    Thank you in advance,
    Patty
    , Oct 31, 2006

  2. DaveW Guest

    The MAXIMUM working limit for the CPU temp is 70 C. You are frying it. It
    sounds like you are using an inappropriate case that does not have anywhere
    near enough case fans to cool the interior. I honestly think you need a
    better designed case for your components.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Oct 31, 2006

  3. DRS Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just installed an MSI 975x Platinum Powerup mobo and a Zalman CPU
    > cooler in my case.
    > The only other fan in the case is on the low end Geforce 6600 card, a
    > small fan on the side of the case and a new power supply with a single
    > fan (from PC Power and Cooling).
    >
    > Am not overclocking anything.
    >
    > Temp I am getting idle is 198F on the CPU with the Zalman fan. This is
    > about 92 Celsius
    >
    > Is this okay?

    It's very bad. Do not run your PC until you have fixed the problem. My
    guess is the CPU cooler is improperly installed. Did you use a thermal
    paste?
    DRS, Nov 1, 2006
  4. Guest

    Used thermal paste and will take apart Zalman and see if I can
    reinstall with more paste to ensure it has an even fit. Hard to get it
    right I read in the manual and to be careful.

    Not sure why but reading say -128C why negative?? Also says -198F using
    Speedfan utility.

    Thanks, Patty
    DRS wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Just installed an MSI 975x Platinum Powerup mobo and a Zalman CPU
    > > cooler in my case.
    > > The only other fan in the case is on the low end Geforce 6600 card, a
    > > small fan on the side of the case and a new power supply with a single
    > > fan (from PC Power and Cooling).
    > >
    > > Am not overclocking anything.
    > >
    > > Temp I am getting idle is 198F on the CPU with the Zalman fan. This is
    > > about 92 Celsius
    > >
    > > Is this okay?

    > It's very bad. Do not run your PC until you have fixed the problem. My
    > guess is the CPU cooler is improperly installed. Did you use a thermal
    > paste?
    , Nov 1, 2006
  5. Mike Pelley Guest

    I'd say NOT to use more paste! Too much paste and you end up without
    effective heat transfer. SMALL amount of paste and a razor blade at a
    45 degree angle with firm pressure. A "BB" sized drop should be more
    than enough.

    Mike Pelley, Nov 1, 2006
  6. Phil Guest

    Which Zalman cooler are you using? It sounds like a classic case of bad
    contact between heatsink and CPU heatspreader. Also, where is this reading
    coming from, the BIOS?

    Core 2 Duo chips, including the E6600, have 3 temperature sensors: 1 thermal
    diode on the CPU die, and 2 digital thermal sensors, one near each core. The
    BIOS, in addition to programs such as speedfan and whatever monitoring
    application comes with your mobo, typically read the CPU temp from the
    thermal diode. It's also possible that they are reading from a sensor on the
    mobo, itself. To read the core temps, measured by the two digital thermal
    sensors, download CoreTemp.

    http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

    There should be a difference of between 10C and 20C between the thermal
    diode and the two core digital thermal sensors, the core temps being the
    higher of the two. This is so because the core digital thermal sensors are
    located on a hotter part of the CPU die. As a rule of thumb, the main CPU
    temp should be lower than 60C at load, and the core temps should be lower
    than 75C at load.

    It would actually help to know your core temps, to diagnose whether or not
    this 92C is a bogus reading.

    -phil

    Phil, Nov 1, 2006
  7. Phil Guest

    Phil, Nov 1, 2006
  8. DRS Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > DRS wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    [...]

    >>> Temp I am getting idle is 198F on the CPU with the Zalman fan. This
    >>> is about 92 Celsius
    >>>
    >>> Is this okay?

    >> It's very bad. Do not run your PC until you have fixed the problem.
    >> My guess is the CPU cooler is improperly installed. Did you use a
    >> thermal paste?

    > Used thermal paste and will take apart Zalman and see if I can
    > reinstall with more paste to ensure it has an even fit. Hard to get it
    > right I read in the manual and to be careful.

    Do NOT use too much thermal paste. Too much can be as bad as too little.
    You only need a thin, even smear across the CPU surface that will fill in
    the microscopic pits in the surface, thus ensuring a more even contact with
    the heatsink. Too much will act as an insulator, exactly the opposite of
    what you want.

    > Not sure why but reading say -128C why negative?? Also says -198F
    > using Speedfan utility.

    I haven't used SpeedFan for ages but my guess is it may not be configured
    for your motherboard.
    DRS, Nov 1, 2006
  9. NO, IT'S NOT OK.

