How good is on-mobo Radeon HD 3200 and what would be a step up?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Al Dykes, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    The mobo I am looking at has ATI Radeon HD 3200 as on-board video. I
    think I want to put a better video card on it. Any suggestions or
    comments?

    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/t-series/content.php?S_ID=344

    It looks like this is the next step up but at $25, I wonder if it's
    any better than the mobo chip.

    EVGA 256-P2-N429-LR GeForce 7200GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130098

    It looks like $100 bucks gets lots of video card these days, but how
    much should I spend on it? I am predisposed to ATI.

    I have a 19 inch monitor and like the 1600x1200 setting. I want to be
    able to do good HDTV video from a Blue-Ray player. I don't play any
    games.

    On a tangent, I'm trying to confirm that teh Mobo video can be turned
    off and one in the slot sused. I see this in the BIOS manual;

    Primary Video Controller
    This option allows you to select the video controller in charge.

    Does this mean a second video card will be recognized?

    --
    Al Dykes

    Al Dykes, Feb 4, 2009

  2. Al Dykes

    andy Guest

    Try using the onboard graphics first. If you find it lacking, look for
    a faster pci-e graphics card.

    andy, Feb 4, 2009