherboard model as being guarranteed to work. Thanks for the
    > suggestions farmuse.
    >
     
    farmuse, Aug 1, 2005
    #9
  10. gt

    gt Guest

    I'm not sure which K6 it is for sure. It is listed as K6 3D processor
    in the system properties. Against my advice I think they went to a
    computer repair place in town because they told them they could put
    memory in for $39. I don't know what make or model. I think they also
    got a worm because they cannot access their system properties. It says
    access denied to device, file, or path. Windows 98 doesn't have any
    permissions that I know of. But they were surfing with No protection,
    which I warned them against. Anyway, thanks for your help guys.
     
    gt, Aug 2, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ron
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    295
  2. J.Lef

    Looking for older mobo

    J.Lef, Jun 21, 2005, in forum: Asus
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    271
  3. Replies:
    8
    Views:
    2,696
    SleeperMan
    Mar 20, 2006
  4. Karl Burrows

    Older Intel 440BX Mobo - CD-ROM Errors

    Karl Burrows, May 6, 2004, in forum: Intel
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    358
    Eric Gisin
    May 7, 2004
  5. maron
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    344
    Phil Lefebvre
    Jul 29, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page