    You have something catastrophically wrong. I hope that the CPU hasn't
    been damaged.

    My E6600 runs typically between 39 and 44 degress (Celsius). I believe
    that this is typical. If it was doing something "stressful", it rises
    .... gets to upper 40's. I don't think I've ever seen a "5" as the first
    digit.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 1, 2006
  10. The case has nothing to do with it. A Core 2 Duo with a properly
    mounted heatsink and no fan at all probably would not get that hot. You
    are right, she's frying it. But the issue is with the CPU heatsink itself.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 1, 2006
  11. NO ... MORE THERMAL PASTE IS NOT THE ANSWER.

    The correct amount of thermal paste is 1 to 3 grains of rice in size.
    When a heatsink is properly mounted, the thermal paste gets "squished"
    down to a thickness of less than a sheet of paper ... the excess oozes
    out the sides (where, if it's conductive, it can cause damage). Thermal
    paste is basically bad, not good, it's only there because no one knows
    how to make TWO metal surfaces that are absolutely flat (at a
    microsocopic level).

    You have the heatsink mounted improperly, or perhaps you didn't remove a
    protective plastic coating.

    Also, FWIW, unless you are overclocking (and overclocking a lot, and
    very aggressively), there is no reason to use any heatsink/fan other
    than the standard Intel one. These chips run very cool, as I said in my
    heatsink (E6600, just run "normally").

    Barry Watzman, Nov 1, 2006
  12. A better program to actually measure the temperatures of the CPU is the
    actual Intel "Thermal Analysis Tool" (TAT), which reads the actual core
    temperatures. It's hard to find, but a link was posted here in this
    newsgroup not too long ago (last 4 to 12 weeks). It gives separate
    readings for each core.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 1, 2006
  13. Phil Guest

    TAT and CoreTemp read from the same digital thermal sensors. In fact, I use
    both.

    You can grab TAT here:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392/mirrors.php

    -phil

    Phil, Nov 1, 2006
  14. Guest

    Okay, I remounted the Zalman fan. I downloaded the Core Temp program
    and it is showing about 42 C for each core at idle.

    The damn Speedfan program (perhaps someone can try this) is showing
    whacked out temps. Perhaps there are too many setting there and it (me)
    is not picking the right chip set and so on....

    So perhaps I am good to go.

    ??

    Thanks!!
    Patty

    , Nov 1, 2006
  15. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Used thermal paste and will take apart Zalman and see if I can
    > reinstall with more paste to ensure it has an even fit. Hard to get it
    > right I read in the manual and to be careful.
    >
    > Not sure why but reading say -128C why negative?? Also says -198F using
    > Speedfan utility.

    Does the motherboard come with any temperature monitoring software ?
    You should use the utility provided by the motherboard manufacturer
    if you can. For example, the "Dual Core Center" utility has a
    temperature readout. What temperature is listed in there ?

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 1, 2006
  16. Phil Guest

    Core temps of ~42C are right about where I'd expect them to be, under normal
    conditions. So, it would appear that there's a good chance that other temp
    reading is bogus. Is this 92C the reading from Speedfan AUX? What does the
    monitoring software that came with your mobo give for temps?

    -phil

    Phil, Nov 1, 2006
  17. DRS Guest

    http://anonforums.com/builds/TAT.zip
    DRS, Nov 1, 2006
  18. Guest

    Well Thermal analysis tanked with an error message. Various MSI
    utilities showed the same abnormal temperatures as Speedfan.
    I will call up MSI tomorrow and see what gives as compared to the Core
    Temp tool.
    Core temp gives a good reading.
    Something is amiss somewhere.
    Will take it into CompUSA if this keeps up as it is getting on my
    nerves now.

    Thanks
    Patty

  19. Phil Guest

    Yeah, you may need to get that board replaced. If your CPU was truly 92C, it
    would throttle down or simply shut itself down. Download Throttlewatch:

    http://www.panopsys.com/downloads/ThrottleWatch_2_0_1.zip

    This app will tell if the CPU is being throttled-down.

    -phil

    Phil, Nov 1, 2006
  20. Guest

    Thanks.
    Downloaded Throttlewatch and it shows the correct speed at idle and at
    8%. So I do not think it is throttling down.

    MSI told me the mobo may have a bad DIGICELL chip. But when I read some
    other posts on their forum it says other people are getting wrong temp
    readings from their CoreCenter utilities, PCAlert and that
    DualCorCenter does not run for some (including me).

    Thanks

    Patty