How do I underclock a Athlon XP 2800+

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by AMDRyan, Jun 23, 2005.

  1. AMDRyan

    AMDRyan Guest

    Hi, I have been recently having problems with my computer, but only
    with a certain game, I heard that underclocking slightly might fix the
    problem, is there anyone that can tell me how to underclock my
    computer?

    Here are my specs:

    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    2.08 GHZ
    512 MB DDR-SDRAM
    Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc nForce2 AGP Controller
    Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)

    Video System
    Monitor/Panel : hp mx703 Color Monitor
    Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/AMD-Thunderbird-underclock-Athlon-XP-2800-ftopict57853.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291921

    1. Advertising

  2. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:35:49 -0400, AMDRyan wrote:

    > Hi, I have been recently having problems with my computer, but only
    > with a certain game, I heard that underclocking slightly might fix the
    > problem, is there anyone that can tell me how to underclock my
    > computer?

    Lower multiplier, or lower FSB speed. Although, I'd try raising vcore a
    little first. There's no reason it shouldn't be stable at default speed.

  3. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    AMDRyan wrote:
    > Hi, I have been recently having problems with my computer, but only
    > with a certain game, I heard that underclocking slightly might fix the
    > problem, is there anyone that can tell me how to underclock my
    > computer?
    >
    > Here are my specs:
    >
    > AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    > 2.08 GHZ
    > 512 MB DDR-SDRAM
    > Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc nForce2 AGP Controller
    > Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)
    > Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM
    > Memory Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)
    >
    > Video System
    > Monitor/Panel : hp mx703 Color Monitor
    > Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES
    > Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary

    Which game is it? There are a couple newer games that require updated
    video and sound drivers. Make sure you have the current ones. I ran into
    this problem with Half Life 2 as well as Call of Duty. At the time I was
    trying to play Call of Duty I had a Radeon 9600. I updated video and
    sound drivers and the game stopped crashing. With Half Life 2 I was
    running a Radeon 9800 Pro which is currently in my system. Also
    defragging the hard drive stopped the stuttering in HL2. I know you
    didn't mention that problem but thought I'd throw it in there. Good luck.