    Do these AMD K-6 2/3 give signs if overheating?

    Regards

    Richard

    Richard, May 11, 2006

  2. Richard

    Rus Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in news:4cgnchF161q8uU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Hi,

    > Do these AMD K-6 2/3 give signs if overheating?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Richard

    Yes. They smoke and burn.

    There were interesting videos available on the web a year or so ago. I
    think they were hosted by anandtec.com. Maybe the videos are still around
    on the net. Just now, however, I couldn't find them in a quick search at
    anandtech.

    The videos showed an experiment where the heat sink/fan was pulled off of
    Intel and AMD CPU's to see what would happen when they overheated.

    During normal operation, the heat sink/fan was removed from the Intel CPU.
    Within a short time, it slowed its processing but it did not smoke and did
    not burn. Once the heat sink was replaced, the Intel CPU speeded up to
    normal processing speed. No apparent damage done.

    Similarly, during normal operation, the heat sink/fan was removed from the
    AMD CPU. Smoke was quickly evident and the overheating continued until
    charring occurred. Of course, they didn't bother replacing the heat
    sink/fan because the AMD CPU had destroyed itself. As I remember, the
    total destruction took place in about one minute or less of real time.

    So, I would have to say that since you mention "AMD" specifically, heat is
    a major concern with, at least, some models of AMD CPU's. I would guess
    the old K6 is certainly one of the affected models.

    I think the best advice is use good grease applied sparingly in accordance
    with manufacturers instructions. Couple that with a good heat sink and a
    good fan.

    Independent studies suggest that the type of grease isn't all that
    important. Some swear by "silver" compounds and so forth and so on.
    Mainly, the proper application of a thin film seems to be most important.
    You'll find many tutorials on the web. They usually start you off by
    telling you to gather up an old credit card to use as a spreader.

    //rus\\

    Rus, May 12, 2006

  3. Richard

    Rus Guest

    Just did a little more looking. It wasn't AnandTech. It was Tom's
    Hardware.com

    Rus, May 12, 2006
  4. Richard

    Rus Guest

    Rus <> wrote in news:Xns97C121BC21C7A98270982304987102398@
    216.196.97.142:

    > Just did a little more looking. It wasn't AnandTech. It was Tom's
    > Hardware.com

    Found it:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2001/09/17/hot_spot/page6.html

    You'll need the DivX codec if you don't have it. Also downloadable at that
    page.

    //rus\\

    Rus, May 12, 2006
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Thanks Rus about the advices.

    I have greased it this morning to be on the safe side.

    I must also presume that there are some cpu management softwares that could
    come into play to prevent damages to cpus (and they most likely are cpu
    specific). May be that the experiments were a little bit flawed?

    Thanks

    Richard, May 12, 2006