    How hard/tricky is it to remove and replace an Athlon processor on a
    2002 vintage SOHO motherboard?

    -- jim
    jim evans, Dec 20, 2006

  2. Usually not hard, but don't forget to clean and reapply new thermal grease
    on the processor before installing it's fan.
    Which board and which processors are you working with?
    You may have to tweak the BIOS though and maybe change a jumper on the
    board.

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Dec 20, 2006

  3. jim evans

    jim evans Guest

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:37:22 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
    <> wrote:

    >Which board and which processors are you working with?
    >You may have to tweak the BIOS though and maybe change a jumper on the
    >board.

    K7VTA Pro

    -- jim
    jim evans, Dec 20, 2006
  4. dave AKA vwdoc1, Dec 20, 2006
  5. jim evans

    jim evans Guest

    Thanks for your reply and help.

    I may also upgrade the BIOS. I notice there's a K7VTA Pro and a
    K7VTA Pro v1. How do I tell which I have?

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:46:45 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
    <> wrote:

    >video here
    >http://soyotek.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=302
    >
    >manual here
    >http://soyotek.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2100
    >
    >misc here
    >http://soyotek.com/search/?gosearch=1&query=K7VTA Pro
    >

    >"jim evans" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:37:22 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Which board and which processors are you working with?
    >>>You may have to tweak the BIOS though and maybe change a jumper on the
    >>>board.

    >> K7VTA Pro
    >>
    >> -- jim

    -- jim
    jim evans, Dec 20, 2006
  6. jim evans

    <> wrote:

    >Usually not hard, but don't forget to clean and reapply new thermal grease
    >on the processor before installing it's fan.

    In the SOYO videos you link to it says not to use grease and to us a
    thermal pad instead. The seem to say grease doesn't last.

    -- jim
    jim evans, Dec 20, 2006
  7. Good I am glad you saw that video.
    I think that the grease is good if you are constantly taking the processor
    fan and processor in and out while testing. Just remove the old grease and
    reapply some new grease.
    Pad is supposed to be better for the long run and it doesn't run when it
    gets too hot like the grease will. The grease should last awhile though
    before you might have to reapply it.

    You should be able to set some safety measures in the BIOS so that if the
    processor gets too hot the computer will shut down before any serious
    damage. I had a test computer to try it out on and it works. I installed
    the fan without any thermal aid and while running Windows the computer beep
    and then shut down. After installing the grease the temp drop by maybe 30
    degrees. 8^o

    later,
    dave
    (One out of many daves)

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Dec 20, 2006
  8. Look carefully on the Board and it might show which one it is.

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Dec 20, 2006
  9. jim evans

    jim evans Guest

    Hi again Dave

    Thanks for all your help.

    When I got to the point of changing the processor I realized these videos only
    discuss changing the heatsink. They don't explain how to remove the processor?

    Are there any special instructions for prying the processor out of its socket?

    "dave AKA vwdoc1" <> wrote:

    >video here
    >http://soyotek.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=302
    >
    >manual here
    >http://soyotek.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2100
    >
    >misc here
    >http://soyotek.com/search/?gosearch=1&query=K7VTA Pro
    >

    >"jim evans" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:37:22 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Which board and which processors are you working with?
    >>>You may have to tweak the BIOS though and maybe change a jumper on the
    >>>board.

    >> K7VTA Pro
    >>
    >> -- jim

    jim
    jim evans, Dec 30, 2006
  10. jim evans

    f/fgeorge Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:54:51 -0600, jim evans
    <> wrote:

    >Hi again Dave
    >
    >Thanks for all your help.
    >
    >When I got to the point of changing the processor I realized these videos only
    >discuss changing the heatsink. They don't explain how to remove the processor?
    >
    >Are there any special instructions for prying the processor out of its socket?

    NEVER pry a cpu out of its socket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There is ALWAYS an easy way to get it in or out. Most of the time
    there is a lever to one side of the chip. Gently push down o nthe
    lever and move it SLIGHTLY away from the chip. It should life up and
    then you can life the chip straight up and out. ALWAYS make sure you
    are grounded before you play with anything inside the box.
    To install the chip look VERY carefully at the arrangement of the
    pins, you will see one corner that is not a perfect square. That and
    the exact same place on the mb must be aligned and the cpu will slip
    right into its place. Remember to lift the lever before inserting and
    then lock the lever when the cpu is seated. BE GENTLE! If you bend a
    pin the cpu will not work!!!!!!!!! Yes pins can be straigtened, but
    again BE GENTLE!!!!!
    f/fgeorge, Dec 30, 2006
  11. You just lift up that little arm on the side of the socket which should
    release the processor's pins and it should easily pull out of the socket.
    That arm may have a slight catch on it locking it in the down position so
    look carefully at it.
    You will also note that the processor will/should only fit in the socket one
    way. EASY!
    (It used to be that it could be installed four different ways possibly
    damaging the processor when you tried booting up the computer.)
    Don't forget some thermal treatment on the processor you are installing!

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Dec 30, 2006