    install/work on this machine? for server purposes?

    thanks,
    charles.....
    ***** charles, Feb 27, 2006

  2. ***** charles

    Flow Guest

    What is Linux?

    Flow, Feb 27, 2006

  3. ***** charles

    BC Guest

    ***** charles wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am thinking of getting a new GT24. I noticed that it has Broadcom
    > based ethernet. I have also heard that Broadcom doesn't support
    > Linux all that well. So my question is - how well will RH/Debian
    > install/work on this machine? for server purposes?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/os_support2.html

    Looks like the GT24 has a 2891 motherboard in it. From:

    OS Support Matrix | page 1 | page 2 | page 3 |

    Note: Due to the number of embedded components/chipsets that are on the
    motherboards, and the variety of OS's/Distributions that are available,
    it is always a good idea to double check with Tech Support if there is
    any question about what drivers are/aren't supported. In the majority
    of the cases if the OS is listed as supported then all
    components/chipsets will also have support, but it is not so in every
    single situation.

    Looks like SuSE and Red Hat are supported.

    Driver downloads page:

    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/drivers_linux.html

    And, looks like Broadcom is trying:

    http://www.endemolent.co.uk/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php

    <<
    97.) What is the Linux tg3 driver?

    To better support users, Broadcom has been actively supporting,
    maintaining, and testing the in-kernel tg3 driver for well over a year.
    Broadcom has officially released the tg3 driver as a package, and the
    tg3 driver is now the Linux driver that Broadcom will support for the
    NetXtreme product line. Accordingly, Broadcom will discontinue support
    for the bcm5700 driver and no longer provide updates.

    The tg3 driver package released by Broadcom is based on the lastest
    in-kernel tg3 driver with some added compatibility code to make it
    backwards compatible with most 2.6 kernels and some 2.4 kernels
    (generally newer than 2.4.24). If you are using the latest upstream
    kernel from www.kernel.org, you generally do not need to download the
    tg3 driver package from Broadcom as the latest upstream kernel has the
    latest tg3 patches.

    There are a few minor differences to be aware of if you are migrating
    from the bcm5700 driver to the tg3 driver. The tg3 driver does not
    support the Broadcom proprietary load balancing software module known as
    BASP. The Linux bonding driver and 8021q driver provide similar
    functionalities and can be used with tg3. BASP will also be
    discontinued. The tg3 driver also does not support module parameters to
    configure the device (line speed, flow control, ring sizes, etc) but
    relies on standard Linux utilities such as ethtool. Other than these
    differences, the two drivers are very similar in terms of hardware
    support, robustness, and performance.

    You could bypass the built in controller if it is going to be a problem,
    and get a card: but, this one from Intel cost more than I expected it
    would:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833106209

    If you don't need dual LAN, there are several must less expensive but
    high quality options.

    Getting the Broadcom to work is mentioned in this exchange:

    http://www.nabble.com/Nice-server-board-for-AMD64-EM64T--t605708.html

    HTH,

    BC
    BC, Feb 27, 2006